2004 Vette Questions

Old November 1st 04, 02:25 AM
KeithSegraves

Default 2004 Vette Questions

I've had my 2004 vette for a couple of months now. The owner's manual says not
to change the oil until the Oil Life System tells me to or at least once per
year. I'm at 5,000 miles and it shows 70% oil life remaining. I'm used to
having my oil changed every 3000-4000 miles. Should I follow the manual
directions? If not, how often should I have the oil/filter changed?

A friend of mine has an independant auto service garage. When he heard I had a
new Vette he told me some pretty bad things about Dex Cool. Should I consider
flushing the system and replacing it with standard coolant?

Thanks!
Old November 2nd 04, 11:35 PM
Bob I

Oil, 12 months or at the cars's request. DexCool, what is it 5 years
50,000 miles? Of course if you dump "green" coolant in on top of it you
will hear bad things!!!!! You will SAY bad things if you mix the two
coolant types and need to pay to rectify the situation. Owners manuals
are written for a reason besides occuping a space in the glove box. And
the reason is that 99.99999% of us aren't automotive engineers.

Old November 2nd 04, 11:35 PM
Bob I

Old November 3rd 04, 07:02 AM
LIW

I'm going to have my oil changed at 3,000 miles the first time, in case of
loose metal shavings and the like. After that, thanks to Mobil I, I'll go
with the on board computer.

I read some bad things about the orange colored coolant, but I don't know if
that was Dex Cool.

Old November 3rd 04, 07:02 AM
LIW

Old November 3rd 04, 02:25 PM
Scubabix

Anyone got any thoughts about the new Prestone coolant? It's supposed to be
ok for all uses. If it's any good, it'd make it easier around my house with
5 different vehicles and only needing one coolant.

Rob