Shifter Bushing/Starter Information

Old January 11th 05, 10:48 PM
alyhirji

Default Shifter Bushing/Starter Information

I took my car in for an oil change today at a Honda dealership and I also
asked them to see what the loud noise was when I start the car. I was
advised that the Starter would need replacing...the noise is a grinding
type sound and goes away when the car is started. The second thing they
mentioned was the "Shifter Bushings". I have had minor problems shifting
and they said this could be the problem. My questions a Is it OK to
put a rebuilt starter in, or can I fix the one thats in the CAR. I dont
have cash set aside to do a major fix so im looking for a low cost
alternative. Also, how hard/easy is it to change the shifter bushings,
are there any diagrams to show me where they are or how to change them? I
checked the honda.co.uk site's shop manuals but couldnt find it....any help
would be appreciated! thanks AH

Old January 12th 05, 04:02 AM
Remco

You didn't mention what kind of Honda.
To replace a starter is not really difficult - you can easily do it
yourself if you have patience and a manual. It will save you a bundle
in compare to having a dealer do it for you.
I bought a starter on eBay ($30) a while ago for an integra and it
works just fine. Most rebuilt starters will be ok. Perhaps make sure
you have some sort of warrenty for 'infant mortality' problems (30 days
should be fine).

Not sure about the shifter bushings -- perhaps someone else here knows
about that.

Regards,
Remco

Old January 12th 05, 04:36 AM
alyhirji

Sorry, I didnt realize that...

Its a 1996 Civic SI (Canadian Vehicle)

Thanks

Old January 12th 05, 07:51 PM
alyhirji

thanks a bunch, it doesnt seem that difficult to do, i now have to ponder
whether to freeze and do it myself or get it done at a garage for $50 or
so and save me the frost bite!

Old January 12th 05, 10:06 PM
disallow

wow wouldn't it be nice to have a DIY garage near your place....

Hey, can replacing these bushings reduce the play in the
shift stick? My cars got 215kms on it, and the play is
starting to annoy me a bit. I got underneath last
summer and the polyurethan bushings at the trannie
linkage were, well, missing. I imagine that they just degraded
over time... I heard you can replace them with brass or
copper bushings, which make your gear shift feel like
new again??

Old March 21st 05, 02:43 AM
alyhirji

further to my last post on this topic, I bought the Bushing set from Honda
which cost me around $40 bucks... not too bad eh? Now the challenge of
installing it. does anyone know of a diagram or guide that can illustrate
what parts are where?? Now I assume the set is for the rear only (ie at
the shifter, not @ the tranny). Any help would be appreciated...

Old March 22nd 05, 04:38 AM
TeGGer®

"alyhirji" > wrote in
lkaboutautos.com:

> further to my last post on this topic, I bought the Bushing set from
> Honda which cost me around $40 bucks... not too bad eh? Now the
> challenge of installing it. does anyone know of a diagram or guide
> that can illustrate what parts are where?? Now I assume the set is
> for the rear only (ie at the shifter, not @ the tranny). Any help
> would be appreciated...

How's this?
http://tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/91-teg_shift-asm.jpg