New Gas Tank for 1978 Corvette?

Old August 18th 06, 11:02 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
BigGuy

Default New Gas Tank for 1978 Corvette?

The original gas tank that came with my 78 Vette lasted for twenty years.
In the last eight years, I have installed two used gas tanks purchased from
a salvage dealer. The stain on my garage floor and the smell in the air
tell me it is time once again for another tank. I have looked but cannot
find a source for a replacement.

Can someone please tell me where I might purchase a new not used gas tank
for my 78 Vette?

TIA!
Old August 19th 06, 05:00 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
WayneC

Maybe a 77 tank might fit? ... http://tinyurl.com/gn3fq
This vendor shows a 78 tank ("special order") ... http://tinyurl.com/e9ple
Old August 19th 06, 07:38 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
BigGuy

WayneC > wrote in news:iAGFg.1905$qI1.1505@trndny04:

> BigGuy wrote:
>> The original gas tank that came with my 78 Vette lasted for twenty
>> years. In the last eight years, I have installed two used gas tanks
>> purchased from a salvage dealer. The stain on my garage floor and the
>> smell in the air tell me it is time once again for another tank. I
>> have looked but cannot find a source for a replacement.
>>
>> Can someone please tell me where I might purchase a new not used gas
>> tank for my 78 Vette?
>>

>> TIA!

> Maybe a 77 tank might fit? ... http://tinyurl.com/gn3fq
> This vendor shows a 78 tank ("special order") ...
> http://tinyurl.com/e9ple

Thank you for the vendor info!
Old August 21st 06, 07:00 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Paul J. Veres

I had to replace one on my 1972. I got it at Auto Zone.

. 200.20...

Old August 21st 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
W. Moore

On my '75 the rubber fuel line that connects fuel return to steel line above
the tank had rotted and needed replacement. This caused gas to be pumped
all over the back of the car. I spotted drips on the cement. Didn't need a
new tank just replacement of these rubber connector lines. Had to drop the
tank to get to them though. Good luck.

et...

Old August 22nd 06, 02:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tom in Missouri

This is a good thought. The '75 and up tanks have a rubber bladder in them
originally. So even if the tank rusts through, the gas should not leak.
The usual problem with the bladder is it falls out of shape, so that you
begin to be able to put in less gas, like if you have a 24 gallon tank, you
begin to get no more than 23, then 21, or less.

Check the hoses, they are a common problem.

Old August 26th 06, 04:46 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Private

"Tom in Missouri" > wrote in message
. net...
> This is a good thought. The '75 and up tanks have a rubber bladder in
> them originally. So even if the tank rusts through, the gas should not
> leak. The usual problem with the bladder is it falls out of shape, so that
> you begin to be able to put in less gas, like if you have a 24 gallon
> tank, you begin to get no more than 23, then 21, or less.

Which raises the question of whether ethanol gas will attack the bladder in
a Vette. Many aircraft have a bladder liner in the fuel tanks and the
owners are quite careful not to use any fuel containing ethanol because of
problems with the ethanol attacking the bladders (and other parts).

YMMV