Audi A6 Avant aircon stopped

Old August 6th 06, 09:31 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Robincambs

Default Audi A6 Avant aircon stopped

I wonder if someone can help me, i have an Audi A6 avant, 2002 1.9 tdi
130. Whilst towing our caravan today, after 2 hours the aircon stopped.
After this happend i turned off the fan.When we got back home i left
the car for a few hours, hoping that something might reset itself, but
however i was not lucky.

The car was fully loaded 2 dogs, 2 boys and 2 adults and it was towing
a cravan. Am i pushing this too far - was this the cause of the aircon
failing...?

IS there something i can do - or do i need to get it to the local audi
dealer?

We're off on our family hols soon and really could do with the aircon .

Any help will be greatfully received

Cheers
Rob

Old August 6th 06, 09:45 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve E.

Check your outside air temp if that sensor has gone bad, meaning showing a
temperature less than 41 F, it will shut off your a/c compressor.

ups.com...

Old August 7th 06, 09:09 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Robincambs

Thanks for your reply Steve, the outside teperature is reading OK. I'm
not sure if this just needs a regas..?

Any tips on how to tell if it does?

Thanks in advance
Rob

Old August 9th 06, 10:22 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jone T.

Robincambs wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Steve, the outside teperature is reading OK. I'm
> not sure if this just needs a regas..?
>
> Any tips on how to tell if it does?

The dealer or any other garage can attach a manometer to the car and measure
if there is any pressure in the system. They can also measure the pressure
on the pressure and the suction side of the compressor while it is running.
This valves they use for attaching a manometer or discharge/refill gas is
under the plastic cover between the engine department and the windsheild. On
the passenger side.
If there was a leak you would probably noticed decreased performance from
the AC, and not a sudden stop.
The compressor itself is on the engines right side, under the turbo, exhaust
and all that. You have to get to it from the underside. You could try to see
if the safety device inside the compressor pulley is broken. See if you can
turn the inner part of the pulley. If the inner part can move and is not
fixed to the rim, the compressor is probably broken. (On older cars there is
a clutch used to engage and disengage the compressor inside the pulley)
This pulley broke on my '02 A6 Avant 1.9TDI a week after I got the car.

Jone T.

Old August 10th 06, 05:57 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Robincambs

Thanks for the information, i had a guy come round to check the
pressure and he said that he suspects the compressors failed.

If i find that the pulley is broken - can these be replaced or is it a
case of a whole new compressor?

Cheers
Rob