What is the best manual transmission oil to use?

Old September 21st 04, 09:34 PM
AlanH70

Default What is the best manual transmission oil to use?

What is the best transmission oil to use or does it make a difference. I am
talking about New England weather cold in the winter warm in the summer, or
does it make a difference?
Old September 21st 04, 10:16 PM
Woodchuck

What VW recommends is synthetic and I think it's 75/90

Old September 21st 04, 10:55 PM
Joseph Meehan

AlanH70 wrote:
> What is the best transmission oil to use or does it make a difference. I
> am
> talking about New England weather cold in the winter warm in the summer,
> or
> does it make a difference?

Well I suggest what VW recommends for your transmission.

We don't know if it is manual or automatic, in a 1969 Beetle or a 2004
Jetta.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old September 22nd 04, 12:40 AM
Kent

Depends on the car and tranny. I can tell you that I've always used Redline
MTL in my 020. Fairly pricey, but I've never had any complaints.

--
Kent
1987 VOW GATE 8V, original owner, 220,000+ miles

Old September 22nd 04, 03:55 PM
Tony

"Kent" > wrote in message
> Depends on the car and tranny. I can tell you that I've always used

Redline
> MTL in my 020. Fairly pricey, but I've never had any complaints.

I second the motion. Have been using them for almost 20 years; this
synthetic oil is especially good in the winter, when the car is still cold.
I noticed it's good for the trans syncro. You will not find the oil in your
corner store but they have a web site and they're friendly on the phone.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp