(Atten: DS) Tenrai bulbs

Old July 10th 05, 05:07 PM
Bill Putney

Default (Atten: DS) Tenrai bulbs

Daniel,
Ever heard of these bulbs?

http://300mclub.100megs42.com/forums...?p=82521#82521

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old July 10th 05, 07:48 PM
Sarge

"Bill Putney" wrote in message: "Ever heard of these bulbs?"

I believe they are similar to the blue headlights used in Europe.

Old July 12th 05, 12:04 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Bill Putney wrote:

> Daniel,
> Ever heard of these bulbs?
>
> http://300mclub.100megs42.com/forums...?p=82521#82521

A very good working definition of "insanity" is doing the same thing
repeatedly and expecting a different result from iteration to iteration.

Say it again: IF A HALOGEN BULB IS ADVERTISED OR DESCRIBED IN ANY WAY,
SHAPE OR FORM AS "CLOSE TO HID" or "EXTRA WHITE", IT IS JUNK! DO NOT USE
IT! IT PUTS OUT LESS LIGHT THAN A BULB WITH CLEAR GLASS!

I'm sorry, Bill, I know you're just asking a question, but after ten years
you'd think the message would get through. It doesn't matter whose name is
on the package.
Old July 12th 05, 12:06 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Sarge wrote:

> I believe they are similar to the blue headlights used in Europe.

No, they aren't similar to anything used in Europe.

Learn:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...blue/blue.html

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

DS
Old July 12th 05, 12:17 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Just to clarify, my rant here is NOT directed at Bill Putney. It's
directed at the marketeers who keep on sticking new labels and names onto
the same Chinese garbage bulbs in the same plastic clamshell packaging,
and the squirrels who keep posting to internet forums "D00d! I found the
KEWLEST new bulbz, they are JUST LIKE HID XENON bling bling yo!".

Old July 12th 05, 01:01 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Oh yeah, one more thing (in case anyone's copying posts and links and
stuff from Usenet posts onto internet forums or anything):

Beside the color of the glass, filament placement/focus within the bulb
REALLY matters. Fractions of a millimetre make enormous differences in the
beam focus. See these two beam diagrams (One specific fog lamp tested with
two different bulbs whose filament position differed slightly). The top
beam is in focus, the bottom beam very definitely is not!:

http://dastern.torque.net/Photometry/bulbsmatter.jpg

Old July 12th 05, 02:12 AM
Bill Putney

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Bill Putney wrote:
>

>>Daniel,
>>Ever heard of these bulbs?
>>
>>http://300mclub.100megs42.com/forums...?p=82521#82521

> A very good working definition of "insanity" is doing the same thing
> repeatedly and expecting a different result from iteration to iteration.
>
> Say it again: IF A HALOGEN BULB IS ADVERTISED OR DESCRIBED IN ANY WAY,
> SHAPE OR FORM AS "CLOSE TO HID" or "EXTRA WHITE", IT IS JUNK! DO NOT USE
> IT! IT PUTS OUT LESS LIGHT THAN A BULB WITH CLEAR GLASS!
>
> I'm sorry, Bill, I know you're just asking a question, but after ten years
> you'd think the message would get through. It doesn't matter whose name is
> on the package.

I started this thread just prior to someone posting a photo of the
packaging and bulbs on the 300M forums - once I saw the blue tint on the
bulbs in the photos, I knew I was in for an a$$ whuppin'. 8^)

BTW - the packaging doesn't just say "CLOSE TO HID" - it literally says
"HID", period. I recently saw a thread about a certain bulb on another
forum in which the manufacturer's specs. we "Input: 65 watts/Output:
100 watts". One ah dem power generatin', perpetual motion bulbs, Bubba!

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old July 12th 05, 03:39 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Bill Putney wrote:

> BTW - the packaging doesn't just say "CLOSE TO HID" - it literally says
> "HID", period. I recently saw a thread about a certain bulb on another
> forum in which the manufacturer's specs. we "Input: 65 watts/Output:
> 100 watts". One ah dem power generatin', perpetual motion bulbs, Bubba!

Sounds like a solution to the oil shortage. Everyone install blue bulbs as
a matter of National Security!

Meanwhile, the ideas expressed by the army research doctor in this article
seem somehow, I donno, *familiar* to me:
http://tinyurl.com/85kud

DS
Old July 12th 05, 08:22 AM
Bill Putney

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005, Bill Putney wrote:
>

>>BTW - the packaging doesn't just say "CLOSE TO HID" - it literally says
>>"HID", period. I recently saw a thread about a certain bulb on another
>>forum in which the manufacturer's specs. we "Input: 65 watts/Output:
>>100 watts". One ah dem power generatin', perpetual motion bulbs, Bubba!

> Sounds like a solution to the oil shortage. Everyone install blue bulbs as
> a matter of National Security!
>
> Meanwhile, the ideas expressed by the army research doctor in this article
> seem somehow, I donno, *familiar* to me:
> http://tinyurl.com/85kud
>
> DS

The article says about blue LED's: "Buyers are taking matters into their
own hands, and have devised a variety of methods to tame their LEDs,
including covering them with tape or card, disconnecting them and
coating them with layers of black ink."

Would you recommend that for blue tinted headlights, too, Dan? 8^)

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old July 12th 05, 04:49 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Bill Putney wrote:

> > Meanwhile, the ideas expressed by the army research doctor in this
> > article seem somehow, I donno, *familiar* to me:
> > http://tinyurl.com/85kud

> The article says about blue LED's: "Buyers are taking matters into their
> own hands, and have devised a variety of methods to tame their LEDs,
> including covering them with tape or card, disconnecting them and
> coating them with layers of black ink." Would you recommend that for
> blue tinted headlights, too, Dan? 8^)

At this time I assert my Fifth and Second Amendment rights. ;-)