Typical response from SUV driver

Old June 21st 05, 07:18 AM
Cartrivision1

You know and I know that most people bought SUV's when they were in
vogue because every other Suburban robot was buying one. Other
vehicles like you described might not be as fuel efficent as let's say
a Honda Civic, but those vehicles do not cause the same visual blight
on the scenery that large SUV's and pickup trucks do which is one of my
biggest gripes about the things.

And on top of that, most if not all do not certainly "need" a vehicle
which is bulkier/heavier than 2 "normal" sized sedans. Just because
people have the freedom to do something does not make it acceptable.
And yes, we ALL are suffering because of the extra fuel that these
lumbering behemoths use. In fact right after my last reply to this
thread I read a internet news article which blamed increased fuel use
for the rising prices. So we all lose.

Old June 21st 05, 07:38 AM
Cartrivision1

Like I said on my last post, one of my biggest issues with SUV's is
that they are so large as to cause visual blight on the landscape, and
I hate having to look at them drive by constantly when I am out trying
to enjoy the outdoors/nature. I know, wah, wah, wah.....but there
really is no justification for the average housewife or whatever
needing to drive those absurd things around.

Also, I have 2 vehicles myself but I only drive/insure one at a time.
My "summer" vehicle is a car I bought for $300 and it gets 38 mpg on
the freeway. It is not a micro car by any means, but has a very fuel
efficient engine with 2 spark plugs per cylinder. My other car gets
around 22 mpg I think and is a 4 cylinder, but with a turbo engine and
it is a bit bulkier. Neither one I would consider a gas hog by any
means.

Old June 21st 05, 11:04 AM
C.H.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:18:10 -0700, Cartrivision1 wrote:

> And on top of that, most if not all do not certainly "need" a vehicle
> which is bulkier/heavier than 2 "normal" sized sedans.

I often enough need a vehicle that size. Trailering necessitates a heavy
vehicle and I often enough need the full size of the truck bed to
transport things that don't fit into a normal station wagon.

It's funny how people like you think they can force their lifestyle onto
everyone else. Even funnier is that the same people scream bloody murder
if something they want to do is outlawed.

Chris
Old June 21st 05, 12:49 PM
Paul

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:47:54 -0700, Ashton Crusher , said the following
in rec.autos.driving...

> Is your house bigger then 400 sq ft? Do you use more then $50 worth
> of electricity a month? If so, shove you head up your ass as you are
> ALSO wasting natural resources just as surely as someone with an SUV
> that you happen to think they don't need.

So, you don't like it when people criticize you for your gargantuan suv,
but you have no problem criticizing others. **** off, hypocrite.
Old June 21st 05, 02:26 PM
Jim Yanik

"Cartrivision1" > wrote in
ups.com:

> You know and I know that most people bought SUV's when they were in
> vogue because every other Suburban robot was buying one. Other
> vehicles like you described might not be as fuel efficent as let's say
> a Honda Civic, but those vehicles do not cause the same visual blight
> on the scenery that large SUV's and pickup trucks do which is one of my
> biggest gripes about the things.
>
> And on top of that, most if not all do not certainly "need" a vehicle
> which is bulkier/heavier than 2 "normal" sized sedans. Just because
> people have the freedom to do something does not make it acceptable.
> And yes, we ALL are suffering because of the extra fuel that these
> lumbering behemoths use. In fact right after my last reply to this
> thread I read a internet news article which blamed increased fuel use
> for the rising prices. So we all lose.

You are not going to convince the "big auto" crowd that smaller vehicles
make more sense.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old June 21st 05, 02:29 PM
Jim Yanik

"Cory Dunkle" > wrote in
:

> As far as fossil fuel use... The majority of our fossil fuel use in
> this country is not for automobiles,

Except that "fossil fuel" also includes coal,natural gas,wood,that are NOT
used in automobiles.And only a part of a barrel of crude can be converted
into gasoline or diesel usable for autos.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old June 21st 05, 02:54 PM

Kids are pretty mobile, and often try *not* to be found.

I only have two myself, and don't want to imagine trying to track down
six.

Old June 21st 05, 03:21 PM
Roy Shroyer

"Cory Dunkle" > wrote in message

> As far as fossil fuel use... The majority of our fossil fuel use in this
> country is not for automobiles,

Cory,

You may want to read up on fossil fuel use in the US. Transportation is the
single largest user of crude oil in this country. Period. Roughly 40% of
the 20+ million barrels a day that we in this country consume every day. By
the way, that's roughly 25% of the world's total crude oil production. And
don't forget that the US makes up only 5% of the world's population.

http://earthtrends.wri.org/pdf_libra...ne_cou_840.pdf

As a country, we are extremely wasteful of energy. Not just in what we
choose to drive, but in what we eat, and how we live in general. How many
posters on this group could get by without a personal automobile for more
than a few days? Not many I would bet.

