More On Left Lane Driving

Old December 5th 04, 12:07 AM
223rem

Default More On Left Lane Driving

Dave Head wrote:

> If _I_ am in the left lane, you _will_ be able to get around because the
> right lane will be clear, most of the time.

Can you clarify the above statement please? I was trying to understand it,
but couldnt. How do you magically clear the right lane?
Old December 5th 04, 12:18 AM
Mike Z. Helm

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 17:05:38 GMT, Dave Head >

>OK, say I stay right and the typical duckling comes up and sits on my left rear
>at 62 mph. Now _he's_ an LLB that people _can't_ get around and I'm an
>_enabler_ for not accelerating or braking. IOW, I'm supposed to do something
>about _his_ bad driving? Don't think so...
>
>Then we both catch a slower car, I get slowed down to 58 mph or whatever, and
>you get 2 cars in the right lane plus the duckling doing the LLB thing. So, if
>I stay in the right lane, things just get worse for everybody.
>
>At least when I drive left, the duckling is scraped off periodically by the
>slower car in the right lane, and other people can pass me just fine... on the
>right.
>
>Fact is, there's gonna be an LLB one way or the other, most of the time. If I
>stay in the right lane, you won't be able to get around the LLB in the left
>lane. If _I_ am in the left lane, you _will_ be able to get around because the
>right lane will be clear, most of the time.

The only problem is you're just another duckling.

I saw a good example of your type yesterday as I approached a light.

All of a sudden, the left lane backs up, so I switch over to the right
lane which and pass at least 10 cars stuck in the left lane.

I look over at the left turn lane thinking a good number of those people
must have a good reason for being in that lane - like turning left.

Nope - only 1 person was turning left.

--
There's no way to delay that trouble comin' everyday
Old December 5th 04, 12:33 AM
TCS

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 19:40:34 GMT, 223rem > wrote:
>Dave Head wrote:

>> Fact is, there's gonna be a LLB, whether its me or him. The big difference for
>> you is that you can get around me by passing on the right,

>In a lot of cases you *cannot* get around an LLB on the right, because the moron
>in question moves at roughly the same speed or very slowly passing the line of
>vehicles in the right lane.

>If you're LLB on an empty highway I'll give a honk and pass you on
>the right, very carefully because you're likely clueless and
>capable of changing lanes without warning.

>Unfortunately, most LLBs infest congested highways.

and they're a major cause of the congestion. All the lanes end up operating
at the speed of the slowest cars on the road. Add idiots zigging in and out
of the lanes just to make it as dangerous as possible.
Old December 5th 04, 03:01 AM
Dave Head

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 23:07:46 GMT, 223rem > wrote:

>Dave Head wrote:
>
>> If _I_ am in the left lane, you _will_ be able to get around because the
>> right lane will be clear, most of the time.

>Can you clarify the above statement please? I was trying to understand it,
>but couldnt. How do you magically clear the right lane?

Simple.

1) At 7 mph over the limit, I am passing most everything else around here.
Nothing is keeping pace with me on the right. The right lane is mostly clear.

2) If there is someone that comes up and paces on my right rear, they are soon
"scraped off" when I catch yet another car going slower in the right lane, and
pass it. After that, of course there is nothing in the right lane.

Dave Head
Old December 5th 04, 03:07 AM
223rem

Dave Head wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 23:07:46 GMT, 223rem > wrote:
>

>>Dave Head wrote:
>>

>>> If _I_ am in the left lane, you _will_ be able to get around because the
>>>right lane will be clear, most of the time.

>>Can you clarify the above statement please? I was trying to understand it,
>>but couldnt. How do you magically clear the right lane?

> Simple.
>
> 1) At 7 mph over the limit, I am passing most everything else around here.

That's very hard to believe. Where is 'here'?
Old December 5th 04, 03:15 AM
Dave Head

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 19:40:34 GMT, 223rem > wrote:

>Dave Head wrote:
>
>> Fact is, there's gonna be a LLB, whether its me or him. The big difference for
>> you is that you can get around me by passing on the right,

>In a lot of cases you *cannot* get around an LLB on the right, because the moron
>in question moves at roughly the same speed or very slowly passing the line of
>vehicles in the right lane.

While that's true of a lot of people driving in the left lane, its not true
when I do it. I make a point to keep the right lane clear as much as possible.

>If you're LLB on an empty highway I'll give a honk and pass you on
>the right,

Hell, if you honk (a standard request to pass) I probably would change lanes to
let you by. I can stay in the left lane most places for hundreds of miles, and
no one will ever honk or flash light. If they would do that, I'd know they
were serious about passing and therefore have no fear that they would latch
onto my bumper and create a LLB situation.

very carefully because you're likely clueless and
>capable of changing lanes without warning.
>
>Unfortunately, most LLBs infest congested highways.

Rt 3 east of Fredericksburg, Va., that I drive a _lot_ is moderate.

Dave Head

Old December 5th 04, 03:18 AM
Arif Khokar

223rem wrote:

> Dave Head wrote:

>> 1) At 7 mph over the limit, I am passing most everything else around
>> here.

> That's very hard to believe. Where is 'here'?

