318 auto debate

Old July 10th 06, 03:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

Default 318 auto debate

just popped in from alt legal, where a storm is brewing over this news
article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/5094840.stm

Can a 318 auto owner (past or present) tell me
Is it possible to shift into neutral, from drive with the engine
running ?
Cheers

Old July 10th 06, 04:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

> wrote
> just popped in from alt legal, where a storm is brewing over this news
> article
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/5094840.stm
>
> Can a 318 auto owner (past or present) tell me
> Is it possible to shift into neutral, from drive with the engine
> running ?

This has already been discussed he "Gas pedal stuck doing 130mph for 60
miles", "High speed runaway", and "Runaway BMW update" are the threads.

1) it's certainly possible to shift into neutral.
2) turning the ignition off won't lock the steering, unless the key is
removed.
3) he was a moron

FloydR

Old July 10th 06, 04:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

Floyd Rogers wrote:
> > wrote
> > just popped in from alt legal, where a storm is brewing over this news
> > article
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/5094840.stm
> >
> > Can a 318 auto owner (past or present) tell me
> > Is it possible to shift into neutral, from drive with the engine
> > running ?

> This has already been discussed he "Gas pedal stuck doing 130mph for 60
> miles", "High speed runaway", and "Runaway BMW update" are the threads.
>
> 1) it's certainly possible to shift into neutral.
> 2) turning the ignition off won't lock the steering, unless the key is
> removed.
> 3) he was a moron
>
> FloydR

thanks

Old July 10th 06, 05:02 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> just popped in from alt legal, where a storm is brewing over this news
> article
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/5094840.stm
>
> Can a 318 auto owner (past or present) tell me
> Is it possible to shift into neutral, from drive with the engine
> running ?
> Cheers

It is possible to shift any car from D to N.

I have never seen a lockout in this direction of the shifter. There is also
no lockout when shifting from N to D.

One will encounter a lockout when shifting into or out of P, into R but not
out of R, and into lower gears from D, but not out of lower gears into D.

This is standard operation of an automatic transmission, any variance is at
the whim of the automaker. Since the automakers like to make stuff as easy
as possible for the operators of their products, they generally use as few
lockouts as they can get away with, where the lockout is activated by
pulling the gear shift lever -- on a column shift -- towards the steering
wheel, or -- on a floor mounted shifter -- by pressing a button or
physically moving the shift lever through a series of gates. (This ignores
the requirement to step on the brake pedal as an additional lockout for
getting out of P -- which is a relatively new requirement in the history of
automobiles.)

Old July 10th 06, 05:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

"Floyd Rogers" > wrote in message
> > wrote
>> just popped in from alt legal, where a storm is brewing over this news
>> article
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/5094840.stm
>>
>> Can a 318 auto owner (past or present) tell me
>> Is it possible to shift into neutral, from drive with the engine
>> running ?

> This has already been discussed he "Gas pedal stuck doing 130mph for
> 60 miles", "High speed runaway", and "Runaway BMW update" are the threads.
>
> 1) it's certainly possible to shift into neutral.
> 2) turning the ignition off won't lock the steering, unless the key is
> removed.
> 3) he was a moron

And, since he survived, odds are good he is still a moron.

Old July 10th 06, 06:43 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Rex B[_1_]

> "Floyd Rogers" > wrote in message
>> > wrote
>>> just popped in from alt legal, where a storm is brewing over this news
>>> article
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/5094840.stm
>>>
>>> Can a 318 auto owner (past or present) tell me
>>> Is it possible to shift into neutral, from drive with the engine
>>> running ?

>> This has already been discussed he "Gas pedal stuck doing 130mph
>> for 60 miles", "High speed runaway", and "Runaway BMW update" are the
>> threads.
>>
>> 1) it's certainly possible to shift into neutral.
>> 2) turning the ignition off won't lock the steering, unless the key
>> is removed.
>> 3) he was a moron

> And, since he survived, odds are good he is still a moron.

Darwin was cheated
Old July 10th 06, 07:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com>,
> wrote:
> just popped in from alt legal, where a storm is brewing over this news
> article

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/5094840.stm

It's old news in the UK and has been done to death.

> Can a 318 auto owner (past or present) tell me
> Is it possible to shift into neutral, from drive with the engine
> running ?

You can on any auto. Or just turn the engine off without removing the key
as any sensible person would have done - you'd have kept the power
steering and brakes down to about 30 mph before the TC allowed the engine
to stop. And the brakes would still work normally after that - only the
steering would get a bit heavy, but not unmanageable.

In UK language, the driver is a ******. ;-)

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 12th 06, 02:08 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> > wrote:
>> just popped in from alt legal, where a storm is brewing over this news
>> article

>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/5094840.stm

> It's old news in the UK and has been done to death.

Is this about THAT?. Sheesh! I shoulda seen that one. the idiot only needed
to switch the key off and enjoy coasting to a stop. He could elect to shift
into N, but that is not required. It's certainly possible, but not required.

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Replace Manual Trans w/ Auto Dean Jeep 2 December 1st 04 07:51 AM
Auto Shipper Beware Steve Sears Antique cars 0 May 28th 04 05:58 PM