Is my 2004 Civic's battery almost dead already?

Old January 2nd 08, 04:32 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
High Tech Misfit

Default Is my 2004 Civic's battery almost dead already?

My 2004 Civic started up fine in the bitter cold this morning, albeit with
some expected slow cranking. I did a quick errand and returned home. 2
hours later, I get in the car to go out again... but now it won't start. It
cranks but does not want to fire up. I even tried the procedure that
involves holding the gas pedal down while cranking for 15 seconds, but
nothing.

Based on what I have read here recently, I guess it's not unusual for a
4-year old car to have its original battery fail this soon. My '93 Accord's
original battery lasted almost 8 years, but its first replacement (a Sears
DieHard) lasted 4 years.

I have to admit that I use the remote keyless entry religiously, and a
strange incident happened briefly the other day in the parking lot of a
local shopping center. When I went to remotely unlock the car, it beeped as
if I was pressing the lock button a second time. The issue went away when I
got home and did not return.

So is it not unusual for a 4-year old original battery to fail, and could
that unexpected unlocking beep have been a warning sign?
Old January 2nd 08, 04:33 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

High Tech Misfit wrote:
> My 2004 Civic started up fine in the bitter cold this morning, albeit with
> some expected slow cranking. I did a quick errand and returned home. 2
> hours later, I get in the car to go out again... but now it won't start. It
> cranks but does not want to fire up. I even tried the procedure that
> involves holding the gas pedal down while cranking for 15 seconds, but
> nothing.

if it's cranking, it's not a battery problem. run injector cleaner
through it and maybe get a new set of plugs. report back accordingly.

Old January 2nd 08, 04:45 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

High Tech Misfit wrote:
> My 2004 Civic started up fine in the bitter cold this morning, albeit with
> some expected slow cranking. I did a quick errand and returned home. 2
> hours later, I get in the car to go out again... but now it won't start. It
> cranks but does not want to fire up. I even tried the procedure that
> involves holding the gas pedal down while cranking for 15 seconds, but
> nothing.
>
> Based on what I have read here recently, I guess it's not unusual for a
> 4-year old car to have its original battery fail this soon. My '93 Accord's
> original battery lasted almost 8 years, but its first replacement (a Sears
> DieHard) lasted 4 years.
>
> I have to admit that I use the remote keyless entry religiously, and a
> strange incident happened briefly the other day in the parking lot of a
> local shopping center. When I went to remotely unlock the car, it beeped as
> if I was pressing the lock button a second time. The issue went away when I
> got home and did not return.
>
> So is it not unusual for a 4-year old original battery to fail, and could
> that unexpected unlocking beep have been a warning sign?

---------------------

Your location is the most important bit of info. If you're in TEXAS,
your troubles may be normal (replace battery).

Did you notice if the immobilizer icon was flashing on the dash? there's
a TSB that mentions batteries with one failing cell. The immobilizer
stops working when voltage gets a bit low. Have the battery load-tested
at a real battery shop.

'Curly'
Old January 2nd 08, 04:45 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

The first two batteries for my 1991 Civic each died at about
four years. The car was driven almost exclusively in the
northern U.S. for the whole time. I accidentally ran each of
the first two batteries down to 'dead' a few times. This
reduces battery life notably, from my reading.

But say, you're pretty experienced, right? Go get a
multimeter and see what the battery voltage (car not
running) is. Anything below say 12.3 volts, and I'd say you
have confirmed it's time for a new battery.

"High Tech Misfit" > wrote

Old January 2nd 08, 04:53 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
High Tech Misfit

Elle wrote:

> The first two batteries for my 1991 Civic each died at about
> four years. The car was driven almost exclusively in the
> northern U.S. for the whole time. I accidentally ran each of
> the first two batteries down to 'dead' a few times. This
> reduces battery life notably, from my reading.

I'm in Canada (Ottawa to be exact) and it is very cold right now.

> But say, you're pretty experienced, right? Go get a
> multimeter and see what the battery voltage (car not
> running) is. Anything below say 12.3 volts, and I'd say you
> have confirmed it's time for a new battery.

Well, I'm not as experienced as other DIY'ers on here; I'm not even a DIY'er
myself. Most of my contributions to these NG's are based on past knowledge
from reading them for years.

I just checked the indicator on the battery itself, and I could just barely
see it lit green.

And Jim Beam, I put fuel injector cleaner in it a few weeks ago.
Old January 2nd 08, 05:12 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
newman

It may be the battery-they can do strange things when they are going bad.

Before doing anything drastic, check for some simple causes such as loose
and or corroded battery cables.

Autozone can check your battery, or Sears, Walwart etc. No charge usually.

Old January 2nd 08, 05:15 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
High Tech Misfit

High Tech Misfit wrote:

> Elle wrote:
>
>> The first two batteries for my 1991 Civic each died at about
>> four years. The car was driven almost exclusively in the
>> northern U.S. for the whole time. I accidentally ran each of
>> the first two batteries down to 'dead' a few times. This
>> reduces battery life notably, from my reading.
>>

> I'm in Canada (Ottawa to be exact) and it is very cold right now.
>
>> But say, you're pretty experienced, right? Go get a
>> multimeter and see what the battery voltage (car not
>> running) is. Anything below say 12.3 volts, and I'd say you
>> have confirmed it's time for a new battery.

> Well, I'm not as experienced as other DIY'ers on here; I'm not even a DIY'er
> myself. Most of my contributions to these NG's are based on past knowledge
> from reading them for years.
>
> I just checked the indicator on the battery itself, and I could just barely
> see it lit green.
>
> And Jim Beam, I put fuel injector cleaner in it a few weeks ago.

I just called Honda roadside assistance (part of my extended warranty), and
even the rep said it's likely not the battery. It will be towed to the
dealer in a bit. I'll report back with the verdict.

The car currently has 65,000km (about 40,000 miles) on it.

Thanks for the advice so far.
Old January 2nd 08, 11:29 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
High Tech Misfit

Well, it turned out to be a flooded engine. :-/ Dealer cleaned the spark
plugs and changed the oil (it was due for an oil change anyway).

Thanks again for the responses.
Old January 2nd 08, 11:54 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Jeff[_3_]

High Tech Misfit wrote:
> Well, it turned out to be a flooded engine. :-/ Dealer cleaned the spark
> plugs and changed the oil (it was due for an oil change anyway).
>
> Thanks again for the responses.

Oh gee.

I knew a few people who had a flooded engine after hurricane Bob years
ago. They need more than spark plugs cleaned and new oil (I was smart
enough to move my car inland away from the shore of the island I was on
[Cape Cod]).

Jeff
Old January 3rd 08, 01:30 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

High Tech Misfit wrote:
> Well, it turned out to be a flooded engine. :-/ Dealer cleaned the spark
> plugs and changed the oil (it was due for an oil change anyway).
>
> Thanks again for the responses.

change the plugs anyway. and run more injector cleaner through it.

Dead Battery? TomC Honda 4 May 16th 07 12:04 PM
Help please with dead battery [email protected] Mazda 4 February 18th 07 12:37 AM
dead battery [email protected] Technology 35 September 5th 06 11:07 PM
1997 SC2 Completely Dead, No Power, Not Dead Battery getjer1 Saturn 10 November 18th 05 04:05 AM
When The Battery Light Comes On Does This Mean The Battery Is Going Dead? John Saturn 10 August 14th 04 01:25 AM