Do I need to check backlash after replacing the diff bearing?

Old May 18th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Do I need to check backlash after replacing the diff bearing?

I have an annoying noise from the rear axle of my '97 Camaro, which I
suspect is one of my differential bearings that needs replacement. At
the same time I'll get new thrust washers for my side gears, which will
hopefully get rid of the annoying play in the drive axles. Anyway, after
replacing these do I have to check the backlash and all that stuff? I
assume it's not necessary, but I want to be sure.

Thanks,
Ulf
Old May 18th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article >,
" > wrote:

> I have an annoying noise from the rear axle of my '97 Camaro, which I
> suspect is one of my differential bearings that needs replacement. At
> the same time I'll get new thrust washers for my side gears, which will
> hopefully get rid of the annoying play in the drive axles. Anyway, after
> replacing these do I have to check the backlash and all that stuff? I
> assume it's not necessary, but I want to be sure.
>
> Thanks,
> Ulf

Backlash and side bearing preload.

The factory shims that are in there now are cast iron, they'll
break if you try to reinstall them. Service shims are steel and
you'll need an assortment to choose from.
Old May 18th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

aarcuda69062 > wrote in article

> The factory shims that are in there now are cast iron, they'll
> break if you try to reinstall them.

......only if you try to install them with a hammer and without using the
correct housing spreader.

If you spread the center section correctly, they will drop right
in......just like at the factory.

Old May 18th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
maxwedge[_31_]

Seconded, AAR!

--
maxwedge
maxwedge's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...p?userid=19971

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old May 18th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

* wrote:
> aarcuda69062 > wrote in article
>
>> The factory shims that are in there now are cast iron, they'll
>> break if you try to reinstall them.
>>

> .....only if you try to install them with a hammer and without using the
> correct housing spreader.
>
> If you spread the center section correctly, they will drop right
> in......just like at the factory.

Nice to know, but unfortunately I don't have a "housing spreader", is
that thing really necessary?

Ulf
Old May 19th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article <01c79950$38a1a6e0$b894c3d8@race>,
"*" > wrote:

> aarcuda69062 > wrote in article
>

> > The factory shims that are in there now are cast iron, they'll
> > break if you try to reinstall them.
> >

> .....only if you try to install them with a hammer and without using the
> correct housing spreader.

Given the original posters question, did you think he would have
one to use?

> If you spread the center section correctly, they will drop right
> in......just like at the factory.

AFAIK, and I may be way wrong, the spreader isn't even part of
current GM service procedure for the passenger car axles.
I'd gladly defer to Ian since he does this every day in that
particular setting...
Old May 19th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"aarcuda69062" > wrote in message news:nonelson-
> AFAIK, and I may be way wrong, the spreader isn't even part of
> current GM service procedure for the passenger car axles.
> I'd gladly defer to Ian since he does this every day in that
> particular setting...

Ian is an excellent source....Setting up rearends was something I always
managed
to dodge... it isnt rocket science, but I have great respect for the need to
do it
correctly. And I never had the tools to do it correctly, so -for the very
few instances
we had to deal with differential service - we sent them out.

Old May 19th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

aarcuda69062 > wrote in article
> In article <01c79950$38a1a6e0$b894c3d8@race>,
> "*" > wrote:
>
> > aarcuda69062 > wrote in article
> >

> > > The factory shims that are in there now are cast iron, they'll
> > > break if you try to reinstall them.
> > >

> > .....only if you try to install them with a hammer and without using

the
> > correct housing spreader.

> Given the original posters question, did you think he would have
> one to use?

It's highly unlikely, but that doesn't change anything.

If he tries to hammer the shims in without spreading the housing, he will
likely break them.

Also, if he doesn't have the tool, he might not be able to do the
job........correctly, that is.

I wouldn't expect him to be able to accurately bore an engine with a
glaze-breaker, either.

> > If you spread the center section correctly, they will drop right
> > in......just like at the factory.

> AFAIK, and I may be way wrong,

You are.....

>the spreader isn't even part of
> current GM service procedure for the passenger car axles.
> I'd gladly defer to Ian since he does this every day in that
> particular setting...

Just have to read ANY GM, RWD service manual...........The housings STILL
have the holes for the spreader, and while some may ignore the correct
procedure, they are STILL used when assembling a rear axle correctly.

I can't speak for the FWD transaxle differentials since I only work on RWD
stuff.

Old May 19th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article <01c79a12$794062a0$e194c3d8@race>,
"*" > wrote:

> > Given the original posters question, did you think he would have
> > one to use?
> >

> It's highly unlikely, but that doesn't change anything.

It does if there are acceptable alternative methods.

> If he tries to hammer the shims in without spreading the housing, he will
> likely break them.

I already stated that.

> Also, if he doesn't have the tool, he might not be able to do the
> job........correctly, that is.

It can be done correctly if he uses the steel service shims that
are available from GM and/or any number of aftermarket vendors.

> I wouldn't expect him to be able to accurately bore an engine with a
> glaze-breaker, either.

I fail to see the similarity between a machining operation and an
assembly operation.

> > > If you spread the center section correctly, they will drop right
> > > in......just like at the factory.

> > AFAIK, and I may be way wrong,

> You are.....

Not necessarily.

> >the spreader isn't even part of
> > current GM service procedure for the passenger car axles.
> > I'd gladly defer to Ian since he does this every day in that
> > particular setting...
> >

> Just have to read ANY GM, RWD service manual...........The housings STILL
> have the holes for the spreader, and while some may ignore the correct
> procedure, they are STILL used when assembling a rear axle correctly.

That may be true regarding the original assemble at the factory,
but necessarily true at the dealership level and certainly not
true if one reads the instructions supplied with just about any
aftermarket gear set/differential assembly.
If one calls and queries Randy's Ring & Pinion, they will
actually tell you -not- to use a case spreader on any GM axle
including a 12 bolt.

> I can't speak for the FWD transaxle differentials since I only work on RWD
> stuff.

FWD is a whole different animal.