Our whole way of life is designed around cars.

SUVs have become a target for the un-informed because of their obviously
wasteful nature (ie seats usually vacant).

Once gas prices start creeping up past $4, lower to middle income people
will start to either curb their use of fuel, or dump the gas hogs for more
efficient vehicles, similar to what happened in the 70's and early 80's.

I've already traded my wife's gas guzzler for a 45mpg Jetta TDI, sold my
muscle car, and purchased a cheap commuter motorcycle.

I'm just trying to stay ahead of the curve right now so I won't be stuck
with an inefficient vehicle that I'm upside down on due to its declining
value in the face of high fuel prices. I've already changed my lifestyle to
be less reliant on automobiles and gasoline in general.

Should other people do the same as me? I hope that they do. But that's not
my concern really. This is a free country after all, and people are still
free to be complete dumb asses as we all know.

I'm not trying to save the world, just to save my own ass from a lot of
hardship and grief once the inevitable does happen (ie gas prices head for
the stratosphere).

If gas goes back to $1 a gallon then I just freed up more money for more
worthwhile pursuits than impressing my friends and neighbors with my huge
shiny gas guzzler.

My 2˘

..

Old June 21st 05, 05:11 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Roy Shroyer > wrote:

>As a country, we are extremely wasteful of energy. Not just in what we
>choose to drive, but in what we eat, and how we live in general. How many
>posters on this group could get by without a personal automobile for more
>than a few days? Not many I would bet.

That we USE a lot of energy is undeniable. That we waste it is quite
debatable, unless you're an ascetic who considers all luxury to be
waste.

I could "get by" without a personal automobile indefinitely. But
that's just what it would be, "getting by".

>Once gas prices start creeping up past $4, lower to middle income people
>will start to either curb their use of fuel, or dump the gas hogs for more
>efficient vehicles, similar to what happened in the 70's and early 80's.

You said that about $2.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old June 21st 05, 06:01 PM
Dan J.S.

"Roy Shroyer" > wrote in message

> "Cory Dunkle" > wrote in message
>

>> As far as fossil fuel use... The majority of our fossil fuel use in this
>> country is not for automobiles,

> Cory,
>
> You may want to read up on fossil fuel use in the US. Transportation is
> the single largest user of crude oil in this country. Period. Roughly
> 40% of the 20+ million barrels a day that we in this country consume every
> day. By the way, that's roughly 25% of the world's total crude oil
> production. And don't forget that the US makes up only 5% of the world's
> population.
>
> http://earthtrends.wri.org/pdf_libra...ne_cou_840.pdf
>
> As a country, we are extremely wasteful of energy. Not just in what we
> choose to drive, but in what we eat, and how we live in general. How many
> posters on this group could get by without a personal automobile for more
> than a few days? Not many I would bet.
>
> Our whole way of life is designed around cars.
>
> SUVs have become a target for the un-informed because of their obviously
> wasteful nature (ie seats usually vacant).
>
> Once gas prices start creeping up past $4, lower to middle income people
> will start to either curb their use of fuel, or dump the gas hogs for more
> efficient vehicles, similar to what happened in the 70's and early 80's.
>
> I've already traded my wife's gas guzzler for a 45mpg Jetta TDI, sold my
> muscle car, and purchased a cheap commuter motorcycle.
>
> I'm just trying to stay ahead of the curve right now so I won't be stuck
> with an inefficient vehicle that I'm upside down on due to its declining
> value in the face of high fuel prices. I've already changed my lifestyle
> to be less reliant on automobiles and gasoline in general.
>
> Should other people do the same as me? I hope that they do. But that's
> not my concern really. This is a free country after all, and people are
> still free to be complete dumb asses as we all know.
>
> I'm not trying to save the world, just to save my own ass from a lot of
> hardship and grief once the inevitable does happen (ie gas prices head for
> the stratosphere).
>
> If gas goes back to $1 a gallon then I just freed up more money for more
> worthwhile pursuits than impressing my friends and neighbors with my huge
> shiny gas guzzler.
>
> My 2˘
>
> .

Transportation yes, but this includes trains, planes, and trucks (18
wheelers). Actual personal automobiles is under 5%