98 Explorer Timing Chain/Tensioner/Cassette/4.0L

Old November 17th 04, 11:26 AM
Paul Scrutton

Default 98 Explorer Timing Chain/Tensioner/Cassette/4.0L

Rear cassette - like a bicycle? How about that.

I'd get the code and seek diagnosis from another place before going back to
that dealer. Engine codes are typically emission component related.

I thought the timing chain didn't generally need to be replaced until the
engine was rebuilt anyhow. Why did yours need to be replaced?

Paul

Old November 17th 04, 01:12 PM
Vic Klein

The only symptom is a check engine light? I would absolutely get another
opinion on this, and ask around about a reputable independent shop. I had a
Chrysler product that broke a rod in the V-6 about4 years ago and a local
independent was able to put an identical engine in for less than $400. IMHO,
even if you have to replace the engine (new? junkyard?), if that is the only
problem you have and are otherwise happy with the truck, it is worth it. My
'97 bought new now has over 185K miles and is trouble-free, but if something
happened today to the transmission or engine I would repair the truck as
much more economical than replacing it and it is otherwise totally
satisfactory.

=Vic=
Bear Gap, PA