How does towing work?

Old July 19th 05, 02:40 AM
George Grapman

The Real Bev wrote:
> George Grapman wrote:
>

>> In California AAA has two types of membership, One gives you up to 5
>>miles of tow up to 4 times a year. The other gives up to 100 miles four
>>times a year

> What, they changed it? ... Nope, 7 miles according to the website. And they
> have three levels of membership.

From their web site:

http://www.csaa.com/yourcar/ersguide...050200,00.html

Towing
When a disabled vehicle cannot be started or driven safely, it will be
towed to either the independent contract service station answering the
ERS call, anywhere of your choosing within five miles of where you're
stranded, or anywhere that is en route to, or within five miles of, the
contract station. Additional towing may be available at your expense. If
you are a AAA Plus® Member, towing is provided up to 100 miles per
disablement from the point of disablement at no charge (up to 4 times
per year).

--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell
Old July 19th 05, 03:26 AM
The Real Bev

George Grapman wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
> > George Grapman wrote:
> >
> >> In California AAA has two types of membership, One gives you up to 5
> >>miles of tow up to 4 times a year. The other gives up to 100 miles four
> >>times a year

> > What, they changed it? ... Nope, 7 miles according to the website. And they
> > have three levels of membership.

> From their web site:
>
> http://www.csaa.com/yourcar/ersguide...050200,00.html
>
> Towing
> When a disabled vehicle cannot be started or driven safely, it will be
> towed to either the independent contract service station answering the
> ERS call, anywhere of your choosing within five miles of where you're
> stranded, or anywhere that is en route to, or within five miles of, the
> contract station. Additional towing may be available at your expense. If
> you are a AAA Plus® Member, towing is provided up to 100 miles per
> disablement from the point of disablement at no charge (up to 4 times
> per year).

From a different website (http://www.aaa-calif.com/mem/auto/ers.asp)

---------begin---------

Towing Benefits

* AAA Premier? ? Receive one 200-mile tow per membership year, and the
remaining calls up to 100 miles per membership year
* AAA Plus? ? Receive 4 calls per membership year, up to 100 miles each
* Standard ? Receive 4 calls per membership year, up to 7 miles each

When a vehicle cannot be started or safely driven, the vehicle can be towed to
the independent contract station providing the service (no matter how far
away) at no charge to the member.

A member must be present when the vehicle is delivered to a closed repair
facility. Towing beyond the benefits described above is at the member's
expense and may be subject to a delay.

------------end------------

Confusion increases....

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old July 19th 05, 04:12 AM
George Grapman

The Real Bev wrote:

> From a different website (http://www.aaa-calif.com/mem/auto/ers.asp)
>
> ---------begin---------
>
> Towing Benefits
>
> * AAA Premier? ? Receive one 200-mile tow per membership year, and the
> remaining calls up to 100 miles per membership year
> * AAA Plus? ? Receive 4 calls per membership year, up to 100 miles each
> * Standard ? Receive 4 calls per membership year, up to 7 miles each
>
> When a vehicle cannot be started or safely driven, the vehicle can be towed to
> the independent contract station providing the service (no matter how far
> away) at no charge to the member.
>
> A member must be present when the vehicle is delivered to a closed repair
> facility. Towing beyond the benefits described above is at the member's
> expense and may be subject to a delay.
>
> ------------end------------
>
> Confusion increases....

I am happy to report that we are both correct. I posted the CSAA web
site which handles northern California. You have the site for the
totally separate Auto Club of Southern California.
--
To reply via e-mail please delete 1 c from paccbell
Old July 19th 05, 04:15 AM
The Real Bev

George Grapman wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
> >
> > From a different website (http://www.aaa-calif.com/mem/auto/ers.asp)
> >
> > ---------begin---------
> >
> > Towing Benefits
> >
> > * AAA Premier? ? Receive one 200-mile tow per membership year, and the
> > remaining calls up to 100 miles per membership year
> > * AAA Plus? ? Receive 4 calls per membership year, up to 100 miles each
> > * Standard ? Receive 4 calls per membership year, up to 7 miles each
> >
> > When a vehicle cannot be started or safely driven, the vehicle can be towed to
> > the independent contract station providing the service (no matter how far
> > away) at no charge to the member.
> >
> > A member must be present when the vehicle is delivered to a closed repair
> > facility. Towing beyond the benefits described above is at the member's
> > expense and may be subject to a delay.
> >
> > ------------end------------
> >
> > Confusion increases....
> >

> I am happy to report that we are both correct. I posted the CSAA web
> site which handles northern California. You have the site for the
> totally separate Auto Club of Southern California.

