Downshifting Grinding noise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 24th 05, 07:34 AM
Abeness

Pars wrote:
> I'm in the same boat. I went to the Honda dealership to get my clutch oil
> changed (for the 2nd time since owning the car). Turns out, that my clutch
> oil was low and the Honda mechanic recommends new master & slave cylinder
> and a overhaul for the clutch master cylinder. After 245,000km of hard
> driving, you'd think a simple oil change should do the job. Oh well..

What the hell is an "overhaul for a clutch master cylinder"--especially
after you get a new one? Methinks you have the terminology wrong for
what the overhaul is on. The master cylinder is the thing your clutch
pedal is connected to--nowhere near the actual clutch. It's easy to
replace, as is the slave cylinder, which is attached to the tranny and
activates the clutch release. I just did both on my 94 Civic.

BTW, there's brake fluid in the clutch hydraulics, oil in your tranny.
Better hope there's no oil in your clutch... ;-)

> would it be wise to also get a new clutch while their working on the clutch
> master cylinder?

If whatever they're wanting to do the overhaul on involves removing the
tranny, have them inspect the clutch for wear and decide then. Tegger's
still on his original clutch at 400,000 km...