diesel on my gas tank

Old November 29th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Default diesel on my gas tank

Tegger > wrote in
:

> wrote in news:8963a3f9-b65b-4aa4-8915-5839c02193a0
> @e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com:
>
>> On Nov 28, 7:34 am, Tegger > wrote:
>>
>>> Acetone is a solvent that destroys plastics. You have lots of
>>> plastic in your fuel system.
>>>

>> plastic parts in the fuel sytem of a 2007 honda CR-V? what kind of
>> horse **** is it? name one! i dare ya..

> Perhaps I should have said "polymeric" rather than "plastic". That
> would have covered those plastics that feel "rubbery" as well as those
> that feel "plasticky".
>
> You have copious amounts of polymers in your fuel system. A great many
> gaskets, diaphragms and O-rings, for a start. Plus much of the EVAP
> system is plastic. Your fuel filler neck is surely at least partially
> plastic, as is the seal on the gas cap.
>
> Those polymers are also the reason most cars can't use gasolines with
> more than 10% ethanol in them. Excessive ethanol will have a similar
> effect to acetone.

And you don't have to take my word for it, either.

See he
http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...anuary/08.html

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old December 3rd 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dana[_2_]

"Paul" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> today has been my day????
>> I had about one to two gallons of fuel left on my tank I pull to the
>> pump and start pumping the wrong liquid((DIESEL))))
>> Thanks the lord i only pump 2 gallons onlyI stopped imediately call
>> aaa and got my car towed to my house.
>> My car is a 2007 CVR honda. Its late now but I hope somebody lthat
>> knows will be able to advice me today what to do?
>> I do not want to take it to the dealerIf I can helped.
>> even if I have to get a mechanic.
>> Does anybody knows if this type of car Gas tank can be empty by the
>> bottom or tank must be take down?
>>
>> Help!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Jim Osorio
>>

> Aren't diesel nozzles usually larger in diameter than gas nozzles, so as
> to prevent just such a thing from happening?

No they certainly aren't larger . They're usually green in color though .

Old December 7th 07, 06:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

gasoline is a solvent itself!!! the bad thing about ethanol and
acetone in gas is the low viscosities which will cause damage to the
fuel pumps.

i've heard about boosting gas mileage with acetone, but hate the
inconvenience of stocking acetone all the time. i add acetone to my
gas tank once a year, however, 8 oz per a full tank, before bringing
it to a smog check, my Accord runs on a gutted catalytic converter.

Old December 7th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"Tegger" > wrote i
Someone wrote
>> gasoline is a solvent itself!!!

> Gasoline is a solvent, yes. A solvent which the fuel
> system is
> /specifically designed for/. The fuel system is /not/
> designed for acetone.
>
> And have you ever noticed how gas can go in plastic
> containers, but acetone
> is stored in /metal/ containers? Ever wondered why?

The typical nail polish remover is acetone. It's sold in
some kind of plastic bottle. Definitely not metal.

>> the bad thing about ethanol and
>> acetone in gas is the low viscosities which will cause
>> damage to the
>> fuel pumps.

> Holy mackerel. Where on earth did you get that one from?
>
> Ethanol has over TWICE the viscosity of gasoline. Look it
> up.
>
> You are grossly misleading readers of this group with your
> astonishing
> ignorance.

Maybe the guy just made an honest mistake. I realize you
never make honest mistakes, but...

;-)

Old December 7th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Elle" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote i
> Someone wrote
>>> gasoline is a solvent itself!!!

>> Gasoline is a solvent, yes. A solvent which the fuel
>> system is
>> /specifically designed for/. The fuel system is /not/
>> designed for acetone.
>>
>> And have you ever noticed how gas can go in plastic
>> containers, but acetone
>> is stored in /metal/ containers? Ever wondered why?

> The typical nail polish remover is acetone. It's sold in
> some kind of plastic bottle. Definitely not metal.

That's true. The typical nail-polish remover appears to be between 60%
and 70% acetone according to various MSDS's I just looked at. And I have
in front of me right now a jar of my wife's Wal-Mart "Equate" remover,
the kind that is impregnated in a sponge. The container is HDPE, which
acetone doesn't harm.

Now that I'm digging deeper, it appears the primary reason pure acetone
is usually in metal containers is acetone's volatility. Plastic
containers are not 100% gas-tight, so there would be a greater rate of
evaporation of the acetone over time compared to metal containers.

Still, the sort of containers nail polish removers are packed in are
/meant/ to be used with acetone. Car fuel systems and their polymers are
/not/ meant to be used with acetone. Car fuel systems and their polymers
are chosen for use with gasoline, ethanol and the various additives.

>>> the bad thing about ethanol and
>>> acetone in gas is the low viscosities which will cause
>>> damage to the
>>> fuel pumps.

>> Holy mackerel. Where on earth did you get that one from?
>>
>> Ethanol has over TWICE the viscosity of gasoline. Look it
>> up.
>>
>> You are grossly misleading readers of this group with your
>> astonishing
>> ignorance.

> Maybe the guy just made an honest mistake. I realize you
> never make honest mistakes, but...
>
> ;-)

Nah, I just make dishonest mistakes.

I'd let up, but this guy has been back several times peddling his
misinformation. You'd think that, this deep into it, he would have made
sure he wasn't making more mistakes and outlandish claims, but he
hasn't.

Old December 7th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

If somebody comes on one this board and claim he's a defender of
truth, then i'd say i am God!

Have you ever noticed that pure acetone comes in a 16 oz plastic
bottle at CVS?

Old January 2nd 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Mike Smith

Elle wrote:
> "Tegger" > wrote i
> Someone wrote
>>> gasoline is a solvent itself!!!

>> Gasoline is a solvent, yes. A solvent which the fuel
>> system is
>> /specifically designed for/. The fuel system is /not/
>> designed for acetone.
>>
>> And have you ever noticed how gas can go in plastic
>> containers, but acetone
>> is stored in /metal/ containers? Ever wondered why?

> The typical nail polish remover is acetone. It's sold in
> some kind of plastic bottle. Definitely not metal.

Glass, I believe.
--
Mike S