'92 miata hesitate and shuddering...occasionally

Old May 23rd 05, 04:16 PM
spyee68

Default '92 miata hesitate and shuddering...occasionally

I have a '92 Miata that was purchased a few months ago and recently noticed
that it was hesitating and misfiring. I had the spark plugs changed as
well as the fuel filter.

It is still shuddering, but there are times when the engine is calm and
averything is running smoothly. Whenever, I think the car has worked
whatever it is out, it starts to shake again and run rough. Any ideas?

Also, just the other day I started hearing water sloshing around but can't
find the water anywhere. Does anyone have any information???

Thx...

Old May 23rd 05, 04:27 PM
pws

spyee68 wrote:
> I have a '92 Miata that was purchased a few months ago and recently noticed
> that it was hesitating and misfiring. I had the spark plugs changed as
> well as the fuel filter.
>
> It is still shuddering, but there are times when the engine is calm and
> averything is running smoothly. Whenever, I think the car has worked
> whatever it is out, it starts to shake again and run rough. Any ideas?

Did you replace the spark plug wires?

> Also, just the other day I started hearing water sloshing around but can't
> find the water anywhere. Does anyone have any information???
>
> Thx...

This is common on older miatas, and easy to fix. Here is a description
of the problem and how to solve it.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/s034_94.html

Pat
Old May 23rd 05, 04:53 PM
spyee68

Thank you so much for the information on the water sloshing!

As far as the wires, I'll have to admit that I don't know, but I don't
think they were changed. I'll look into it tonight. Thanks again!

Old May 23rd 05, 05:09 PM
pws

spyee68 wrote:
> Thank you so much for the information on the water sloshing!
>
> As far as the wires, I'll have to admit that I don't know, but I don't
> think they were changed. I'll look into it tonight. Thanks again!

No problem. If the wires have not been changed, there is about a
99.99999999999999% chance that this is your car's problem with the
shuddering. A new set of NGK blue wires should be about $35.00 from your
dealer. You can also order them from Trussville Mazda or Mazda South.

BTW, if you want to end the water noise now without doing the full job
of enlarging the holes right now, a quick poke with an icepick in the
clogged drain holes will let the water out. This is probably a good idea
anyway since you will want the metal to be dry if and when you enlarge
the holes and re-paint the bare metal that is left from drilling.

Good luck,

pat
Old May 31st 05, 07:15 PM
spyee68

Hi there, just wanted to let you know that the car runs very nicely now.
Thanks!!!