E46 Screeching noise on turning right

Old June 19th 06, 08:57 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default E46 Screeching noise on turning right

Hi,

I have a 2003 model 330ci convertible (in the UK) and I have noticed a high
pitched screeching sound when turning right at slow speeds. It only happens
if the car is moving, i.e. if I just turn the steering wheel to the right
whilst stationary, no noise occurs. At higher speeds, even a slight turn to
the right causes a metallic grinding sound (but this is only noticeable with
the window down) - There is no noise in a straight line or turning left.

What I would like to know is, does this sound potentially dangerous? Should
I stop driving the car immediately?

I shall be taking it to a BMW dealer shortly anyway - what is the likely
cause of this kind of thing? Is it likely to be expensive to fix?

Many thanks,
DW.

Old June 19th 06, 10:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

DW Manchester wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 2003 model 330ci convertible (in the UK) and I have noticed a high
> pitched screeching sound when turning right at slow speeds. It only happens
> if the car is moving, i.e. if I just turn the steering wheel to the right
> whilst stationary, no noise occurs. At higher speeds, even a slight turn to
> the right causes a metallic grinding sound (but this is only noticeable with
> the window down) - There is no noise in a straight line or turning left.
>
> What I would like to know is, does this sound potentially dangerous? Should
> I stop driving the car immediately?

An obvious error. You have inadvertently received one of the
limited-production NASCAR special editions. You car believes you are
about to crash into The Wall, and is expressing anguish.
These versions are supposed to only be sold in the Southeast U.S.
Point this out to your nearest BMW service location and they will gladly
replace your vehicle for a new one appropriate to the general public.
Old June 22nd 06, 04:40 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

>> I have a 2003 model 330ci convertible (in the UK) and I have noticed a high
>> pitched screeching sound when turning right at slow speeds. It only happens
>> if the car is moving,

You need a higher speed-rated girlfriend.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

01 GLX Carbio - popping sound while turning and backing after new rack, tie rods and ends cstoddard VW water cooled 2 November 5th 05 07:45 AM
front dr side wheel noise - screeching fades when turning masterbaker Honda 3 September 15th 05 12:04 PM
300m Noise when turning Steve Chrysler 1 March 21st 05 08:33 PM
Steering column grinding / squeaking noise when turning right Ed Jones VW air cooled 2 January 2nd 05 10:45 AM