'05 slow throttle

Old September 29th 05, 08:04 PM
Richard Minami

Default '05 slow throttle

Just wondering if anyone else has the same experience. It seems like the
throttle response on our new Explorer is a little slow. My wife (the
primary driver) noticed after we first bought it that it behaves kind of
weird when you come up to a light and it turns green, so you press the
accelerator to go. You press, nothing happens, you press a little more,
then it jumps because you have the pedal down so far. I think she's gotten
used to it, but it just makes me wonder if there's something wrong. Are
these drive by wire, and I have a slow processor?!

Another time, my wife was on a hill, with my mother and our kids in the rig.
I was standing outside the car waving them off. She put it in reverse to
back up the hill, away from a parked car. It didn't go, so I assume she
pressed a little harder, it then kicked in, peeling out a little! Good
thing it's quiet, or I'm not sure what my mother would have thought!

Another example, with me driving, I was towing our tent trailer, the kids
were in the back (yelling "turbos Daddy, turbos!"). It was a windy road,
and I wanted to see what the new rig would do under some pressure. I
entered the turns slow enough, but then mashed down on the accelerator to
pull out of the turn. It just seemed to take so long for it to kick in. I
guess this could have also been due to the transmission having to find the
best gear. But after this event, I'm thinking that I could have pulled our
trailer faster through the curves with our old '94 Explorer. When you push
on the gas, it WENT. This one has more horses, but it's like it has to
think about it first. (of course, then the price of gas went through the
roof, and I don't do this anymore...)

Anyone else have a similar experience?

--

Richard Minami
'05 Explorer XLT Sport 4x4

Old September 30th 05, 04:54 AM
Jim Warman

The fly-by-wire throttles do have a disconcerting feeling until you get used
to them... The first few I drove, I really didn't like but I am now at the
point where I can't tell what's fly-by-wire and what's not. There were a
couple of reflashes for the 5.4 F150 to address some drivability concerns
attributed to this system. I don't work on enough Exs to know for sure but
you might check with your dealer....

How to handle it at the service desk.... explain your concern in simple
terms.... most service advisors would be better suited to waiting for the
"french fry bell"...During the explanation "mention" in a questioning manner
if there is a reprogram that might resolve your concern.

HTH...