Dead Battery : (

Old November 22nd 04, 11:34 PM
dragenwagen

Default Dead Battery : (

My '66 beetle sat for 2 weeks, battery worked fine. fixed accelerator cable
( it was broken ) and tried to start it... DEAD. Jumped it- started right
up... let run for 1/2 hour. next morning - dead. jumped it, let run for 45
minutes, drove to work. after work... dead.
HMMMM 13.6 volts when running so alternator is good. took battery of
unknown vintage to Autozone - since it had an autozone battery in it.
tester says its a bad battery. ok, give me a new one. $65 later and 2
minutes to install it... it works great. Funny how just letting it sit for
2 weeks killed it. but I think it was about 6 years old.

--
************************************************** **************
dragenwagen

Old November 23rd 04, 03:29 AM
Charles Fregeau

"dragenwagen" > wrote in message
> My '66 beetle sat for 2 weeks, battery worked fine. fixed accelerator
> cable
> ( it was broken ) and tried to start it... DEAD. Jumped it- started right
> up... let run for 1/2 hour. next morning - dead. jumped it, let run for
> 45
> minutes, drove to work. after work... dead.
> HMMMM 13.6 volts when running so alternator is good. took battery of
> unknown vintage to Autozone - since it had an autozone battery in it.
> tester says its a bad battery. ok, give me a new one. $65 later and 2
> minutes to install it... it works great. Funny how just letting it sit
> for
> 2 weeks killed it. but I think it was about 6 years old.
>
> --
> ************************************************** **************
> dragenwagen
> 1966 Type I - Daily Driver
> 1969 Type I - Undergoing heater channel replacement
> http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen
> "Old VW's Don't Leak Oil, They Mark Their Territory."
> ************************************************** **************

We had a '95 Previa with the original battery in it. Left the lights on at
a drive in one afternoon for lunch, and had to go over to the AutoZone to
get a new one. Up to then, it hadn't seemed to be in that bad a shape.

It happens to everyone. (We had no idea that the battery was 8 years old,
we had just bought it.)

Charles of Kankakee

Old November 23rd 04, 07:57 AM
Tomasz Antkowiak

dragenwagen wrote:

> HMMMM 13.6 volts when running so alternator is good. took battery of
> unknown vintage to Autozone - since it had an autozone battery in it.
> tester says its a bad battery. ok, give me a new one. $65 later and
> 2 minutes to install it... it works great. Funny how just letting it
> sit for 2 weeks killed it. but I think it was about 6 years old.

6 years is quite mutch for the battery
isn't 13,6V to low? my alternator gives 14,4 and i think that's the most
corect value. am i this right ?

--
Tomasz Antkowiak
antek VW 1500'66 Brown Sugar

Old November 23rd 04, 11:15 AM
dragenwagen

one time i took a volt reading it was 13.6VDC , another time 13.9VDC, but
the alternator is of unknown vintage also.

--
************************************************** **************

Old November 23rd 04, 01:16 PM
tricky

it will only read the voltage of the battery conected to it ! it should
reach 14.4 when fully charged.
To check the alternator, test with the engine stopped and with it
running. the voltage should be higher when running.

Old November 23rd 04, 07:52 PM
Howard Rose

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:29:39 -0600, "Charles Fregeau"
> wrote:

>We had a '95 Previa with the original battery in it. Left the lights on at
>a drive in one afternoon for lunch, and had to go over to the AutoZone to
>get a new one. Up to then, it hadn't seemed to be in that bad a shape.

Previa as in Toyota Previa? My parents bought one brand new in early
1991, and the battery on that lasted until last summer - 12 years !!!
It worked perfectly until it gave up one day in a supermarket car
park.

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old November 23rd 04, 07:52 PM
Howard Rose

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 05:15:28 -0600, "dragenwagen"
> wrote:

>one time i took a volt reading it was 13.6VDC , another time 13.9VDC, but
>the alternator is of unknown vintage also.

If you really want to know, they are usually datestamped on the
body...

Old November 24th 04, 03:37 AM
Charles Fregeau

"Howard Rose" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:29:39 -0600, "Charles Fregeau"
> > wrote:
>
>>We had a '95 Previa with the original battery in it. Left the lights on
>>at
>>a drive in one afternoon for lunch, and had to go over to the AutoZone to
>>get a new one. Up to then, it hadn't seemed to be in that bad a shape.

> Previa as in Toyota Previa? My parents bought one brand new in early
> 1991, and the battery on that lasted until last summer - 12 years !!!
> It worked perfectly until it gave up one day in a supermarket car
> park.
>
> --
> Howard Rose
> 1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
> 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe
> 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
> http://www.howard81.co.uk/ (cars on website)

Yes as in 95 Toyota Previa L/E SC. The dealer thought SC stood for Swivel
Chairs. <g>

We had the battery tested when we bought it, and it passed the test then.
Guess that last deep discharge was one toke over the line.

Charles in Kankakee

Old November 25th 04, 09:15 AM
Brenda

Howard Rose > wrote in message >. ..
> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 05:15:28 -0600, "dragenwagen"
> > wrote:
>
> >one time i took a volt reading it was 13.6VDC , another time 13.9VDC, but
> >the alternator is of unknown vintage also.

> If you really want to know, they are usually datestamped on the
> body...

Yes they are date stamped Look on top and usually you will see about
2 letters and two numbers,,, They will start out with the Alphabet A
thru L.. Which "A" means January, "B" means Febuary all the way to
L=December. Then you will see a number behind that letter, if it has a
" 9 " that means it was bought in 1999,
0 = 2000 and so on. Now for warranty purposes "IF YOU HAVE A
INTERSTATE" battery there is no reciept required. If your punch out
days are within a 6 month range of the stamped day you can get it
adjusted anywhere. I have heard of some places not adjusting the
battery just because you don't have the Month and year punched out. So
If ya take one in just make sure its within that six month stamp day.
MT-34 works great on a bug, low profile. Let me correct
myself on the Group-2 6-v, It has a hi-profile top post, not good. I'm
trying to remember the battery that works good,,something,
something-17, brain fart. ANYONE? Burp,,,,,tony