What happened to top posting here?

Old January 23rd 05, 03:37 PM
Greg

Default What happened to top posting here?

That's my question, one of things I always liked about this group, top
posting, last few days it seems 1/2 or more are bottom, pain in the ass to
read.

Old January 23rd 05, 03:42 PM
HarryS

Posting is like a roll of toilet paper some install it so it puss out from
the top and others install it so it pulls from the bottom however, the end
result is the same your butt gets wiped.

HarryS

Old January 23rd 05, 04:58 PM
Endo

I hear ya. Good thing I only use scroll mice, to scroll through a page and
a half of quote just to read the one word reply. This is the point where
someone will chime and and say that the way they read the news either
through a program or via the web isn't nested so they need to see the
original message before reading the reply. To that I say, get a real
newsreader dip****...there are better ways to do it.

Old January 23rd 05, 05:43 PM
Paul Calman

>What happened to top posting here?

Top posting shouldn't be done because it's rude. The convention was set long
before your newsreader was written.
We COULD drive on the left side of the road, and have steering wheels on the
right side, but those conventions later became law in the USA. There will be
no law on the usenet, but if you ignore convention you will be thought of by
others as being lazy, ignorant, ill-mannered, or all three.
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet/Etiquette/

--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Old January 23rd 05, 05:51 PM
Lee Ayrton

Welcome to the newsgroup rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys.top-or-bottom

Long ago the regulars here figured out that there were a finite number of
arguments one could make about wheither it was better to top-post or to
bottom-post but that in the end none of them ever solved anything, so to
save a lot of time spent typing, downloading and reading all the way
around they simply assigned numbers to each reason. Even-numbered
arguments are pro-top posting, odd-numbers arguments are pro-bottom
posting or interleaved responses. It works like this:

OP: Top-posting is good! Bottom-posting is Evil!
1R: 2!
2R: 7, ya ****wit.
OP: 4, 6
3R: Oh, come on, surely 3 and 11, no?
4R: When in Rome: 3 and 4.
2R: 12 _and_ 20. Yugo-driving panty-waist.
3R: When I started, 1, out of wood; 9, in the snow, both ways.
4R: Whatever. Aren't we here to talk Jeeps?
2R: 19, and learn to trim.
3R> Get a real 15, 17, 21.
5R: Hydrogen is the fuel of the future!
6R,3R,OP,4R: Troll!
7R: Top-posting is evil! Bottom-posting is Good!
4R: Oh, fark. Are we doing top-posting/bottom-posting again?
1R: 2!
8R: 7, you ****witt.

--
"I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with
whips....r"

Old January 23rd 05, 07:15 PM
twaldron

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA! Damn! Thanks for the laugh.

Paul Calman wrote:
> Top posting shouldn't be done because it's rude. The convention was set long
> before your newsreader was written.
> We COULD drive on the left side of the road, and have steering wheels on the
> right side, but those conventions later became law in the USA. There will be
> no law on the usenet, but if you ignore convention you will be thought of by
> others as being lazy, ignorant, ill-mannered, or all three.
> http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
> http://dmoz.org/Computers/Usenet/Etiquette/

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)
Old January 23rd 05, 07:29 PM
Jeff Strickland

Well, the trouble with gear heads is that we are a rather schitzophrenic
bunch.

"Greg" > wrote in message
> That's my question, one of things I always liked about this group, top
> posting, last few days it seems 1/2 or more are bottom, pain in the ass to
> read.

We will post on the top or the bottom. Kind of makes it hard to follow ...

Old January 23rd 05, 10:29 PM
RoyJ

Top posting for me.

Old January 23rd 05, 10:31 PM
Tomes

Not in the Jeep NGs. We have more common sense than this. Calling most of
us rude is quite rude indeed.
Tomes

Old January 23rd 05, 11:05 PM
mabar

Paul:

When in Rome, do as the Romans.

The polite thing to do is to read a particular newsgroup for a few days and
see what is the "norm" for that newsgroup. On this newsgroup, most people
top post, which I find much easier to read. No unnecessary long scrolling.

Whether top or bottom posting, the correct way is to clip most of the
unnecessary text from the previous posts in your reply. That really makes
posts much easier to read, either way.

Tom