Holley backfiring after cleaning - please help!

Old December 25th 04, 08:16 PM
Andrew

Default Holley backfiring after cleaning - please help!

Hi all,

I have a 350 SBC with a Holley 600. The motor is in a car that has been
stored for 12 years, and the previous owner had turned it over
regularly using 2 stroke gas. The car ran really rough and it was
suggested that I remove the front of the carb and clean the primary
jets etc. I did this, and removed as much of the old gasket as I could
and replaed with new. Now when I try to start the car, it won't,
backfiring badly. What have I done wrong, or where should I be looking?
I don't think the float level was touched, but it may have been knocked
during ceaning - would this cause it? I have a rebuild kit on order,
but it may be a few weeks away (I am in New Zealand), but have a gasket
set bought locally. Any thoughts?

Kind regards,

Andrew

Old December 25th 04, 11:12 PM
JazzMan

Andrew wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a 350 SBC with a Holley 600. The motor is in a car that has been
> stored for 12 years, and the previous owner had turned it over
> regularly using 2 stroke gas. The car ran really rough and it was
> suggested that I remove the front of the carb and clean the primary
> jets etc. I did this, and removed as much of the old gasket as I could
> and replaed with new. Now when I try to start the car, it won't,
> backfiring badly. What have I done wrong, or where should I be looking?
> I don't think the float level was touched, but it may have been knocked
> during ceaning - would this cause it? I have a rebuild kit on order,
> but it may be a few weeks away (I am in New Zealand), but have a gasket
> set bought locally. Any thoughts?

Well, I can tell you that Holley carbs of that era tend to
be very intolerant of backfires. There's a part of the
carb called a "power valve" which takes care of enrichment
after the accelerator pump shot is consumed. The rubber
diaphragm in that valve tends to be easily damaged by as
few as one or two backfires out the carb throat.

Best bet is to throw an overhaul kit into it.

JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!
Old December 26th 04, 12:42 AM
Anthony

"Andrew" > wrote in :

> Hi all,
>
> I have a 350 SBC with a Holley 600. The motor is in a car that has been
> stored for 12 years, and the previous owner had turned it over
> regularly using 2 stroke gas. The car ran really rough and it was
> suggested that I remove the front of the carb and clean the primary
> jets etc. I did this, and removed as much of the old gasket as I could
> and replaed with new. Now when I try to start the car, it won't,
> backfiring badly. What have I done wrong, or where should I be looking?
> I don't think the float level was touched, but it may have been knocked
> during ceaning - would this cause it? I have a rebuild kit on order,
> but it may be a few weeks away (I am in New Zealand), but have a gasket
> set bought locally. Any thoughts?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew

How did you clean the jets? If you poked anything through them besides a
shot of carb cleaner...they are most likely toast.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email
Old December 26th 04, 01:38 AM
Andrew

great meatballs, is to use very lean meat.

1 lb. ground flesh; human or pork
3 lb. ground beef
1 cup finely chopped onions
7 - 12 cloves garlic
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
˝ cup milk, 2 eggs
Oregano
basil
salt
pepper
Italian seasoning, etc.
Tomato gravy (see index)
Fresh or at least freshly cooked spaghetti or other pasta

Mix the ground meats together in a large bowl,
then mix each of the other ingredients.
Make balls about the size of a baby?s fist
(there should be one lying around for reference).
Bake at 400°for about 25 minutes -
or you could fry them in olive oil.
Place the meatballs in the tomato gravy, and simmer for several hours.
Serve on spaghetti.
Accompany with green salad, garlic bread and red wine.

Newborn Parmesan

This classic Sicilian cuisine can easily be turned into Eggplant Parmesan
If you are planning a vegetarian meal. Or you could just as well use veal -
after all, you have to be careful - Sicilians are touchy about their young
family members...

