'91 - electric 4Wd problems

Old January 1st 05, 08:04 PM
Mike

Default '91 - electric 4Wd problems

Hi,

Been having intermittant problems with getting it to shift into 4WD.
Am getting desperate because where I live I can't be without it.

Have had the problem off and on for a few yrs. but it always would
eventually go into 4WD. Got worse this year so I pulled apart the
electrical connector attached to the back of the transfer case.
There was some whitish/clear gunk in there (not dirt)...I figure it's
dielectric grease so left it alone.

I pushed the connector back together, and the next time I tried, it
went right in and out of 4WD (at least the dash light came on when it
was supposed to).

However, the next day it would not do anything when the dash button is
pushed - I don't even hear the clicks I used to hear when it was
trying to get into gear. I pulled the connector back apart but don't
see anything wrong.

Several years ago I fooled with a test or reset button in the back of
the vehicle (in the jack storage compartment) and that seemed to help.
I know a red light comes on when I push it but there seesm to be no
rhyme or reason to when or if the red light shuts off. It also did
not help with the shifting problem.

Any ideas? It now seems like it's an electrical problem. I checked
the 40A fuse in the power panel and it's OK. Can anybody tell me what
leads to test in the connector, or have any other tips? I'm afraid if
I take it to the dealer they will just slap a new servo into it, which
is probably pretty expensive.

Thanks.
Old January 6th 05, 11:58 PM
smokedawg17

No lights usually mean its a shift motor problem....

trying givng the shift motor a few light taps with a hammer...dont smash
it though

also give everything a good cleaning under there...and spray some wd-40
over the shift motor connections...if there is a bad connection its a
great conductor....

if you still can't get it to engage..you may need to take a look at the
shift motor..there is a plastic stop inside that gives the 4wd tons of
problems...

this thread explains everything in detail

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=123542

hope it helps

Old January 7th 05, 08:48 PM
Mike

Thanks,

I went to Serious Explorations and got all I needed. Turned out I
couldn't get the motor apart without usung easyouts on the special
torx, so I got a rebuilt one for $169 + core. Gonna put it on
tomorrow.

BTW, for anybody who has to do this, there is a great pin tool for the
electrical connector...it pushes them right out thru the back of the
casing, so no cutting or slodering necessary. Made by Lisle Company
and has tools for many different connector types. About ten bucks.

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:58:11 -0500, "smokedawg17"