Coolant Leak, Maybe Cracked Manifold?

Old September 5th 05, 07:06 PM
trotzo

Default Coolant Leak, Maybe Cracked Manifold?

I have a '97 GT 4.6, 49,000 mi with an annoying coolant leak. Annoying
in the fact that I can't find it. There are no puddles, drips or signs
of any leaks but yet I hafta add coolant about once a week. I can smell
coolant with the engine running but don't see anything even remotely
wet. I did some research and have come up with the manifold cracking
probs others have had and I'm wondering what the symptoms are. The car
seems to run fine, no probs with perfomance at all. When the manifold
cracks, it it catastrophic engine failure or does your coolant just
slowly "dissapear"? I did notice some white smoke coming from the
tailpipes the other day and since we're still a few months from colder
weather I know it wasn't the ambient temps. Please help, car is still
under warranty (30 days) from the lot I bought it from.
Thanx in advance,
Trotzo

Old September 5th 05, 09:06 PM
PocoLoco

On 5 Sep 2005 11:06:52 -0700, "trotzo" > wrote:

>I have a '97 GT 4.6, 49,000 mi with an annoying coolant leak. Annoying
>in the fact that I can't find it. There are no puddles, drips or signs
>of any leaks but yet I hafta add coolant about once a week. I can smell
>coolant with the engine running but don't see anything even remotely
>wet. I did some research and have come up with the manifold cracking
>probs others have had and I'm wondering what the symptoms are. The car
>seems to run fine, no probs with perfomance at all. When the manifold
>cracks, it it catastrophic engine failure or does your coolant just
>slowly "dissapear"? I did notice some white smoke coming from the
>tailpipes the other day and since we're still a few months from colder
>weather I know it wasn't the ambient temps. Please help, car is still
>under warranty (30 days) from the lot I bought it from.
>Thanx in advance,
>Trotzo

I had an MGB with a cracked cylinder head gasket. Water was leaking into the
cyclinders and would come out the exhaust. When running, I could hold my hand
over the exhaust and my palm would come away wet, with water.

That's just for what it's worth.
--
John H

Old September 5th 05, 09:26 PM
trotzo

That's another thing that has me puzzled.....
Sometimes I can see something dripping from inside the drivers side
muffler, usually on first startup, even when it hasn't been raining.
It's not antifreeze (at least it isn't geen) and there's usually enough
to make a decent sized puddle.
WTF????

Old September 5th 05, 10:29 PM
Richard

"trotzo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> That's another thing that has me puzzled.....
> Sometimes I can see something dripping from inside the drivers side
> muffler, usually on first startup, even when it hasn't been raining.
> It's not antifreeze (at least it isn't geen) and there's usually enough
> to make a decent sized puddle.
> WTF????

Condensation?

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

Old September 5th 05, 10:59 PM
Kruse

trotzo wrote:
> I have a '97 GT 4.6, 49,000 mi with an annoying coolant leak. Annoying
> in the fact that I can't find it. Please help, car is still
> under warranty (30 days) from the lot I bought it from.
> Thanx in advance,
> Trotzo

<snippage>
Sounds like you have the infamous intake manifold leak. Some of these
cars were recalled because of it. Some of them were not. There are
replacements that are reinforced to fix this problem. They are
available from the dealer and the aftermarket. Both will fix this
problem, it's your choice, but you better get this fixed. Didja buy
your car from a used car place? Good luck getting this fixed under any
"used car place" warranty. Dorman is one of the aftermarket
manufacturers.
Also, the puddle from the muffler area is common condensation. Most all
Ford cars have it and it's nothing to worry about.

Old September 6th 05, 12:44 AM
trotzo

I know.....
The day I got the car they swore the brakes were done, and didn't they
start grinding a week later? Rear rotors were shot as well. Made them
change the brakes, rotors, and coolant (had the "rumble strip"
shudder).
Boy, are they gonna be happy when I call 'em tomorrow and tell 'em I
need a new intake manifold =)
I already had them look into it for the coolant leak, the mechanic (or
moron, u pick it) told me "should be fine, I tightened the clamps for
ya"

Old September 6th 05, 02:16 AM
Brent P

In article . com>, trotzo wrote:
> I have a '97 GT 4.6, 49,000 mi with an annoying coolant leak. Annoying
> in the fact that I can't find it. There are no puddles, drips or signs
> of any leaks but yet I hafta add coolant about once a week. I can smell
> coolant with the engine running but don't see anything even remotely
> wet. I did some research and have come up with the manifold cracking
> probs others have had and I'm wondering what the symptoms are. The car
> seems to run fine, no probs with perfomance at all. When the manifold
> cracks, it it catastrophic engine failure or does your coolant just
> slowly "dissapear"? I did notice some white smoke coming from the
> tailpipes the other day and since we're still a few months from colder
> weather I know it wasn't the ambient temps. Please help, car is still
> under warranty (30 days) from the lot I bought it from.

Before my '97 had the intake manifold water passage go, and it did fail
in a castrophic manner there wasnt enough coolant loss to be concerned
about. Just what one would expect over long periods of time.

Look in the valley between the cylinders and at the manifold underneath
behind the alternator.