6 newborn or v

Old December 26th 04, 02:20 AM
Anthony

Brown the onions, peppers and celery.
Add the meat then season, continue browning.
De-glaze with sherry, add the reduced broth.
Finally, put in the root vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly.
Place the pie pan in 375 degree oven for a few minutes so bottom crust is not soggy,
reduce oven to 325.
Fill the pie with stew, place top crust and with a fork, seal the crusts together
then poke holes in top.
Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown.

Sudden Infant Death Soup

SIDS: delicious in winter, comparable to old fashioned Beef and Vegetable Soup.
Its free, you can sell the crib, baby clothes, toys, stroller... and so easy to
procure if such a lucky find is at hand (just pick him up from the crib and
he?s good to go)!

SIDS victim, cleaned
˝ cup cooking oil
Carrots
onions
broccoli
whole cabbage
fresh green beans
potato
turnip
celery
tomato
˝ stick butter
1 cup cooked pasta (macaroni, shells, etc.)

Rem

Old December 26th 04, 03:10 AM
JazzMan

white rice.

Pre-mie Pot Pie

When working with prematurely delivered newborns (or chicken) use sherry;
red wine with beef (buy steak or roast, do not pre-boil).

Pie crust (see index)
Whole fresh pre-mie; eviscerated, head, hands and feet removed
Onions, bell pepper, celery
˝ cup wine
Root vegetables of choice (turnips, carrots, potatoes, etc) cubed

Make a crust from scratch - or go shamefully to the frozen food section
of your favorite grocery and select 2 high quality pie crusts (you
will need one for the top also).
Boil the prepared delicacy until the meat starts to come off the bones.
Remove, de-bone and cube; continue to reduce the broth.

Old December 26th 04, 04:05 AM
SAMMMMM

look at the power jet, the one with a diaphraghm.
they go bad in time and especially after some backfires.
good luck, sam

Old December 26th 04, 04:31 AM
Andrew

Thanks all for the help (and the recipes...) I'll pull it apart and check
the power valve. The jets et al were cleaned solely with carb cleaner, and
the gasket removed as best as possible with carb cleaner and scraping with a
piece of plastic. The float level won't be causing the backfire? I am just a
bit worried about putting a new PV in and having the same thing happen...

Old December 26th 04, 04:38 AM
JazzMan

Andrew wrote:

> Thanks all for the help (and the recipes...) I'll pull it apart and check
> the power valve. The jets et al were cleaned solely with carb cleaner, and
> the gasket removed as best as possible with carb cleaner and scraping with a
> piece of plastic. The float level won't be causing the backfire? I am just a
> bit worried about putting a new PV in and having the same thing happen...

Backfires on carb'd cars can happen because the air in the intake
tract is "wet" with fuel. If the intake valve is leaking or
the spark plug fires while the intake is still open it ignites
the intake charge in the manifold and that in turn blows back
out the carb. One think that can cause the spark plug to
fire prematurely is if that plug wire is next to another
one and the spark pulse in one wire induces the adjacent
wire to generate spark voltage. That's why it's important
to route and separate the plug wires properly.

Old December 26th 04, 06:19 AM
SN

> > suggested that I remove the front of the carb and clean the primary
> > jets etc. I did this, and removed as much of the old gasket as I could
> > and replaed with new. Now when I try to start the car, it won't,
> > backfiring badly. What have I done wrong, or where should I be looking?

I rebuilt a Holley 4160 years ago and the new gaskets were "almost"
identical with the exception of one little hole that was missing in the
gasket between the body and the primary metering block. It caused symptoms
similar to yours. Is this possibly your problem?

Cleaning a Hard-Top... uber_franzATyahooDOTcom Jeep 1 December 23rd 04 04:35 PM
A6 2.5TDI Smoking + ultrasonically cleaning injectors AstraVanMan Audi 22 October 13th 04 08:06 PM
Holley Truck Avenger Ltine 4x4 0 August 22nd 04 08:32 PM
cleaning interior NC Alfa Romeo 0 July 17th 04 08:58 AM
engine cleaning additive Jack Izer Dodge 1 April 16th 04 09:25 PM