Ford Radio Blank Display

Old February 24th 05, 12:28 AM
Watton

Default Ford Radio Blank Display

Yeah, I wasn't too good at the do it yourself soldering either. I guess I
should have left it to the pros. I went ahead and did the "Save My
Sanity" swap at www.shareamemory.com/radio and was able to fix my radio
without shipping it off and using only a philips screw driver to remove
three screws and a pair of needle nose pliers. They give you step by step
pictures and instructions detailing the swap. I'm happy and my wife thinks
I'm Superman (that won't last long).

Old February 24th 05, 12:42 PM
Happy Traveler

Hi Watton,

Loved your testimony! Just a Phillips screwdriver and a pair of pliers, and
voila, the wife thinks you are Superman! Why didn't I think about that?
Instead of saving my sanity at Mr. Sharememory, I stupidly resoldered all
those surface mounted resistors and capacitors. Removed the shield and did
the same on the front side of the power board too. Remounted the power
resistors away from the circuit board. Even replaced the overeheated
electrolytics while I was there. All carefully performed under a microscope,
with the finest, precisely temperature-controlled, Swiss-made soldering iron
that money can buy. My success barely lasted three months, and the board
overheated itself to death. Not even the best soldering technique would
revive it. I admitted defeat and blew $100 on a new one from Pioneer. The
radio works. But the the wife? She is just saying "I told you not to waste
any time fixing it yourself, idiot. You should have spent that time turning
the compost pile. That's where you belong". No Superman here.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old August 2nd 05, 10:14 PM
Watton

Yes, I wasn't up to tackling the soldering with "precisely
temperature-controlled, Swiss-made soldering iron" like your
adventure...but if it gives you an excuse to go buy one and add to your
tool empire, I'm all about that.

I just went with the Save My Sanity Swap program at
www.shareamemory.com/radio . Didn't require any soldering, just a
phillips screwdriver and a pair of needle pliers. Plus, I didn't have to
ship my radio off and go with silence in my car for 4-8 weeks waiting for
the radio to be returned. They also assured me that if this didn't work,
I could return it for a full refund. So, I figured it was worth a shot. I
randomly contacted a few of the people that has posting on the web site and
they swore by it. At the time it was only $85 (plus a deposit which I
promptly got back once I sent my old board back.

Been as happy as a married guy can be with a bright green glowing display
and being able to read the clock, radio station and CD tracks...happiness
comes in such small victories.