'91 Explorer fuel trim

Old February 17th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default '91 Explorer fuel trim

Yet another post in the ongoing saga of my '91...

The truck gets lousy mileage (12 mixed instead of 16) and shows other
indications of running too rich. Codes are mostly EGO not switching, left
bank lean but occasionally left bank rich. I'm convinced that something,
somewhere is fooling the computer into thinking that it's running lean and
the computer is forcing it to run rich as a result. Computer, EGO sensors,
et cetera checked and / or replaced. The odd thing that the mechanic noticed
last time was that his scanner (or whatever you call the thing that talks to
the computer) showed that the "Fuel Trim" was at 0 and not moving. He said
that this should move up and down (positive and negative) in response to the
voltage from the EGO sensor, but for some reason was not.

What could cause the fuel trim to act this way? What can be done about it?

--
John D. Goulden

Old February 18th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

leaking upper/lower intake gasket ?

any coolant in oil or high oil consumption ??

Old February 25th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Did you replace the FPR(Fuel Pressure Regulator)? Computer told me
basically nothing but over at
the Explorer Forums they said replace the FPR and O2 Sensor and all
would probably be well. They were right except I cleaned the O2 sensor
instead of replacing it.

Old February 25th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

> Did you replace the FPR(Fuel Pressure Regulator)? Computer told me
> basically nothing but over at the Explorer Forums they said replace the
> FPR and O2 Sensor and all would probably be well. They were right
> except I cleaned the O2 sensor instead of replacing it.

Since my earlier symptoms were indeed consistent with a bad fuel pressure
regulator (at least according to Jeff Singleton's Ford Explorer Maintainence
pages, archived at http://www.explorerforum.com/Singleton/exp.html) I had
the shop check it when it was in time before last. They said the fuel
pressure looked OK, so the FPR wasn't replaced. If someone can convince me
that a bad FPR would cause the computer to show that the fuel trim wasn't
moving, I'll go ahead and have it replaced. Perhaps I ought to do it anyway,
but (a) as I said I'm not convinced that this could affect the fuel trim and
(b) I'm to the point where I'm throwing good money after bad at this
problem. Getting the mileage back up to 16 from 12 will saves me about $500
over the next year, but I've already spent nearly that already on this
problem, to no effect.

The really sad part is during the first few months after the rebuild last
summer I was getting the best mileage ever on that truck - close to 20 mpg
on some tanks. I really would like to know what happened to cause it to fall
like it did.

--
John D. Goulden

Ping:tigger Stephen H Honda 9 December 26th 05 06:28 AM
Ping Tigger: case study on rear O2 sensor and fuel trim Stephen H Honda 0 December 24th 05 05:37 AM
4200 miles in six days in a C6 - fuel use notes for Dad Vandervecken Corvette 9 December 7th 05 10:43 PM
'99 Explorer Fuel pressure problem Tim South Ford Explorer 2 December 20th 04 05:49 PM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 03:41 PM