Rear Brake Disks

Old February 23rd 05, 08:17 PM
M C

Default Rear Brake Disks

Hi,

I've recently installed rear brake discs (rotors), brake pads, and
handbrake shoes. All went OK, I followed Haines manual and TIS fairly
closely. The discs are genuine BMW, bought from the main dealer.

I've done about 700 miles now and braking seems fine, however at low speed
occasionally I can hear a ticking sound coming from the back, sound changes
slightly when cornering and it gets quicker the faster the wheels go. The
car drives fine and doesn't feel unstable in any way but the ticking/rubbing
noise is annoying. I'm wondering that it may still be because they are
still bedding in.

Does anyone know if this normal for rear brakes when bedding in, or
could I have something failing like a wheel bearing ?

Thanks guys

MC

Old February 25th 05, 09:08 PM
M C

To update my posting:

I had a mechanic look at the brakes and they check out fine on the brake
tester dyno machine. The braking force is balanced and no binding, an MOT
pass!.

But the noise is still there, more annoying than ever.

I'm wondering now whether it could be the diff., or the bearings. The
mechanic checked for play and couldn't find any.

Has anyone here got any idea what could be causing this ticking/rubbing
noise from the rear axle, or what I can do to isolate the cause.

Thanks

MC

Old February 28th 05, 08:13 PM
Jeff Strickland

"M C" > wrote in message
> To update my posting:
>
> I had a mechanic look at the brakes and they check out fine on the brake
> tester dyno machine. The braking force is balanced and no binding, an MOT
> pass!.
>
> But the noise is still there, more annoying than ever.
>
> I'm wondering now whether it could be the diff., or the bearings. The
> mechanic checked for play and couldn't find any.
>
> Has anyone here got any idea what could be causing this ticking/rubbing
> noise from the rear axle, or what I can do to isolate the cause.
>
> Thanks
>
> MC

You should be able to isolate the cause by riding the brakes for a few
seconds when you hear the noise. If the noise goes away when the brakes are
applied, then it is time to look at them again. There are anti-squeal pieces
that are supposed to be used.

Also, the parking brake might be adjusted too tightly. Pull the brake handle
a click or two to see if the noise can be forced to change.

I am telling you to try applying the brakes to see if you can alter the
symtoms. This is a diagnostic activity. LIGHTLY apply the brakes for a few
seconds, either the foot brake or the parking brake, just to see if you can
influence the noise. I AM NOT suggesting you drive around with your foot on
the brake pedal, or with the parking brake lever set.

Old March 1st 05, 12:02 PM
M C

Thanks for the response.

I stripped the offending side down again as far as taking the disk off. No
obvious signs of rubbing on the shield or anywhere else. So I span the hub
round and no rubbing either. Disk back on again and rubbing reoccurs!
Concluded it must be the disk so I put tip-ex round the shoes, put disk on,
rubbed a few times then once disk off again I discovered that it is rubbing
on the shoe. Drivers side, bottom shoe towards front of car. I've
discovered on the TIS now that an approved bedding in method (new disks and
shoes) involves driving with handbrake applied and repeating as many times
as necessary! I've done that quite a bit now and it seems like it's getting
better slowly. However it does seem to give more noise when I'm turning and
I was thinking that perhaps my bearing is failing giving some play in the
hub/wheel/disk, with shoes being fixed solidly to the car relatively.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

MC