Need: Pass. Door Handle 86 Cabby

Old September 26th 04, 03:01 AM
Mike Hellmund

Default Need: Pass. Door Handle 86 Cabby

Any one got one for sale? Will the door handles from the early Golfs fit?

Thanks,
Mike

Old September 26th 04, 02:18 PM
Ed

I believe the door handles were all the same from the first Rabbits(Golfs),
Jettas, Quantums, etc. through the 2nd gen. Just be careful of some of the
cheap replacements. I got one in which the lock cylinder didn't fit right,
and the key didn't return to the horizontal positon by itself. I ended up
using one from my old Rabbit.

Ed

Old September 26th 04, 05:36 PM
sehaare

From my experience the ones from early Golfs/Rabbits do NOT fit. There is a
clearance problem between the locking device (v-shaped thing) and the glass
and door lock. Basically since the top of the door does not have a channel
for the top of the glass (like the golfs/rabbits have) the design is
different. With some Golf/Rabbit handle the locking device sticks out too
far and the glass will hit it for others the locking V misses the lever in
the door for the lock. You can swap over the V from your old cabby handle
and on some aftermarket handles it will work but save yourself the time and
aggravation of trying to find out which ones and just pull a handle from an
old cabby in a junk yard (just two screws). Also you can check vwvortex.com
someone is always parting out a cabby there.

HTH
Steve

Old September 26th 04, 07:20 PM
Ed

I have interchanged handles from '81 Rabbit, '88 Jetta, and '88 Quantum.
These work fine. I can't speak beyond that, but when I went to order one,
the vendor said that all the Rabbits, Golfs, Jettas, and Quantums at least
through '88, or '92 for the Golfs/Jetas, were interchangeable.

Ed