Somewhere in Dave's fantasy world located in VA. Where I drive in VA,
most people are going anywhere from 5 to 15 mph over the limit (and on
occasion 20 over). Driving 7 mph over the limit in areas of VA I drive
would be the below the median speed of traffic.
Old December 5th 04, 03:32 AM
Dave Head

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:47:31 -0800, Garth Almgren > wrote:

>Around 12/4/2004 9:05 AM, Dave Head wrote:
>
>> OK, say I stay right and the typical duckling comes up and sits on my left rear
>> at 62 mph. Now _he's_ an LLB that people _can't_ get around and I'm an
>> _enabler_ for not accelerating or braking.

>I wouldn't call you an enabler, but accelerating or braking to dislodge
>them would be the nice thing to do.

I would call someone who didn't do something about a duckling an LLB enabler.

Now to explore the options.

First, acclerating is out of the question. Rt. 3 east of Fredericksburg, Va.
has, most of the time, 2 to 3 police vehicles, a combination of sheriff's cars
from 2 counties plus the state police. I'm driving 7 over because they ignore
it. I'm not accelerating to the 15 or so over that is required to exercise the
maneuver of getting in front of the duckling.

The other option is hitting the brakes. Most of the ducklings will brake too.
If they don't, then I end up _behind_ them going 1 - 3 mph less, because
they'll drop back to the speed of the next car they catch in the right lane,
just like they did to me.

>> IOW, I'm supposed to do something
>> about _his_ bad driving? Don't think so...

>You're under no obligation to do something about their bad driving, but
>again it would be the nice thing to do. "Do unto others" and all that.
>

>> Then we both catch a slower car, I get slowed down to 58 mph or whatever, and
>> you get 2 cars in the right lane plus the duckling doing the LLB thing.

>What, out of the blue? How come you didn't see this slower car before
>you got stuck behind it? You should have seen the slower traffic, speed
>up,

No speeding up! 7 over is about the most I'm going to go on SR 3. Cops all
over the place...

>and gotten in front of the LLB before getting stuck.

And this maneuver could be construed as aggressive driving. THere's a hot
button for that with most cops here.

>> So, if I stay in the right lane, things just get worse for everybody.

>So, don't stay. Speed up, pass on the left, and return to your chosen
>cruising speed in the right lane once you've passed slower traffic.

Then I end up going back and forth, back and forth, from right to left to
right. THAT ALSO attracts the attention of the cops, who will attempt to
figure out some kinda charge for it. Speeding is usually easy, and I _am_ 7
over. But if I'm 7 over in the left lane, I'm just like half the other cars
around here. You have to remember I'm not alone around here. There's lotsa
people driving the left lane. When I find a slower one, I pass 'em on the
right. If a faster one finds me, they pass me on the right. Mostly. Every
now and then there's a hardhead that will just tailgate (but never use the horn
or flash the lights). I just let 'em.

>Ever wonder why you are one of the only "regulars" here that seems to be
>having trouble with putting this concept into practice?

I suspect I'm just one of the only regulars that will point out how pointless
and counterproductive it is to attempt to do it the way a lot of people are
suggesting.

>> At least when I drive left, the duckling is scraped off periodically by the
>> slower car in the right lane, and other people can pass me just fine... on the
>> right.

>If there is room for you to be passed on the right, you should be in the
>right lane. End of story.

Nice mantra, but in practice, it really sucks for everybody. You get huge
clumps of people driving in close proximity to each other. I in fact do see
such clumps, but try to avoid being in them. This is one way not to get one
started.

>> Fact is, there's gonna be an LLB one way or the other,

>There would be one less if you would stop contributing to the problem.

I do stop contributing to the problem, but preventing the ducklings from
succeeding in clogging up the road.

>> most of the time. If I
>> stay in the right lane, you won't be able to get around the LLB in the left
>> lane.

>Why not? Are you legally blind or something?

'Cuz I'll be in the right lane, and the duckling will be LLBing on my left
rear.

>IOW, what prevents you from driving exactly like most of us do, and keep
>right except to pass? Are you afraid of making lane changes or something?

As a matter of fact, yes. 1st, they're just something else to go wrong, plus
they attract police attention.

>> If _I_ am in the left lane, you _will_ be able to get around because the
>> right lane will be clear, most of the time.

>Which is just plain wrong.

No, its a fact.

Dave Head
Old December 5th 04, 03:33 AM
Dave Head

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:18:36 -0700, Mike Z. Helm > wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 17:05:38 GMT, Dave Head >
>
>>OK, say I stay right and the typical duckling comes up and sits on my left rear
>>at 62 mph. Now _he's_ an LLB that people _can't_ get around and I'm an
>>_enabler_ for not accelerating or braking. IOW, I'm supposed to do something
>>about _his_ bad driving? Don't think so...
>>
>>Then we both catch a slower car, I get slowed down to 58 mph or whatever, and
>>you get 2 cars in the right lane plus the duckling doing the LLB thing. So, if
>>I stay in the right lane, things just get worse for everybody.
>>
>>At least when I drive left, the duckling is scraped off periodically by the
>>slower car in the right lane, and other people can pass me just fine... on the
>>right.
>>
>>Fact is, there's gonna be an LLB one way or the other, most of the time. If I
>>stay in the right lane, you won't be able to get around the LLB in the left
>>lane. If _I_ am in the left lane, you _will_ be able to get around because the
>>right lane will be clear, most of the time.
>>

>The only problem is you're just another duckling.

Not true. When I catch another car in the left lane, I pass it on the right.

Dave Head

Old December 5th 04, 03:35 AM
Alexander Rogge

>> At 7 mph over the limit, I am passing most everything else around
>> here.

> That's very hard to believe. Where is 'here'?

The Twilight Zone.