Chooper landing in street

Old August 4th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
Mike T.

Default Chooper landing in street

> What I got from reading the the piece is that he wasn't specifically
> allowed to do anything of the sort,

Then you didn't read the rules someone else posted later. The pilot was
specifically allowed to do what he did. -Dave

Old August 4th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
Mike T.

> Visual inspection does the job.

The neighborhood we're talking about, it's not like you can just look out
your window and see into the neighbor's yard.

> There are other people in the world besides Tommy Lee. Maybe there
> were even other people in Tommy Lee's neighborhood.

The neighborhood we're talking about, I guarantee you there is very little
traffic, and NO children ever play in the street.

> Right, the restriction on landing helicopters in public streets is
> meant to save idiots such as yourself.

There is no such restriction. In fact, what the pilot did is specifically
permitted, making me think that the charges against him are trumped up. Not
that he won't get ****ed, probably, but it's sad to know that you can go to
jail for following the rules.

> If your yard got trashed with flying debris because of an unauthorized
> helicopter landing, what would you do?

Yeah, like there's any debris on THAT particular road. The local residents
would be up in arms if they found so much as a chewing gum wrapper on the
street. -Dave

Old August 4th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
Larry Bud

Mike T. wrote:

> > What I got from reading the the piece is that he wasn't specifically
> > allowed to do anything of the sort,
> >

> Then you didn't read the rules someone else posted later. The pilot was
> specifically allowed to do what he did. -Dave

Ridiculous.

91.119
(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums
prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is
conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In
addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any
routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the
Administrator.

You honestly think landing a helicopter in a public street is without
hazard to persons or property?

91.13
a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may
operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger
the life or property of another.

Not to mention the numerous local laws which have been broken.

Old August 4th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
Mike T.

> You honestly think landing a helicopter in a public street is without
> hazard to persons or property?

If done properly, HECK YES. The rules don't forbid it outright, they just
state that you should be careful in doing so. Like, codified common sense.

> Not to mention the numerous local laws which have been broken.

I've never heard of local laws which mention helicopters specifically. And
it would be hard to shoe-horn one of the general statutes to cover the
situation, considering that the nearest property owner requested the
pick-up. -Dave

Old August 4th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
John F. Carr

In article ews.net>,
Mike T. > wrote:
>> You honestly think landing a helicopter in a public street is without
>> hazard to persons or property?
>>

>If done properly, HECK YES. The rules don't forbid it outright, they just
>state that you should be careful in doing so. Like, codified common sense.
>
>> Not to mention the numerous local laws which have been broken.

>I've never heard of local laws which mention helicopters specifically.

I have. Typically somebody complains that his neighbor's
helicopter is annoying and the town responds by banning
helicopter landings.

--
John Carr )
Old August 4th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
Larry Bud

Mike T. wrote:
> > You honestly think landing a helicopter in a public street is without
> > hazard to persons or property?
> >

> If done properly, HECK YES. The rules don't forbid it outright, they just
> state that you should be careful in doing so. Like, codified common sense.

This has to be one of the more asinine views I've seen, barring our
local nutjob, in this forum. The fact that he's landing in a public
street is already hazardous.

> > Not to mention the numerous local laws which have been broken.

> I've never heard of local laws which mention helicopters specifically. And
> it would be hard to shoe-horn one of the general statutes to cover the
> situation, considering that the nearest property owner requested the
> pick-up. -Dave

Every noise ordinance alone would be broken.

Here you go, "Helicopter Landing Authorization Form" for California

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/planning/ae...s/DOA-0204.pdf

And

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/planning/ae...0_2b_part2.pdf

I mean, you have to be nuts to think there aren't rules for landing a
helicopter.

Old August 4th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
Larry Bud

> > But if you are the passenger, you're going to have to
> > get close to it shortly after landing. I'm betting Tommy used all due
> > caution in approaching and boarding the bird that picked him up.
> >
> > This had to be a case of a jealous neighbor tattling or something.

> If your yard got trashed with flying debris because of an unauthorized
> helicopter landing, what would you do?

Let alone debris from trees, patio umbrellas being tossed around like
javelins, etc.

Old August 4th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
Mike T.

>>> Not to mention the numerous local laws which have been broken.
>>
>>I've never heard of local laws which mention helicopters specifically.

> I have. Typically somebody complains that his neighbor's
> helicopter is annoying and the town responds by banning
> helicopter landings.

That's why they say location, location, location. Buy somewhere that the
neighbors aren't so anal, and be sure to buy 20 acres minimum, with a 400
foot (or so) setback, minimum. -Dave

Old August 4th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
Mike T.

> Every noise ordinance alone would be broken.

Every night (often after midnight) I've got modded motorcycles driving
through my neighborhood, and some of them are MUCH louder than any
helicopter. I don't see the cops throwing someone in jail for 18 months for
driving a noisy motorcycle, so why the **** would they bother to press the
noise issue with a helicopter landing? -Dave

Old August 4th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road
[email protected][_1_]

Mike T. wrote:

> > What I got from reading the the piece is that he wasn't specifically
> > allowed to do anything of the sort,
> >

> Then you didn't read the rules someone else posted later.

yes I did. He violated them. I think you read them and didn't
understand them.

> The pilot was specifically allowed to do what he did. -Dave

This should be interesting.... Show us where he is "specifically"
allowed to land on a public street without any type of permits.

If you think a helicopter pilot can simply choose to land on an
automobile right of way whenever he chooses, as long as he does it
safely, you are wrong in the extreme.