Crank position sensor - UK supplier please

Old June 4th 05, 08:47 PM
Diverman

Default Crank position sensor - UK supplier please

Hi Guys,

I'm having trouble starting my Jeep. Turns over but won't start.
I think I've narrowed it down to the crank position sensor, everything else
seems ok. From what I read they sometimes give up around now.
Where will I get one quick. I'm in Dublin, Ireland and the name of a good
supplier in the UK would be appreciated.

From previous experience with another brand 'R*nge R*v*r' it's better doing
business in the UK as the dealers here don't stock anything.
Of course this has happened now as it's due it's NCT(MOT) next week.

Thanks
Diverman
4.0l Cherokee '93
93k miles

Old June 4th 05, 08:54 PM
Dave Milne

Try

Lighthouse Jeep Parts (no website) 01953 681237
EDM www.edm-jeep.co.uk/ 01869 278942

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

"Diverman" > wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm having trouble starting my Jeep. Turns over but won't start.
> I think I've narrowed it down to the crank position sensor, everything

else
> seems ok. From what I read they sometimes give up around now.
> Where will I get one quick. I'm in Dublin, Ireland and the name of a good
> supplier in the UK would be appreciated.
>
> From previous experience with another brand 'R*nge R*v*r' it's better

doing

Old June 4th 05, 09:09 PM
Mike Romain

I recommend you try cleaning it's plug and socket with an electronic
contact cleaner. They are only computer signal pins and they get
dirty. WD40 will do as a cleaner in a pinch.

One other thing to check is the ground strap from the head to the
firewall, they also go bad at that age. I use a booster cable from the
battery negative tot he firewall to bypass it to test it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old June 4th 05, 09:58 PM
Diverman

Thanks for the quick replies.
The contacts are all clean and the straps look good. It's getting fuel and
the pumps working.
I'm getting fault code 11(no crank signal) and the sensor is giving
resistance which I think it shouldn't so this is what makes me think it's
the sensor.

--
Diverman

Old June 4th 05, 10:57 PM
DougW

Diverman did pass the time by typing:
> Thanks for the quick replies.
> The contacts are all clean and the straps look good. It's getting fuel and
> the pumps working.
> I'm getting fault code 11(no crank signal) and the sensor is giving
> resistance which I think it shouldn't so this is what makes me think it's
> the sensor.

Went through the same issues on my 93 ZJ.
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/cps/

You can't really see the faults with a slow sensor
unless you have a scope.

--
DougW

Old June 11th 05, 07:55 PM
Diverman

Yes, that was it, the cps.
All fixed now.
Thanks all for the advice and thanks to Lighthouse jeep who sent me the part
very quickly.

Diverman

Old June 11th 05, 08:01 PM
Dave Milne