Broken Spark Plug - Need help fast

Old January 27th 05, 02:09 AM
Lawrence Glickman

Default Broken Spark Plug - Need help fast

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:01:37 -0500, jbarts >
wrote:

>1996 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9l engine
>
>I was changing my plugs and one broke. The "body" of the plug came out
>but the part that bottom part screws into the head is still in there.
>
>What can I do to remove this, I've tried my tap and die, I could not
>move it. Out of all the plugs it had the most rust. I've WD40 it and
>will let it sit overnight.
>
>Is there anything I can buy that will help me take this out?
>
>I'm guessing it might have to be drilled out.
>
>If I have to take it to a shop, what will something like this cost to
>fix?
>

>Please reply here, and if you need more info just ask, I'll be
>checking the thread hourly!
>

>Thanks!

I think you mean the plug broke in half where the threads are left in
the block along with the bottom part?

This is time for REAL penetrating oil, NOT WD40, which is not a REAL
penetrating oil.

Use _real_ penetrating oil. Everybody owns at least some. Then let
it soak, go out and give it a tap every now and then with a hammer and
a screwdriver, and add MORE "Real" penetrating oil. Repeat as often
as necessary until you've loosened the corrosion enough to get it out
of the spark plug hole.

Lg

Old January 27th 05, 05:34 PM
Sarge

Try something called Kroil if you can find it. We use it at work in a
Chemical and Oil facility. This stuff works. It comes in spray form and
liquid. We buy it in both forms. It also comes in bulk 55 gallon Drums.
We use a regular squirt bottle like 409 comes in to refill as needed. The
spray cans are more convenient.

Sarge

Old January 28th 05, 12:42 AM
Steve W.

BTDT,
Wifes 94 had a plug blow apart in it, the only thing left was the
threaded portion of the plug. It was stuck real good.
Came out real easy.

First step - Stick a small rag or towel into the hole and clean up all
the oil/penetrant and any other dirt.
Second - Used a very small torch tip to heat the insert almost red hot.
(I picked up a small oxy/MAPP kit since it was smaller than my big
torch).
Third - Use an easy out and screw it in as far as possible. The insert
may come out while it is hot BUT I waited till it cooled.

Clean up the tools and put a new set of Delco plugs in. Drive away
happy.

--
Steve Williams

Old January 28th 05, 03:10 AM
Moses Horwitz

"Steve W." wrote:

> BTDT,
> Wifes 94 had a plug blow apart in it, the only thing left was the
> threaded portion of the plug. It was stuck real good.
> Came out real easy.
>
> First step - Stick a small rag or towel into the hole and clean up all
> the oil/penetrant and any other dirt.
> Second - Used a very small torch tip to heat the insert almost red hot.
> (I picked up a small oxy/MAPP kit since it was smaller than my big
> torch).
> Third - Use an easy out and screw it in as far as possible. The insert
> may come out while it is hot BUT I waited till it cooled.
>
> Clean up the tools and put a new set of Delco plugs in. Drive away
> happy.
>
> --
> Steve Williams

Delco plugs in a Mopar?!!! Never!!!