Are You Ready For Diesel Yet?

Old July 15th 05, 11:49 PM

From the site listed:

>>The operation of the Turbine Car is much the same as that of a car with a piston engine and an automatic transmission. To start it, place the transmission shift lever in the "Idle" location and push down to engage the "Park/Start" position. Turn the ignition key to the right and release it. Starting is automatic. Within a few seconds, the inlet temperature and tachometer gauges on the instrument panel will read about 1700 F and 18, 000 rpm, respectively, indicating that the engine is started.

The present performance and economy of the Turbine are comparable to a
conventional car with a standard V-8 engine. The engine will operate
satisfactorily on diesel fuel, kerosene, unleaded gasoline, JP-4 (jet
fuel), and mixtures thereof. And, even more interesting, it is possible
to change from one of these fuels to another without any changes or
adjustments to the engine. The users of the cars also will appreciate
the many other advantages of the turbine engine.

The cars were built at Chrysler Corporation's Engineering Research
Laboratories in Detroit. At the assembly area, the Chrysler-designed
car bodies, which are built by Ghia of Italy, were lowered onto the new
engines and chassis components. The turbine engines were built and
tested at Chrysler's Research Laboratories.<<

Old July 16th 05, 12:06 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

But you'd use less since light truck diesels generally yet better fuel
mileage...

Old July 16th 05, 12:06 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

Walled Lake sucks.

oups.com...

Old July 16th 05, 12:09 AM
Neil Currey

Diesel here in New Zealand is $0:92 L which is cheap compared to paying
the $ 1:33 L for regular 91 . but for diesels you have to pay a roaduser tax
of $115 per 1000 km so it doesnt make any difference.

Neil in NZ
' 94 Cherokee

Old July 16th 05, 12:13 AM

I bet a lot of people fool with their odometers.

Old July 16th 05, 12:30 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That would mean they would have to run a log book. :-)
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 16th 05, 01:02 AM
DougW

calcerise did pass the time by typing:
> I bet a lot of people fool with their odometers.

speedometer gear.
After all it was stock before those 33's right, eh?

--
DougW

Old July 16th 05, 03:45 AM
Chip

what are you? A sales rep? I'm ready to switch my truck to burn used
cooking oil from Burger King.
Almost free fuel and the exhaust smells like french fries.

Chip

Old July 16th 05, 04:27 AM

SVO, or are you making it into biodiesel? There's a big difference, you
know.

Old July 16th 05, 07:06 AM
Paul Calman

> Diesel has been selling higher priced than regular for at least ten
> years here in San Diego:

But since i get 50 MPG in my Jetta, it doesn't matter. I ran it on 10
gallons of free (expired date) peanut oil last month. I would stil rather
have "Mr. Fusion"

--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California