Coolant leak advice needed...

Old December 10th 05, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Coolant leak advice needed...

Now that it's cold and miserable to work on my truck, it's decided to
start a slight coolant leak that appears to be coming from the block
heater port (a.k.a. freeze plug if no block heater).

It's just a modest drip and would probably not be an issue if left for
warmer weather except for the fact that I not park on concrete and the
coolant makes a slight puddle there. I'd ignore it except for the fact
that I don't want to poison the neighbor's cats (mine stays in the
house). I suppose I could park on the gravel so there wouldn't be a
puddle, but that's not under the carport.

So, assuming I tackle the stupid leak in the cold, what's the advice for
a relatively painless repair? The vehicle is a '97 Chev. K3500 pickup
with the 7.4l (a.k.a. 454) V8.

Thanks,

Pete C.
Old December 11th 05, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:40:20 GMT, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>Now that it's cold and miserable to work on my truck, it's decided to
>start a slight coolant leak that appears to be coming from the block
>heater port (a.k.a. freeze plug if no block heater).
>
>It's just a modest drip and would probably not be an issue if left for
>warmer weather except for the fact that I not park on concrete and the
>coolant makes a slight puddle there. I'd ignore it except for the fact
>that I don't want to poison the neighbor's cats (mine stays in the
>house). I suppose I could park on the gravel so there wouldn't be a
>puddle, but that's not under the carport.
>
>So, assuming I tackle the stupid leak in the cold, what's the advice for
>a relatively painless repair? The vehicle is a '97 Chev. K3500 pickup
>with the 7.4l (a.k.a. 454) V8.
>
>Thanks,
>
> Pete C.

My own idea only. TEFLON PIPE DOPE
also known as
Harvey's TFE Paste
Pipe Thread Compound:

=Partially= unscrew block heater, wipe threads, apply pipe dope,
tighten down, wipe up any extruded paste.

That's *a* fix and I would do it.

Estimated time for this? 15 minutes.

Lg

Old December 11th 05, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

You might be able to just put a screwdriver on it and tighten it up.
Most have a compressed rubber ring holding them in. If not, you likely
need a new one. They are not too expensive anyway.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242

Old December 11th 05, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Lawrence Glickman wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:40:20 GMT, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>
> >Now that it's cold and miserable to work on my truck, it's decided to
> >start a slight coolant leak that appears to be coming from the block
> >heater port (a.k.a. freeze plug if no block heater).
> >
> >It's just a modest drip and would probably not be an issue if left for
> >warmer weather except for the fact that I not park on concrete and the
> >coolant makes a slight puddle there. I'd ignore it except for the fact
> >that I don't want to poison the neighbor's cats (mine stays in the
> >house). I suppose I could park on the gravel so there wouldn't be a
> >puddle, but that's not under the carport.
> >
> >So, assuming I tackle the stupid leak in the cold, what's the advice for
> >a relatively painless repair? The vehicle is a '97 Chev. K3500 pickup
> >with the 7.4l (a.k.a. 454) V8.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> > Pete C.

> My own idea only. TEFLON PIPE DOPE
> also known as
> Harvey's TFE Paste
> Pipe Thread Compound:
>
> =Partially= unscrew block heater, wipe threads, apply pipe dope,
> tighten down, wipe up any extruded paste.
>
> That's *a* fix and I would do it.
>
> Estimated time for this? 15 minutes.
>
> Lg

It's not a screw in block heater. It's a kind of clamp-plate thingie
that replaces one of the freeze plugs (in the least convenient location
of course).

Pete C.
Old December 11th 05, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Mike Romain wrote:

> You might be able to just put a screwdriver on it and tighten it up.
> Most have a compressed rubber ring holding them in. If not, you likely
> need a new one. They are not too expensive anyway.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242
> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)

Would be nice if I can get away with just tightening it, at least until
warmer weather. The idea of having to drain the coolant and then wrestle
around on the creeper trying to reach the block heater while the
residual coolant is dripping on me and it's 40 degrees doesn't really
appeal to me.

Pete C.

Old December 11th 05, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Pete C." wrote:

> Mike Romain wrote:
> >
> > You might be able to just put a screwdriver on it and tighten it up.
> > Most have a compressed rubber ring holding them in. If not, you likely
> > need a new one. They are not too expensive anyway.
> >
> > Mike
> > 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> > 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
> > Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> > Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242
> > (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
> >

> Would be nice if I can get away with just tightening it, at least until
> warmer weather. The idea of having to drain the coolant and then wrestle
> around on the creeper trying to reach the block heater while the
> residual coolant is dripping on me and it's 40 degrees doesn't really
> appeal to me.
>
> Pete C.

Oh do I hear you, just wrecked a front driveshaft u-joint and it is all
ice out there....

Mike

Old December 11th 05, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> Lawrence Glickman wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:40:20 GMT, "Pete C." >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Now that it's cold and miserable to work on my truck, it's decided to
>> >start a slight coolant leak that appears to be coming from the block
>> >heater port (a.k.a. freeze plug if no block heater).
>> >
>> >It's just a modest drip and would probably not be an issue if left for
>> >warmer weather except for the fact that I not park on concrete and the
>> >coolant makes a slight puddle there. I'd ignore it except for the fact
>> >that I don't want to poison the neighbor's cats (mine stays in the
>> >house). I suppose I could park on the gravel so there wouldn't be a
>> >puddle, but that's not under the carport.
>> >
>> >So, assuming I tackle the stupid leak in the cold, what's the advice for
>> >a relatively painless repair? The vehicle is a '97 Chev. K3500 pickup
>> >with the 7.4l (a.k.a. 454) V8.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >
>> > Pete C.

>> My own idea only. TEFLON PIPE DOPE
>> also known as
>> Harvey's TFE Paste
>> Pipe Thread Compound:
>>
>> =Partially= unscrew block heater, wipe threads, apply pipe dope,
>> tighten down, wipe up any extruded paste.
>>
>> That's *a* fix and I would do it.
>>
>> Estimated time for this? 15 minutes.
>>
>> Lg

> It's not a screw in block heater. It's a kind of clamp-plate thingie
> that replaces one of the freeze plugs (in the least convenient location
> of course).
>
> Pete C.

There is only two places a frost plug heater generally will leak from, the
O-ring that seals it to the block or the seal on that screw that holds it in
place. Either way, just spend the $30 or so and buy a new one. Teflon paste
would be nothing but a waste of your time and it will probably only leak
worse once you've disturbed it.
Bob

Advice needed re. hood scratches Class 1 BMW 12 April 26th 05 07:00 PM
Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors 4x4 4 January 23rd 05 06:06 PM
advice needed on buying 95 325ic 5spd with 155K miles me BMW 1 December 27th 04 01:45 PM
147 Water Leak, Advice needed? Paul Woodsford Alfa Romeo 2 August 31st 04 02:15 PM
Electrical advice needed? Paul Woodsford Alfa Romeo 12 July 28th 04 10:19 PM