156 problems filling up the petrol?

Old July 7th 04, 09:33 AM
D & J Merrylees

Hi all,

I have a 1990 Alfa 164, 1996 Alfa 145, and 1996 Fiat Coupe Turbo. The only
car that doesn't have too many problems with fuel delivery is the older Alfa
164.

We've also owned a few Alfasuds and another 145. They all suffered from the
same cut-off problem. It may well be that the faster modern pumps deliver
fuel far too quickly for the plumbing to manage!

I live in New Zealand, where fuel is NZ$1.17 (41p) per litre of 96, and the
pumps do seem to delivery fuel faster with each upgrade of the bowsers.

http://www.petrolpricewatch.co.nz

Cheers,
Don.

om...

Old July 9th 04, 11:15 AM
Joe Ortiz

> for petrol in the UK, we don't get no choice. Locking nozzles are
> banned. You have to stand there with trigger held in for "Safety"
> reasons.
>
> I think it is because it stops fuel getting spilled if the vac/pressure
> autocuttoff fails (I had that actually happen at a pump once, and ended
> up with a petrol soaked shoe).

The solution to the lack of locking nozzles is to jam the filler cap
inside the handle. The 156 cap works a treat.

Fuel station operatives tend not to like you doing it for the reasons
you mention (possible spillage) so I tend not to wander too far. Most
petrol stations have such slow pumps that it does save you having to
hold the handle for ages. Best regards

Joe
156 2.0l TS
Old July 9th 04, 03:18 PM
has.mac

"Joe Ortiz" > wrote in message
om...

> > for petrol in the UK, we don't get no choice. Locking nozzles are
> > banned. You have to stand there with trigger held in for "Safety"
> > reasons.
> >

> The solution to the lack of locking nozzles is to jam the filler cap
> inside the handle. The 156 cap works a treat.

Also helps prevent static discharge. You walk away rubbing the fabric of
your clothes, sit in car, rubbing against velour seats, build up static
charge, return to nozzle only to static discharge against nozzle and ignite
petrol vapour coming from filler.

This happens alot in countries where you can lock the nozzle.

In UK you stay grounded by having to permanently hold the pump from
beginning to end.

has.mac

Old July 12th 04, 06:25 PM
Pete

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:11:41 +0100, MeatballTurbo
>, wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> > for petrol in the UK, we don't get no choice. Locking nozzles are
>> > banned. You have to stand there with trigger held in for "Safety"
>> > reasons.
>> >
>> > I think it is because it stops fuel getting spilled if the vac/pressure
>> > autocuttoff fails (I had that actually happen at a pump once, and ended
>> > up with a petrol soaked shoe).

>> The solution to the lack of locking nozzles is to jam the filler cap
>> inside the handle. The 156 cap works a treat.
>>
>> Fuel station operatives tend not to like you doing it for the reasons
>> you mention (possible spillage) so I tend not to wander too far. Most
>> petrol stations have such slow pumps that it does save you having to
>> hold the handle for ages. Best regards
>>
>> Joe
>> 156 2.0l TS
>>

>Is the 156 cap a screw in plastic thread? I'm sure when I bought a
>Halfords locking cap for the Saab it shared a part number with a locking
>cap for one Alfa or another?

http://www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/pb87/pb87.htm
"The 164 is part of the "Type 4" project jointly developed by Fiat, Lancia,
Saab and Alfa Romeo for the design and construction of a medium-to-big
saloon frame. "

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
Old July 12th 04, 07:03 PM
Pete

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:56:49 GMT, Catman >,
wrote:

>> Damn, common snese.

>Unless you wear shoes, in which case you're not grounded at all......

Unless your my kids, & then you are Grounded for driving without 'em :-)

Pete

Old July 13th 04, 09:38 PM
NC

fmt wrote:

> Being a new owner of a 156 I'm starting to learn all the delights of
> owning and driving an Italian car, but one thing that's really bugging
> me at the moment is as regards putting petrol in the car.
> I've tried at 5 different fuel stations, but everytime the same thing
> happens.
> Nozzle goes in, fuel delivery starts, then automatically stops (safety
> device in the nozzle cuts in) after about 30p worth. This continues
> to happen throughout the whole delivery time.
> I've resorted to filling the car to the brim every time (£50 nearly)
> but it takes forever to fill up, I'm talking 5 minutes or
> so........surely this isn't right?
> I've tried releasing the pressure on the nozzle, ands whilst this
> works it just means the petrol is delivered really slowly, I've angled
> the nozzle, I've even tried it upside down! Same problem always seems
> to exist.
> Has anyone else ever experienced this phenomenom and if so how do I
> cure it?
> Many thanks
> FMT

I am new to the world of alfa too and have had the same problem ! Cured
by withdrawing the nozzle a couple of inches. ie dont put it all the way
in, maybe only half-way.
Old July 13th 04, 09:54 PM
Pete

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:40:32 GMT, NC >, wrote:

>Surely he means grounded via the nozzle . handle, not the shoes.

and the nozzle would be connected to the pump by a hose made of ?

Pete

Old July 13th 04, 10:00 PM
Catman

Pete wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:40:32 GMT, NC >, wrote:
>
>>Surely he means grounded via the nozzle . handle, not the shoes.

> and the nozzle would be connected to the pump by a hose made of ?

Well, something conductive, obviously. Oh. Right. As you were

Actually, to be fair, it *could* be conductive, but the handle is (IME)
covered in plastic anyway......
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 13th 04, 10:06 PM
Pete

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:00:02 GMT, Catman >,
wrote:

>Pete wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:40:32 GMT, NC >, wrote:
>>
>>>Surely he means grounded via the nozzle . handle, not the shoes.

>> and the nozzle would be connected to the pump by a hose made of ?
>>

>Well, something conductive, obviously. Oh. Right. As you were
>
>Actually, to be fair, it *could* be conductive, but the handle is (IME)
>covered in plastic anyway......

I thought you might like that one <BWG>
G'night folks

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)

Nord ignition problems Gordon Alfa Romeo 18 June 18th 04 02:16 PM
Warranty Problems Stirling Alfa Romeo 7 June 10th 04 09:47 PM
petrol prices Tom Alfa Romeo 5 June 2nd 04 09:45 PM
156 - Strong petrol smell after filling up MG Alfa Romeo 0 May 11th 04 11:55 AM
Tyre problems ... Frank Lenaerts Alfa Romeo 2 April 26th 04 06:16 PM