Ion Front Alignment

Old January 29th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
teem

Default Ion Front Alignment

Just had my tires rotated & a front end alignment & a balace on all 4
tires,on the way home.the steering STILL felt like it was drifting off
to the drivers side,just as it was before.Should i worry about it?.Had
the work done at a Firestone,really think I should call tomorrow &
tell them.Or is that the way Saturns steer?.This shouldn'y be a
problem.
Old January 29th 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_6_]

I severely mistrust wheel alignments. Just because they slap a gauge on the
wheels and make an adjustment dosn't mean it is right. did you only have a 2
wheel alignment or a 4 wheel done? The 4 wheel is definitely recomended,
especially for independant rear wheel suspensions.

There could be a suspension problem that won't show when the car is just
sitting there. Best to jack up the car (both fronts or both rears off the
ground), remove the wheels and take a pry bar between the hub and frame.
Stress it in all directions and look for any play between bushings, joints
and frame. I did this with my '01 lw300 and found that the rear trailing arm
bushings to frame were very soggy.

Old January 29th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Gyzmologist[_2_]

teem wrote:
> Just had my tires rotated & a front end alignment & a balace on all 4
> tires,on the way home.the steering STILL felt like it was drifting off
> to the drivers side,just as it was before.Should i worry about it?.Had
> the work done at a Firestone,really think I should call tomorrow &
> tell them.Or is that the way Saturns steer?.This shouldn'y be a
> problem.

Firestone is a red flag for me. The reason the better shops charge more
is because it costs more to properly maintain equipment, and to have
experienced technicians. It could be Firestone's equipment was out of
calibration, the technician didn't set up correctly, the rear wheels are
out of alignment, a left brake is dragging, left suspension sagging, or
weight distribution (obese driver). If they did a front-to-rear tire
rotation it could be a tire.

--
Gyz

If a man is speaking in the middle of the forest and there is no woman
around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Old January 30th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
oppie

"Gyzmologist" > wrote in message
> teem wrote:
>> Just had my tires rotated & a front end alignment & a balace on all 4
>> tires,on the way home.the steering STILL felt like it was drifting off
>> to the drivers side,just as it was before.Should i worry about it?.Had
>> the work done at a Firestone,really think I should call tomorrow &
>> tell them.Or is that the way Saturns steer?.This shouldn'y be a
>> problem.

> Firestone is a red flag for me. The reason the better shops charge more is
> because it costs more to properly maintain equipment, and to have
> experienced technicians. It could be Firestone's equipment was out of
> calibration, the technician didn't set up correctly, the rear wheels are
> out of alignment, a left brake is dragging, left suspension sagging, or
> weight distribution (obese driver). If they did a front-to-rear tire
> rotation it could be a tire.

You can have some of the best equipment but if the tech is careless or not
properly trained, the result is bad.

Old January 31st 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
teem

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 02:58:43 GMT, "oppie" > wrote:

>"Gyzmologist" > wrote in message
>> teem wrote:
>>> Just had my tires rotated & a front end alignment & a balace on all 4
>>> tires,on the way home.the steering STILL felt like it was drifting off
>>> to the drivers side,just as it was before.Should i worry about it?.Had
>>> the work done at a Firestone,really think I should call tomorrow &
>>> tell them.Or is that the way Saturns steer?.This shouldn'y be a
>>> problem.

>> Firestone is a red flag for me. The reason the better shops charge more is
>> because it costs more to properly maintain equipment, and to have
>> experienced technicians. It could be Firestone's equipment was out of
>> calibration, the technician didn't set up correctly, the rear wheels are
>> out of alignment, a left brake is dragging, left suspension sagging, or
>> weight distribution (obese driver). If they did a front-to-rear tire
>> rotation it could be a tire.
>>

>You can have some of the best equipment but if the tech is careless or not
>properly trained, the result is bad.

Thanks Gents,one would think most repair shops have decent
equipment,I'm not saying Firestones the best,it was handy & the past
work they;ve done was to my liking,that's interesting point on the
tire wear/rotation-to give it the same pull after the work.I want to
aviod Saturns flat rate jazz,I have no warrenty on that area of the
Ion.
Old February 1st 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_6_]

"teem" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 02:58:43 GMT, "oppie" > wrote:

>>> Firestone is a red flag for me. The reason the better shops charge more
>>> is
>>> because it costs more to properly maintain equipment, and to have
>>> experienced technicians. It could be Firestone's equipment was out of
>>> calibration, the technician didn't set up correctly, the rear wheels are
>>> out of alignment, a left brake is dragging, left suspension sagging, or
>>> weight distribution (obese driver). If they did a front-to-rear tire
>>> rotation it could be a tire.
>>>

>>You can have some of the best equipment but if the tech is careless or not
>>properly trained, the result is bad.
>>

> Thanks Gents,one would think most repair shops have decent
> equipment,I'm not saying Firestones the best,it was handy & the past
> work they;ve done was to my liking,that's interesting point on the
> tire wear/rotation-to give it the same pull after the work.I want to
> aviod Saturns flat rate jazz,I have no warrenty on that area of the
> Ion.

I probably should have asked before, but did you bring the car back to
Firestone and complain about the drifting? Some shops are just into doing
whatever is on the work-order and not going past that at all - like
inspecting struts and joints before starting the alignment. They figure that
why spend the time, if there is another problem, the alignment should show
it up or the customer will be back with a complaint... in which case, then
they will take a closer look.

Old February 2nd 08, 06:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Gyzmologist[_2_]

somebody wrote:

> They covered the tire cost, hardly a bargin given the hours spent
> changing tires, getting out to wife's work, etc.
>
> Are there any chains that are any good?

Snow chains are good if you live in a cold climate.

Old February 8th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
bo peep

On Jan 31, 5:55*pm, somebody > wrote:
> Are there any chains that are any good?

Check your owner's manual - it says that chains should not be used on
an Ion

Front Sway Bar and Alignment G. Mack Mazda 3 June 10th 07 08:47 PM
Front end alignment - what are you paying? Scott C BMW 3 May 26th 06 05:16 PM
Front end alignment noneyabusiness Jeep 4 March 1st 06 02:14 AM
Front End Alignment Joe Carroll Jeep 20 August 22nd 05 09:54 PM
95 front end alignment    [email protected] Ford Mustang 0 June 21st 05 11:43 PM