Isn't it interesting that they're all different and all apparently charge
different fees.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old July 19th 05, 05:15 AM
Bob Ward

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 03:12:44 GMT, George Grapman
> wrote:

>The Real Bev wrote:
>>

>> From a different website (http://www.aaa-calif.com/mem/auto/ers.asp)
>>
>> ---------begin---------
>>
>> Towing Benefits
>>
>> * AAA Premier? ? Receive one 200-mile tow per membership year, and the
>> remaining calls up to 100 miles per membership year
>> * AAA Plus? ? Receive 4 calls per membership year, up to 100 miles each
>> * Standard ? Receive 4 calls per membership year, up to 7 miles each
>>
>> When a vehicle cannot be started or safely driven, the vehicle can be towed to
>> the independent contract station providing the service (no matter how far
>> away) at no charge to the member.
>>
>> A member must be present when the vehicle is delivered to a closed repair
>> facility. Towing beyond the benefits described above is at the member's
>> expense and may be subject to a delay.
>>
>> ------------end------------
>>
>> Confusion increases....
>>

> I am happy to report that we are both correct. I posted the CSAA web
>site which handles northern California. You have the site for the
>totally separate Auto Club of Southern California.

So... what happens if you live in Southern California and need a tow
in San Jose? Follow Bev's advice and park it in the slow lane and let
someone punt you the last two miles?

Old July 19th 05, 05:40 AM
The Real Bev

Bob Ward wrote:

> > wrote:
>
> >The Real Bev wrote:
> >>
> >> From a different website (http://www.aaa-calif.com/mem/auto/ers.asp)
> >>
> >> ---------begin---------
> >>
> >> Towing Benefits
> >>
> >> * AAA Premier? ? Receive one 200-mile tow per membership year, and the
> >> remaining calls up to 100 miles per membership year
> >> * AAA Plus? ? Receive 4 calls per membership year, up to 100 miles each
> >> * Standard ? Receive 4 calls per membership year, up to 7 miles each
> >>
> >> When a vehicle cannot be started or safely driven, the vehicle can be towed to
> >> the independent contract station providing the service (no matter how far
> >> away) at no charge to the member.
> >>
> >> A member must be present when the vehicle is delivered to a closed repair
> >> facility. Towing beyond the benefits described above is at the member's
> >> expense and may be subject to a delay.
> >>
> >> ------------end------------
> >>
> >> Confusion increases....

> > I am happy to report that we are both correct. I posted the CSAA web
> >site which handles northern California. You have the site for the
> >totally separate Auto Club of Southern California.

> So... what happens if you live in Southern California and need a tow
> in San Jose? Follow Bev's advice and park it in the slow lane and let
> someone punt you the last two miles?

I doubt if the tow-jockey cares where you bought your membership -- otherwise
you'd play hell getting a tow in an expensive area if you'd bought your
membership in a cheap area.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old July 19th 05, 06:08 AM

George wrote:
> was driving at highway speed on the Interstate on a busy Friday
> afternoon when the engine simply stopped. Fortunately I was in the far
> left lane so I was able to coast off the road without cutting thru
> traffic. I had the car towed in to the garage. It started and ran OK.
> The computer did not have any stored codes. They eventually found a
> failing crankshaft position sensor.

the engine would not re-start out on the side of the Interstate, but
would after cooling down? MIght have been a thermal effect which may
recur some sad day.

I am not one who automatically presumes dishonesty on the part of
service vendors. But I also will not automatically presume that a
successful "repair", is a the same as a "cure". There's an old saying
that "a conclusion is where you were standing when you got tired of
thinking". For example, did they subject the position sensor to a
battery of tests, *in a test jig outside the engine*

You're happy because they fixed the complaint within a reasonable
budget. THat's a very normal & rational thing. We should not mistake
their actions for a complete diagnostic work-up.

A real diagnostic work-up for evaluating a vehicle isn't easy to
find.... it takes LOT of expensive equipment, and a learning curve for
the mechanics. Money, and more money, which could only be recovered by
charging for... no repair work. Bev, over in another thread, already
displayed a VERY typical consumer reaction to such an offer: "I don't
want to pay for information about the mechanical condition of my
property". She is really in the center of the Bell curve. How many
people get their homes inspected outside of a trying-to-sell situation?
How many people keep even the simplest track of MPG or of (eg) battery
specific gravity, or condition of crankcase oil? THese things are
quite cheap to do.

Go into any auto-parts store and look at the tremendous number and
variety of after-market products which cater to activities which
enhance the COSMETICS of a vehicle. They get the shelf space because
they have a high profit margin (ie, the chemicals involved are not
spectactular, but they've been marked up spectactularly); and because
they move well. People get pleasure in burnishing the appearance of
their vehicles. I don't see many people blueprinting their engines, or
the auxiliaries.

It used to be that the AAA of Massachusetts owned and operated an
actual Diagnostic Center. You paid a few hundred dollars for a
top-to-bottom evaluation of your vehicle, by Master Mechanics using the
best instrumentation... no repairs, you paid for RELIABLE INFORMATION.
I don't know if it still exists.

Front Speakers Don't Work - 94 Accord [email protected] Honda 0 March 15th 05 03:51 AM
Can you tell me how Torq Sticks Work? Lawrence Glickman Technology 30 March 6th 05 04:07 AM
97 accord - low beam head lights don't work msgal Honda 12 February 26th 05 05:54 PM
Best Home Base Work Reynard Saturn 0 November 10th 04 02:02 AM
96 Ford Contour Zetec engine - hard to work on? john smith General 0 March 16th 04 12:23 PM