Chrysler 2.4L Engine Oil Leak

Old October 10th 04, 02:23 AM
Rajsircar

Default Chrysler 2.4L Engine Oil Leak

Does anyone have the details of the TSB regarding oil leaks for this 2.4L 4cyl.
Chrysler engine? My friends 1997 Plymouth Voyager with a 2.4L enhine with only
42K miles has developed a serious oil leak. Leak seems to be from the cyl. head
area?
Old October 10th 04, 10:29 PM
maxpower

TSB 09-08-99, No speacial details, R&R cyl head and replace with updated
gasket
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old October 10th 04, 10:29 PM
maxpower

Old October 11th 04, 06:56 AM
sparks065

"Rajsircar" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have the details of the TSB regarding oil leaks for this 2.4L

4cyl.
> Chrysler engine? My friends 1997 Plymouth Voyager with a 2.4L enhine with

only
> 42K miles has developed a serious oil leak. Leak seems to be from the cyl.

head
> area?

The head gasket may well have blown.
A typical symptom is an oil leak on the right rear of the head and block
(facing the vehicle).
In 1999 the head gasket was redesigned for both the 2.0 and 2.4 L engines
but obviously
your friend's 1997 predates that change.

Doug

Old October 11th 04, 06:56 AM
sparks065

Old October 11th 04, 03:28 PM
Kirk Matheson

"sparks065" > wrote in message thlink.net>...
> "Rajsircar" > wrote in message
> > Does anyone have the details of the TSB regarding oil leaks for this 2.4L

> 4cyl.
> > Chrysler engine? My friends 1997 Plymouth Voyager with a 2.4L enhine with

> only
> > 42K miles has developed a serious oil leak. Leak seems to be from the cyl.

> head
> > area?

> The head gasket may well have blown.
> A typical symptom is an oil leak on the right rear of the head and block
> (facing the vehicle).
> In 1999 the head gasket was redesigned for both the 2.0 and 2.4 L engines
> but obviously
> your friend's 1997 predates that change.
>
> Doug

This is true. My 1998 Stratus developed a leak at 52,000 miles. Oil
began dripping from the left rear corner of the head. The replacement
MLS gasket fixed the problem. The MLS gasket began use in February or
March 1999. According to a Chrysler repair tech that I spoke with,
very few leak again once the MLS gasket is properly installed.

-Kirk Matheson
Old October 11th 04, 03:28 PM
Kirk Matheson

Old October 12th 04, 01:36 AM
Rajsircar

Thanks to all for the info. What would happen if the gasket is not replaced,
BUT oil level is maintained despite the leak. There does not appear to be any
problem with coolant like right now.

Is it a problem with gasket sealing at the edges around the oil passages?

Is Chrysler replacing the gasket at no charge if the vehicle is over 5 years
old?
Old October 12th 04, 01:36 AM
Rajsircar

Thanks to all for the info. What would happen if the gasket is not replaced,
BUT oil level is maintained despite the leak. There does not appear to be any
problem with coolant like right now.

Is it a problem with gasket sealing at the edges around the oil passages?

Is Chrysler replacing the gasket at no charge if the vehicle is over 5 years
old?

Rotary Engine FAQ 0501 Felix Miata Driving 0 January 1st 05 12:27 PM
1990 520i engine probs Work Hard BMW 3 October 28th 04 05:01 PM
Neon 2.4L engine swap... good idea?? qslim Dodge 0 July 21st 04 02:13 AM