Snow tires

Old March 12th 09, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

Default Snow tires

For a RWD car (Mustang GT) do you need snow tires all around or just
on the rears?
Old March 12th 09, 05:22 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-03-12, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> For a RWD car (Mustang GT) do you need snow tires all around or just
> on the rears?

All around is best, especially considering that the recomended snow tire
size is a slightly different. (although one could get snow tires the
same size) With a full set the two sets of tires will wear evenly and it
will avoid getting into a situation of replacing pairs of tires. All
four will stay matched, winter and summer.

I suppose you can get by with snows just on the rear. The drawback
would be understeer in the snow, but that's a safer condition
than the rear end breaking loose...

Old March 12th 09, 06:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 21:44:14 -0700, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>For a RWD car (Mustang GT) do you need snow tires all around or just
>on the rears?

you brake with all four. get four snows if you can afford it.
Old March 12th 09, 06:48 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
SeaWoe

On Mar 11, 10:22*pm, Brent > wrote:
> On 2009-03-12, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>
> > For a RWD car (Mustang GT) do you need snow tires all around or just
> > on the rears?

> All around is best, especially considering that the recomended snow tire
> size is a slightly different. (although one could get snow tires the
> same size) With a full set the two sets of tires will wear evenly and it
> will avoid getting into a situation of replacing pairs of tires. All
> four will stay matched, winter and summer.
>
> I suppose you can get by with snows just on the rear. The drawback
> would be understeer in the snow, but that's a safer condition
> than the rear end breaking loose...

FWIW, At Lake Placid, NY, winter Olympic site, even after snow tires
came out the taxis, would drive on regular tires.
Snow tires doesn't mean you can stop driving with an egg under your
right foot, it just means that you can have an easier time..
Old March 12th 09, 11:51 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

On Mar 12, 1:22*am, Brent > wrote:
> On 2009-03-12, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>
> > For a RWD car (Mustang GT) do you need snow tires all around or just
> > on the rears?

> All around is best, especially considering that the recomended snow tire
> size is a slightly different. (although one could get snow tires the
> same size)

Yes, the recommended snow tire size is a slightly different...
something... but you could get snow tires of the same size.

> With a full set the two sets of tires will wear evenly

Yes, the fronts of both sets won't wear faster than the rears... but
only if you have 2 full sets.

But, you have to keep the sets where they can see each other during
the longest parking periods. If you park on the street at night
you'll want to chain the set not in use to a nearby pole or something.

> and it
> will avoid getting into a situation of replacing pairs of tires.

Yes, few things are worse than having to buy only 2 tires.

> All
> four will stay matched, winter and summer.

Yes, they will not change make, model, or size, and you won't wake up
one morning to find one has decided to grow a white sidewall.

> I suppose you can get by with snows just on the rear. The drawback
> would be understeer in the snow, but that's a safer condition
> than the rear end breaking loose...

Yes, as long as you can "go" in the snow, don't worry about being able
to steer.
-----

- gpsman
Old March 12th 09, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 23:48:27 -0700 (PDT), SeaWoe > wrote:
>On Mar 11, 10:22*pm, Brent > wrote:
>> On 2009-03-12, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
>>
>> > For a RWD car (Mustang GT) do you need snow tires all around or just
>> > on the rears?

>> All around is best, especially considering that the recomended snow tire
>> size is a slightly different. (although one could get snow tires the
>> same size) With a full set the two sets of tires will wear evenly and it
>> will avoid getting into a situation of replacing pairs of tires. All
>> four will stay matched, winter and summer.
>>
>> I suppose you can get by with snows just on the rear. The drawback
>> would be understeer in the snow, but that's a safer condition
>> than the rear end breaking loose...

>FWIW, At Lake Placid, NY, winter Olympic site, even after snow tires
>came out the taxis, would drive on regular tires.

cite?

Old March 12th 09, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Ashton Crusher wrote:

> For a RWD car (Mustang GT) do you need snow tires all around or just
> on the rears?

You should get them for all four wheels (and the spare if possible).
For two more tires, you're looking at a difference of $150 to $200.
That's cheaper than any body shop and probably around the price of tow
truck service.
Old March 12th 09, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
DanKMTB

On Mar 12, 12:44*am, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> For a RWD car (Mustang GT) do you need snow tires all around or just
> on the rears?

I'd worry about front before rear. I find steering to be terribly
important. A sloppy rear end is a lot easier for me to control than a
car that pushes straight when I turn the wheel.
Old March 13th 09, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-03-12, Arif Khokar > wrote:
> Ashton Crusher wrote:
>
>> For a RWD car (Mustang GT) do you need snow tires all around or just
>> on the rears?

> You should get them for all four wheels (and the spare if possible).

spare? It's a default mini-spare unless he's done like me.... And I
don't even go as far as 5th tire for each set. I keep a summer tire as
a spare in the winter and winter tire as a spare in the summer.

Old March 13th 09, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Brent wrote:
> On 2009-03-12, Arif Khokar > wrote:

>> You should get them for all four wheels (and the spare if possible).

> spare? It's a default mini-spare unless he's done like me.... And I
> don't even go as far as 5th tire for each set. I keep a summer tire as
> a spare in the winter and winter tire as a spare in the summer.

With a AWD system it is important (because driving with a different size
tire may damage the system). Of course, that's not relevant for RWD
vehicle ... though I wonder if having two different sized tires on the
rear would be an issue for the rear differential ...

snow tires Nate Nagel[_2_] Driving 2 December 6th 07 03:44 AM
Winter drivinng: FWD and RWD with snow tires vs. AWD with all-season tires - what people who have done the tests say GRL BMW 27 February 26th 06 06:27 PM
tires snow dave Mazda 11 December 25th 05 08:37 AM
FS: 5'er Snow Tires: Wheels and Tires Nik BMW 5 December 16th 05 12:36 AM
snow tires Konyoman Honda 2 November 27th 05 10:49 PM