Did I get taken?

Old June 21st 05, 09:34 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article <vvgeb11nrj923buu86b8div4oru8r21i74@usenet>,
says...

>My old 97 Chevy Cavalier lost power steering. I could barely turn the
>wheel. Not knowing any mechanics in my immediate area I took it to
>the Chevrolet dealer nearby. I know dealers are expensive, but this
>was quite a bit more than I expected. Best as I can explain it, not
>being a mechanic and knowing next to nothing about cars the power
>steering hose burst, the thing that it hooks into had some major
>damage, the part that was damaged is not removable, the entire
>gear/pinion/whatever had to be replaced. Bottom line, it had to be
>ordered from Jacksonville (I'm in south Florida), it cost almost $800,
>labor was $500 for 5 hours, with alignment and taxes etc it all came
>to $1,500. That's about 3 times what I thought it would cost. I
>didn't want to spend so much on an old car I don't plan to keep more
>than a year or two longer, but without this repair it was undriveable.
>I know small mechanics are cheaper, but would this repair have been
>that much cheaper? More than $100-200 cheaper?
>Also the dealer didn't offer a reconditioned part to make it come out
>cheaper, but the fact that they had to get the part all the way from
>Jacksonville means it must not be that easy to get, whether you're
>dealer or independent mechanic?

You should have told the dealer that if the cost of the repair was going to
be over a certain amount to call you first to get approval.
-------------
Alex

Old June 21st 05, 10:50 PM
Dave C.

> Your advice isn't worth much if the $2,000 car is your sole means of
> transportation.

That's exactly what I was thinking. When you get halfway through your job
and find that you are missing a part which has to be special-ordered from
halfway across the country, how do you get to work for the next week or
o? -Dave

Old June 21st 05, 10:52 PM
Dave C.

"Bob Ward" > wrote in message

> You are so stupid that you won't even admit how stupid you are.
>
> I'll bet you think you're real good at Russian Roulette, too.

Well, we know this guy has never pushed or pulled a car before. It's about
as dangerous as , ummmmm, driving. But I bet driving doesn't bother you
now, does it bob? -Dave

Old June 21st 05, 11:41 PM
Rod Speed

Dave C > wrote in message
eenews.net...

>> Your advice isn't worth much if the $2,000
>> car is your sole means of transportation.

> That's exactly what I was thinking. When you get halfway through your job
> and find that you are missing a part which has to be special-ordered from
> halfway across the country, how do you get to work for the next week or o?

Walk, hitch, get a bus or train, or a lift with someone you know, etc etc etc.

Old June 22nd 05, 12:06 AM
Bob Ward

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:52:13 -0400, "Dave C." > wrote:

>"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
.. .

>> You are so stupid that you won't even admit how stupid you are.
>>
>> I'll bet you think you're real good at Russian Roulette, too.
>>

>Well, we know this guy has never pushed or pulled a car before. It's about
>as dangerous as , ummmmm, driving. But I bet driving doesn't bother you
>now, does it bob? -Dave

Thanks for proving your own stupidity as well.

Old June 22nd 05, 12:42 AM
Tropicsprite

> how much does a RACK cost to change? they redid the alignment, which
> wouldnt be touched if it was just a pump.

When the one on my old Escort finally blew (and I mean BLEW, as in fluid
EVERYWHERE), it cost me $450.

Old June 22nd 05, 12:46 AM
Tropicsprite

ATTENTION TROLL:

Your rations have hereby been suspended.

Old June 22nd 05, 12:48 AM
Tropicsprite

I now long for my 85 Buick Lesabre, so I can plow you over with it.

Old June 22nd 05, 01:30 AM
Scott Nuzum

C. Massey wrote:
> "marc" > wrote in message
>
>>My old 97 Chevy Cavalier lost power steering. I could barely turn the
>>wheel. Not knowing any mechanics in my immediate area I took it to
>>the Chevrolet dealer nearby. I know dealers are expensive, but this
>>was quite a bit more than I expected. Best as I can explain it, not
>>being a mechanic and knowing next to nothing about cars the power
>>steering hose burst, the thing that it hooks into had some major
>>damage, the part that was damaged is not removable, the entire
>>gear/pinion/whatever had to be replaced. Bottom line, it had to be
>>ordered from Jacksonville (I'm in south Florida), it cost almost $800,
>>labor was $500 for 5 hours, with alignment and taxes etc it all came
>>to $1,500. That's about 3 times what I thought it would cost. I
>>didn't want to spend so much on an old car I don't plan to keep more
>>than a year or two longer, but without this repair it was undriveable.
>>I know small mechanics are cheaper, but would this repair have been
>>that much cheaper? More than $100-200 cheaper?
>>
>>Also the dealer didn't offer a reconditioned part to make it come out
>>cheaper, but the fact that they had to get the part all the way from
>>Jacksonville means it must not be that easy to get, whether you're
>>dealer or independent mechanic?

> In my opinion, you were taken advantage of. I would *think* that this
> shouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred dollars at an independent
> mechanic...
>
> http://www.autozone.com lists a power steering pump for a 97 Cavalier for
> $49.99 with a $10 core charge. A mechanic will get that part for about 15%
> less than that, then he will add about 50-75% of the cost back on to it.
> Then add, oh, maybe $50 an hour labor. I would guess 3 or 4 hours.
>
> I would definitely find a mechanic...

NEVER, NEVER take your car to the dealer unless NO ONE ELSE can perform
the repair. Basically, the dealer charges at least three times as much
as an independent mechanic ('round these parts, anyways).

Heck, one of the quick lube places here started doing minor repair work
and they were able to fix my water pump for $205 (tax included). I feel
that would have cost at LEAST $600 at the dealer.

The previous two repairs were ones only the dealer could perform (or at
least the indy mechanic I go to said he couldn't perform them because he
didn't have the necessary tools; one was for drilling into a broken bolt
to get it out of the hole). In neither case was the car in the actual
repair area for more than 2 hours. But the car was in the shop for two
days. Six-hundred bucks for each repair because of the ridiculous rate
for labor. I had to rent a car for the second situation, which cost me
another $160.

S.E.N.
When all else fails, get a cousin who took a lot of auto shop and offer
him a case of beer.

Old June 22nd 05, 01:32 AM
Scott Nuzum