Ignition Stuck! - 1995 Civic

Old January 8th 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default Ignition Stuck! - 1995 Civic

On Jan 7, 9:58 pm, jim beam > wrote:
> wrote:
> >> whoever replaced your ignition didn't do a complete job. there are a
> >> couple of interlock mechanisms built into the barrel and its housing.
> >> if the lock was forced, chances are, one of these interlocks was
> >> damaged. full repair in this situation requires either careful
> >> strip-down and examination of the entire mechanism, including the
> >> interlocks, and/or replacing the housing. you can often get these parts
> >> from a junkyard and save a lot of money as they can be expensive new.

> > Interesting... but, any idea why it suddenly stopped working 4 mo
> > later? The ignition was replaced 4 mo and I've had no problems until
> > yesterday morning.

> what was damaged is now broken. still need to get it fixed...

I'm not very knowledgeable about some of these terms. Sounds like I
don't need a new cylinder (which was replaced 4 mo ago), but perhaps a
new barrel and/or housing. Is this correct? A mechanic is looking at
my car now - just want to make sure he's not charging me for items I
don't need... Thanks again for the help.
Old January 8th 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

wrote:
> On Jan 7, 9:58 pm, jim beam > wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> Interesting... but, any idea why it suddenly stopped working 4 mo
>>> later? The ignition was replaced 4 mo and I've had no problems until
>>> yesterday morning.

>> what was damaged is now broken. still need to get it fixed...

> I'm not very knowledgeable about some of these terms. Sounds like I
> don't need a new cylinder (which was replaced 4 mo ago),

probably not, but be aware that if something is damaged, the cylinder
could also be damaged now. it's just a soft die-casting.

> but perhaps a
> new barrel and/or housing. Is this correct?

i'd say look at the housing first. there's a trick to getting the
barrel out in the first place - you need the key and there's a pin
located in a place you can't readily see - need to insert and twist key
to be able to push pin and remove cylinder. you can probably get the
cylinder out/in without knowing this, but the barrel mechanism could be
damaged in the process.

> A mechanic is looking at
> my car now - just want to make sure he's not charging me for items I
> don't need... Thanks again for the help.

the "safe" bet is to replace the housing and the whole locking
mechanism, even though it's a lot more expensive. if he has the honda
manual, the instructions on the locking mechanism and how to disassemble
are in the back of the section on the electrical system, not the
steering column section.

this stuff is real important to have working right - believe me, you
really don't want the steering lock mechanism to suddenly malfunction
when you're driving.

ignition key stuck!! [email protected] VW water cooled 0 November 19th 06 04:58 PM
Key Getting Stuck in Ignition [email protected] Honda 4 August 25th 06 10:01 PM
key stuck in ignition CHUCK Corvette 13 April 8th 06 10:03 PM
Plymouth Grand Voyager ignition Key stuck in ignition dbesing Chrysler 1 December 19th 05 12:59 PM
Stuck ignition key Alf Loizeaux Mazda 4 October 7th 05 12:13 AM