Seeking additional info abour repairs to a Jeep

Old July 9th 05, 09:39 PM

On 2005-07-09 said:
>Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.autos.tech
>Mike Romain proclaimed:

[snip]

>Since Bush Gas, I haven't been able to run Texaco, Chevron, or Shell
>regular in a 95 4.0 without mild ping. Recently the local Valero
>station ran out of midgrade, and it seems that their regular will
>actually run without ping.

I recently noticed the nearby (40 miles away) Diamond Shamrock (soon
to be called Valero) pumps have sprouted gasohol stickers. Small-town
station, no known additive strictures. Seems to run OK, unlike
Albuquerque wintertime-mandated gasohol, which noticably slows my
Honda Civic.

Comment?

Tom Willmon
near Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered
Old July 10th 05, 05:56 PM
Stephen Cowell

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message =
> Stephen Cowell wrote:
> >=20
> > "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message =

> >=20
> >=20

approx

> > > This is a giant bottle of snake oil. You can buy a few small =

bottles of
> > > snake oil at the auto parts store and pour one in with every fill =

up for the
> > > next several weeks.

> >=20
> > Or just use Chevron gasoline... Shell gas also has
> > the high-tech additives in it now. This is one service
> > you don't need... major boondoggle.
> > __
> > Steve
> > .

>=20
> I just tried a tank of that Shell 91 octane super crap on a trip and =

my
> engine went insane!

Follow your owner's manual when choosing
octane grades... it was not the brand, I'm=20
betting.
__
Steve
..

Old July 10th 05, 06:02 PM
Mike Romain

Stephen Cowell wrote:

> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message ...
> > Stephen Cowell wrote:

> > > Or just use Chevron gasoline... Shell gas also has
> > > the high-tech additives in it now. This is one service
> > > you don't need... major boondoggle.
> > > __
> > > Steve
> > > .

> > I just tried a tank of that Shell 91 octane super crap on a trip and my
> > engine went insane!

> Follow your owner's manual when choosing
> octane grades... it was not the brand, I'm
> betting.
> __
> Steve
> .

It was the additives I am sure. It has happened before.

I was running hot, hard and fully loaded and in those circumstances, my
owners manual calls for high test. My owners manuals both also forbid
any alcohol mix of any kind unless you need a little to get to real gas.

I also have a modified engine set up manually like a 1981 engine would
be with no computer controls and the minimum pollution controls.

It only happens with brands that have that super cleaner in them or too
much alcohol, other high octanes like Esso work great.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old July 11th 05, 03:55 AM
Hootowl

said:
> >Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys,rec.autos.tech
> >Mike Romain proclaimed:

>[snip]
>
> >Since Bush Gas, I haven't been able to run Texaco, Chevron, or Shell
> >regular in a 95 4.0 without mild ping. Recently the local Valero
> >station ran out of midgrade, and it seems that their regular will
> >actually run without ping.

>I recently noticed the nearby (40 miles away) Diamond Shamrock (soon
>to be called Valero) pumps have sprouted gasohol stickers. Small-town
>station, no known additive strictures. Seems to run OK, unlike
>Albuquerque wintertime-mandated gasohol, which noticably slows my
>Honda Civic.
>
>Comment?

I remember gasohol from back in the '70's/early 80's. Smoothest
burning stuff since Esso Extra and Gulf NO-Nox! No loss of mileage in
my '65 IHC Scout, and never any water in the gas, either. It kept the
fuel system squeaky clean, too, and gave a decent octane boost.
(Change the fuel filter after the second tankful due to all the trash
it removes.) It was a mixture of gasoline and 10% anhydrous ethyl
alcohol (ethanol). The oil companies hated it, and launched a
short-lived misinformation campaign against it. But drivers loved it.

I must say that the gasoline sold then was different-the stuff we buy
now doesn't even smell remotely the same. I often wonder just how
much real gasoline is in a gallon of fuel now. Real gasoline is
primarily a mixture of n-heptane, octane, and nonane. BTW, all the
racing alcohol I've seen (and, admittedly, that isn't much) is
methanol, which is hard on rubber fuel line components but is about
the highest octane fuel around. It is often mixed with other fuels,
and those mixtures require a lot of modification to the fuel system.

Dan

Old July 11th 05, 09:19 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You're a farmer, and grow corn, barley or wheat?
Yup, alcohol is the additive we added to a gasoline to absorb
condensation.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 11th 05, 11:55 PM
Blue

After any jeep repair be sure to screw all parts back together with wing
bolts. (G)

Old July 12th 05, 07:49 AM
Hootowl

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 01:19:36 -0700, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III
> wrote:

> You're a farmer, and grow corn, barley or wheat?
> Yup, alcohol is the additive we added to a gasoline to absorb
>condensation.
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

The closest I ever came to being a farmer was working on a catfish
farm one summer while in college. Unless you count a small beekeeping
hobby a number of years back! Sweetest tasting hobby I ever had!

Dan

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 12th 05, 09:03 AM
BillyRay

The ethyl alcohol limit in gasoline is 10%, you can only use 5% methyl
(wood) alcohol.

Methanol is cheaper and also is exempt from Revenue Tax because it is not
drinkable.... well.... you shouldn't drink it as it is poisonous and will
blind you...

Methanol is also harder on the plastic and rubber components of your car but
I am assuming that the makeup of the parts now is impervious to alcohols.

Old July 13th 05, 01:49 AM
Hootowl

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 04:03:44 -0400, "BillyRay"
> wrote:

>The ethyl alcohol limit in gasoline is 10%, you can only use 5% methyl
>(wood) alcohol.
>
>Methanol is cheaper and also is exempt from Revenue Tax because it is not
>drinkable.... well.... you shouldn't drink it as it is poisonous and will
>blind you...

By destroying your optic nerves. And just slightly more will paralyze
you, and a slight bit more than that will kill you outright. It's
vapors are also poisonous. It is also used as a paint stripper.

So far as I know, there was no alcoholic beverage tax on ethanol
produced for use as a fuel back in the gasohol days. I do know that
producers had to detail their procedures to keep people from drinking
it in order to get a permit to make it.

Dan

Old July 13th 05, 01:56 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

So you don't have revenuers checking your stills?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Hootowl wrote:

> By destroying your optic nerves. And just slightly more will paralyze
> you, and a slight bit more than that will kill you outright. It's
> vapors are also poisonous. It is also used as a paint stripper.
>
> So far as I know, there was no alcoholic beverage tax on ethanol
> produced for use as a fuel back in the gasohol days. I do know that
> producers had to detail their procedures to keep people from drinking
> it in order to get a permit to make it.
>
> Dan

Got to love that HEMI. Here is some info on it. In our Dodge and Jeep Scott S. Dodge 0 March 31st 05 10:36 AM
What is a TJ? Brian Foster Jeep 23 January 22nd 05 07:06 AM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 03:22 PM
Additional repairs when changing timing belt-- advisable? jbourgeois Honda 3 October 29th 04 07:07 PM