2003 Accord Radio Display Problem

Old June 22nd 05, 06:00 AM
Sparky Spartacus

Casey wrote:

> Mike said
>

>>Casey, any luck from your dealer or Honda yet?

> Wow. Out of the blue, an American Honda rep finally called me back
> today after 3 weeks. I explained the situation (my 2003 is two years
> old and has almost 40,000 miles now) and also explained that I didn't
> want to make a 50 mile round trip so someone could say, "yeah, the
> radio display really is dark" and then order a new one and tell me to
> come back later.
>
> This rep called my dealer. In ten minutes I got a call from the dealer
> - radio is ordered, we will call you next week when it is in, and Honda
> will pay to have it replaced.
>
> I'm close to a happy ending on this and beginning to have a good
> feeling about it.

Congrats, Casey, good news for all us 2003 Accord owners!

Old June 23rd 05, 05:30 PM
Beerman182

I got mine fixed Finally it took about two weeks but the part is on
it's way

Old June 26th 05, 03:32 PM
Mike

The ordeal with Honda only took a few days, and they told me to take it
into the dealer to confirm the problem. The dealer had it back to me
the next day (the repalcement system was in stock). Pretty quick and
painless.

Old June 29th 05, 05:05 AM
Casey

Mike said

> The ordeal with Honda only took a few days, and they told me to take it
> into the dealer to confirm the problem. The dealer had it back to me
> the next day (the repalcement system was in stock). Pretty quick and
> painless.

My radio is in and I'm supposed to have it swapped out on Thursday.

The dealer didn't call when it came in. Believe it or not, the
American Honda caseworker called me today to see if everything was
resolved - she then called the dealer and called me back to say the
radio was indeed sitting there waiting for me. I've been impressed
with this caseworker.

Casey
Old June 30th 05, 08:01 PM
Casey

Casey said
> Mike said
>
> > The ordeal with Honda only took a few days, and they told me to take it
> > into the dealer to confirm the problem. The dealer had it back to me
> > the next day (the repalcement system was in stock). Pretty quick and
> > painless.

> My radio is in and I'm supposed to have it swapped out on Thursday.
>
> The dealer didn't call when it came in. Believe it or not, the
> American Honda caseworker called me today to see if everything was
> resolved - she then called the dealer and called me back to say the
> radio was indeed sitting there waiting for me. I've been impressed
> with this caseworker.

I now have a new radio and a display that works. Had an appointment at
the dealer at 10:30 am and drove off with the installed new radio at
11:45. Not bad at all. The display burned out at about 39,500 miles,
but thanks to the caseworker at American Honda, it was a free
replacement.

My new display might not be as bright as the old one that burned out.
It might just be my imagination - it's also a very bright and sunny day
which doesn't help any. I can at least see it now.

Casey
Old July 1st 05, 04:42 PM
Beerman182

I di dfind out that the reason for the TSB was that the supplier who
initally sent out the units with the vehicles was putting in parts that
didn't meet spec.

My display seems the same way, maybe they set the led light to a lower
level. On the old uni i noticed it used to heat up pretty good this
one seems to stay pretty cool in comparison.

Big thanks to mike for sharing his solutions so we all have an avenue
to pursue.

Old July 3rd 05, 04:55 AM
Casey

Beerman182 said
> I di dfind out that the reason for the TSB was that the supplier who
> initally sent out the units with the vehicles was putting in parts that
> didn't meet spec.
>
> My display seems the same way, maybe they set the led light to a lower
> level. On the old uni i noticed it used to heat up pretty good this
> one seems to stay pretty cool in comparison.
>
> Big thanks to mike for sharing his solutions so we all have an avenue
> to pursue.

Also, thanks to some others in the previous related threads. Al gave me
some good info that helped a lot.

This is a classic example of how useful and powerful a newsgroup like
this can be.

Casey
Old July 7th 05, 02:17 AM
Will

I recently had the same problem, and am out of warray as well (69K
miles!!). I called the Honda and they told me to take it into the
dealership to get it diagnosed. My question is, my dealership charges
$90 to do diagnostics, which I have to pay whether I make the repair or
not. Should I expect Honda to cover this, or am I gonna be paying it?
Anyone else get this charge?

Will

Old July 7th 05, 03:44 AM
SoCalMike

Will wrote:
> I recently had the same problem, and am out of warray as well (69K
> miles!!). I called the Honda and they told me to take it into the
> dealership to get it diagnosed. My question is, my dealership charges
> $90 to do diagnostics, which I have to pay whether I make the repair or
> not. Should I expect Honda to cover this, or am I gonna be paying it?
> Anyone else get this charge?

if i KNEW they were gonna replace the radio, id just pay it. if they
take the $90 and say "tough ****", then yeah, id be ****ed.
Old July 8th 05, 04:00 AM
Casey

Will said

> I recently had the same problem, and am out of warray as well (69K
> miles!!). I called the Honda and they told me to take it into the
> dealership to get it diagnosed. My question is, my dealership charges
> $90 to do diagnostics, which I have to pay whether I make the repair or
> not. Should I expect Honda to cover this, or am I gonna be paying it?
> Anyone else get this charge?

I'm not sure there is a diagnostic to run except turn on the radio and
say, "Yeah, it's dark".

I called American Honda first and worked out the details before I went
to the dealer to have the radio swapped out. It took some patience.

Casey

2003 Accord Radio dead Fred Honda 2 July 6th 05 04:43 AM
2003 Mazda Protoge vs 1995 Honda Accord Wagon [email protected] General 2 May 19th 05 09:02 AM
XM satellite radio problem. Anyone see this? Richard Forester Honda 11 January 20th 05 04:38 PM
Blank radio display BillyforExplorers Ford Explorer 0 November 9th 04 05:57 PM
1991 Honda Accord Startup Problem Frank starr General 6 March 22nd 04 12:31 AM