2002 SC2 vs 2007 ION.2 compare

Old June 15th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Default 2002 SC2 vs 2007 ION.2 compare

I have been driving a brand new 2007 ION.2 (w/15" alloys) for the last 4
days now. I am comparing it to my '02 SC2 in consideration to trade up. My
SC2 feels quite faster than the ION although the ION is much smoother. When
going pedal to the metal, my Sc2 (w/ 64K mi) will really take off, the ION
seems lethargic in comparison.

Handling via the SC2's power assist rack and pinion vs the ION's
elctro-mechanical steering is apples and oranges too. I have to admit that I
do have a front end strut bar and BF Goodrich Traction TA 195/15 's on the
SC so that would problably make all the difference in the world as far as
handling. Once I got used to the stock ION's suspension and steering, which
felt like it has a 1 second delay in reaction time I found it to be very
able in dry and especially rainy wet roads.

I would assume that if I were to add a front strut bar and upgrade the tires
as well as add in a K&N drop-in filter and mod the stock intake as I have on
my SC, handling and performance would greatly improve? Saturn Motorsports
has a nice strut bar for under $100. The radio in the ION doesnt sound as
good as the SC, but I love the layout. I want a bigger car but dont want to
give up on too much performance nor do I want to go crazy with mods. I may
get either auto or manual, dunno yet.

My SC is already 5 yrs old and still in great shape, it has plenty of equity
before it gets too high mileage, as this is the last chance to get the last
Spring Hill original and the '07 2.2 has been reworked for '07, I am
thinking the time may be right. Whaddya ppl think about my new project car
idea?

Old June 16th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
bo peep

On Jun 14, 6:20 pm, "marx404" > wrote:
> I want a bigger car but dont want to
> give up on too much performance nor do I want to go crazy with mods.

Another option - get the '07 Ion, but get the 2.4 model. The steering
is *much* better, and it has an extra 30 or so horses, which makes a
big difference.

Old June 16th 07, 12:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

I agree, but you can only get that engine option with level 3, which only
comes with either leather or Velour, which in the deep south gets too hot, I
hate velour seats and already have leather which I am geting tired of caring
for. I like the ION.2 cloth seats best, wish they were a little better
quality cloth, but they are just fine for me. The 2.2 has much better torque
to HP ratio anyways, 2.2 = 145 hp, 2.4 = 170 hp, but less torque and both
are limited by the 6500rpm cap the same. My main want this time is a manual
drive 2.2.

Old June 16th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

In article >,
says...
<snip>
> I would assume that if I were to add a front strut bar and upgrade the tires
> as well as add in a K&N drop-in filter and mod the stock intake as I have on
> my SC, handling and performance would greatly improve? Saturn Motorsports
> has a nice strut bar for under $100. The radio in the ION doesnt sound as
> good as the SC, but I love the layout. I want a bigger car but dont want to
> give up on too much performance nor do I want to go crazy with mods. I may
> get either auto or manual, dunno yet.

K&N's do a nice job of destroying MAF sensors. The stock air filters
already flow more air than engines demand.

> My SC is already 5 yrs old and still in great shape, it has plenty of equity
> before it gets too high mileage, as this is the last chance to get the last
> Spring Hill original and the '07 2.2 has been reworked for '07, I am
> thinking the time may be right. Whaddya ppl think about my new project car
> idea?

The fate of the US auto workers is already sealed. If by chance "you"
buying an ION would keep them working I would say go for it... At this
rate you wont be able to buy anything US made or owned. I'd say wait and
see how the 5dr Astra will come out and wait and see if it will be made
over here anytime soon...

anyway g2g
Old June 16th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
bo peep

On Jun 16, 5:28 am, "marx404" > wrote:
> The 2.2 has much better torque
> to HP ratio anyways, 2.2 = 145 hp, 2.4 = 170 hp, but less torque

That's incorrect - the 2.2 has 150ftlbs @ 4,200rpm, while the 2.4 has
164 @ 4800. I test drove the 2.2 before I got my 2.4, and the 2.4
accelerates much better than the 2.2. It feels *almost* as strong as
my '92 SC2 did. Also, the 2.4 is 175hp, not 170.

Old June 18th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

I was incorrect. Actually, according to Saturn's own specs, the 2.2L is 145
hp @ 5600 rpm, the 2.4L VVT (which is only available in the ION.3 Enhanced
Performance pkg) is 175 hp @ 6200 rpm.

--
marx404

Compare ''01 M3 to '99 Porsche 911 Geo BMW 0 September 3rd 06 02:35 AM
Compare ''01 M3 to '99 Porsche 911 E Brown BMW 0 September 2nd 06 09:01 AM
Compare ''01 M3 to '99 Porsche 911 Jim[_11_] BMW 0 September 2nd 06 02:11 AM
Miata Mx5 - BMW Z4 Compare AM BMW 55 July 3rd 06 06:48 PM
2005 Jetta GL & GLS compare to MKV amty VW water cooled 5 October 1st 04 12:27 AM