How new a DOHC motor will easily replace the existing 96 DOHC?

Old May 31st 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
j.polley

Default How new a DOHC motor will easily replace the existing 96 DOHC?

How new a DOHC motor will easily replace the existing 96 DOHC in my SC-2?

My 96 Sc2, was just recently promoted to not being my daily driver. The
car is great, served me well. Even though I've probably been too fussy
about replacing parts it is still showing it's age, Now that I don't
need to drive it every day, I can give major item loving care it needs.
It has 189K on it, the automatic trans seems as good as new, however,
the motor is showing signs of wear. When replacing the motor, I'm
hoping to find a good used motor. However most of the used motors I'm
seeing at wrecking yards have the expected mileage for their age. So
how new can i go in model years and still get a motor which will work?

Thanks

Jim
Old May 31st 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Kevin

j.polley wrote:
> How new a DOHC motor will easily replace the existing 96 DOHC in my SC-2?

'97.

That is the simple answer.

The more complex answer is '98. The fuel rail is different.

--
Kevin M. Keller
Director, News & Promotions
Old May 31st 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Kevin

Doug Miller wrote:

> Right, and why replace instead of rebuild/recondition?

because often you can get a low mileage used motor for less than it
would cost to rebuild.

--
Kevin M. Keller
Director, News & Promotions
Old May 31st 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article k.net>, Kevin > wrote:
>Doug Miller wrote:
>
>> Right, and why replace instead of rebuild/recondition?
>>

>because often you can get a low mileage used motor for less than it
>would cost to rebuild.

Guess you missed the part where he said he's having trouble finding
low-mileage used motors.

--
Regards,

Old May 31st 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Lane

I have found several low-mileage used motors on eBay for a very good price.

Information on parts interchangeability can be found he
http://www.saturnspot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19927

A rebuild is almost never worth it unless you're doing it yourself to learn,
or enjoy it as a hobby. It is a minimum of $1000 in parts and machining in
addition to all your removal/assembly/installation labor. The last motor I
bought on eBay was $200 and had 19k miles on it.

As asked by another poster - exactly what is wrong with the current motor?

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

Old June 1st 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
j.polley

Thanks for the advice and the link - It will be helpful, when I start on
this project.

It's burning quite a bit of oil. Approx. a qt per 500 - 600 miles. Not
exactly sure on the exact amount. If I drive it 2+ weeks (400 - 700
miles) it will need a quart. I'm not seeing any leakage either under
the car, nor in the engine compartment. I'm not seeing smoke when I'm
driving, idling or pulling away from stoplights. But on startup after
sitting overnight I get quite a bit of smoke, enough to be able to see
it drift by me as I back out of the driveway.

This may be motor mount related, but recently I have been feeling a
noticeable shake when idling in drive. If I put it in park or neutral
then things smooth out.

Thanks again

Jim

Old June 1st 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

In article <ZOM7i.142245$_c5.51377@attbi_s22>,
says...
> Thanks for the advice and the link - It will be helpful, when I start on
> this project.
>
> It's burning quite a bit of oil. Approx. a qt per 500 - 600 miles. Not
> exactly sure on the exact amount. If I drive it 2+ weeks (400 - 700
> miles) it will need a quart. I'm not seeing any leakage either under
> the car, nor in the engine compartment. I'm not seeing smoke when I'm
> driving, idling or pulling away from stoplights. But on startup after
> sitting overnight I get quite a bit of smoke, enough to be able to see
> it drift by me as I back out of the driveway.
>
> This may be motor mount related, but recently I have been feeling a
> noticeable shake when idling in drive. If I put it in park or neutral
> then things smooth out.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Jim

This was what I thought you were going to say! You're motor is likely
still good. You just have stuck oil control rings. You need to do a
piston soak to unstick them. The odds of getting your oil consuption
under control is pretty good.

Read this thread
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23676
You can try MMO, Seafoam, or GM top engine cleaner for this.

You should also do compression tests to see where you are before and
after the soak.

Far easier and cheaper than replacing the engine!

Old June 4th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
j.polley

I have, for years, used @ 8oz of MMO in the crankcase a week or so
before an oil change. I had not thought of using MMO or Seafoam in
this way.

Thanks

Jim

98 neon r/t dohc shumi2 Dodge 3 February 12th 07 12:53 AM
LF 95 Neon dohc sloan Technology 0 October 19th 05 11:54 PM
95 SL2 DOHC NOx failure Bob Saturn 1 June 8th 05 12:39 AM
Real benefits of DOHC Masospaghetti Technology 35 April 9th 05 03:30 PM
GM 3.4L DOHC engine-1995 Mr. Smith Technology 0 January 9th 05 11:05 PM