Best looking Chryslers?

Old August 4th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lloyd[_2_]

Default Best looking Chryslers?

What do you think are the best looking Chryslers since 1965? (OK, I
picked that date since I was 15 that year and started paying attention
to cars.)

Mine:

Dodge -- 66 Charger (runner-up: 98 Intrepid)
Plymouth -- 67 Fury (runner-up: 67 Barracuda)
Chrysler -- 66 Imperial (runner-up: 98 Concorde)

overall -- 66 Charger

OK, I have to expand this to other makes:

Ford -- 68 Torino GT
Mercury -- 67 Cougar
Lincoln -- 2007-8 MK X

overall -- 67 Cougar

Buick -- 66 Riviera
Cadillac -- 68 ElDorado
Chevrolet -- 67 Impala
Oldsmobile -- 66 Toronado
Pontiac -- 66 Tempest/GTO

overall -- 66 Toronado
Old August 4th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
who

In article
Lloyd > wrote:

> What do you think are the best looking Chryslers since 1965? (OK, I
> picked that date since I was 15 that year and started paying attention
> to cars.)
>
> Mine:
>
> Dodge -- 66 Charger (runner-up: 98 Intrepid)
> Plymouth -- 67 Fury (runner-up: 67 Barracuda)
> Chrysler -- 66 Imperial (runner-up: 98 Concorde)
>
> overall -- 66 Charger
>
> OK, I have to expand this to other makes:
>
> Ford -- 68 Torino GT
> Mercury -- 67 Cougar
> Lincoln -- 2007-8 MK X
>
> overall -- 67 Cougar
>
> Buick -- 66 Riviera
> Cadillac -- 68 ElDorado
> Chevrolet -- 67 Impala
> Oldsmobile -- 66 Toronado
> Pontiac -- 66 Tempest/GTO
>
> overall -- 66 Toronado

No contest- the 300M has the prize IMO.
Runner up the LH Concorde.
Old August 5th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob AZ

On Aug 4, 12:05�pm, Lloyd > wrote:
> What do you think are the best looking Chryslers since 1965? (OK, I
> picked that date since I was 15 that year and started paying attention
> to cars.)

Lloyd

No contest 84-87 Fifth Avenue.

Bob AZ
Old August 5th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

although opinions vary by person, the 68 Barracuda fastback was pretty sleek
looking.

if we were to go back a few years, then the 57 fury's, belvederes and
coronet /custom royal lancer were pretty awesome with the fins on the rear.
the old 300's then too.

Old August 5th 08, 10:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

rob wrote:
> although opinions vary by person, the 68 Barracuda fastback was pretty sleek
> looking.

I prefer the '66 Charger body style, though they only made it for a
couple of years:
http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...-history.shtml

Was never crazy about the looks of the Barracuda. It looked too
pretentious, while Charger pulled off the fastback style with elegance.
Best colors: lemon yellow and robin's egg blue.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old August 5th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lloyd[_2_]

On Aug 5, 5:41 am, Bill Putney > wrote:
> rob wrote:
> > although opinions vary by person, the 68 Barracuda fastback was pretty sleek
> > looking.

> I prefer the '66 Charger body style, though they only made it for a
> couple of years:http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...odge-charger-h...
>
> Was never crazy about the looks of the Barracuda. It looked too
> pretentious, while Charger pulled off the fastback style with elegance.
> Best colors: lemon yellow and robin's egg blue.

I liked it in white myself. I still remember the first ads for it in
Car Life -- white, red interior... Cool!

Old August 6th 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Lloyd wrote:
> What do you think are the best looking Chryslers since 1965? (OK, I
> picked that date since I was 15 that year and started paying attention
> to cars.)
>
> Mine:
>
> Dodge -- 66 Charger (runner-up: 98 Intrepid)
> Plymouth -- 67 Fury (runner-up: 67 Barracuda)
> Chrysler -- 66 Imperial (runner-up: 98 Concorde)
>
> overall -- 66 Charger
>
> OK, I have to expand this to other makes:
>
> Ford -- 68 Torino GT
> Mercury -- 67 Cougar
> Lincoln -- 2007-8 MK X
>
> overall -- 67 Cougar
>
> Buick -- 66 Riviera
> Cadillac -- 68 ElDorado
> Chevrolet -- 67 Impala
> Oldsmobile -- 66 Toronado
> Pontiac -- 66 Tempest/GTO
>
> overall -- 66 Toronado

Lloyd, I find myself in the unusual state of generally agreeing with you
:-)

I think the BEST looking Chrysler ever was the 57 and 58 300 C and 300D,
personally. I'd also have to put in at least one of the 'Fuselage'
years, and sentimentally the 65 300L.

I agree that the '66-67 Dodge Charger (the fastback Charger for those
who don't immediately visualize it) is the most singularly
futuristically styled Mopar (no, make that 'full production vehicle')
EVER- but its mostly the interior that grabs me. I don't hate the
exterior like some people do, but overall I have to say the '68 Charger
is my favorite Dodge from the outside. Its odd to me that they stepped
up the exterior styling for all the b-bodies in '68, but REALLY
dumbed-down the interiors of all the Dodges and Plymouths the same year-
the first step toward the plastic and fake woodgrain of the 70s, I
guess. But even by pre-68 standards, the Charger was in a class of one.
Electroluminescent gauges and front/rear buckets with a full-length
console. Wowee.

For Plymouth, its gotta be the 71 Satellite/Roadrunner/GTX body.

And I wouldn't put ANYTHING past '73 on the list at all.

Ford- 62-66 T-birds are in a close tie. Basically still the Elwood Engel
"banana nose" styling, but modified as the years progressed (especially
since Engel moved to Chrysler in '63 and started guiding the design of
some of the favorites on the Mopar list, like the 300L and your 67 Fury).

GM- I don't really care, although I wouldn't throw an early 70s Firebird
455 SD out of the garage, nor a Buick GSX.

Old August 6th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Bob AZ wrote:
> On Aug 4, 12:05�pm, Lloyd > wrote:
>> What do you think are the best looking Chryslers since 1965? (OK, I
>> picked that date since I was 15 that year and started paying attention
>> to cars.)

> Lloyd
>
> No contest 84-87 Fifth Avenue.
>
> Bob AZ

That's not even funny... :-p

Old August 6th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Lloyd[_2_]

On Aug 6, 1:24 pm, Steve > wrote:
> Lloyd wrote:
> > What do you think are the best looking Chryslers since 1965? (OK, I
> > picked that date since I was 15 that year and started paying attention
> > to cars.)

> > Mine:

> > Dodge -- 66 Charger (runner-up: 98 Intrepid)
> > Plymouth -- 67 Fury (runner-up: 67 Barracuda)
> > Chrysler -- 66 Imperial (runner-up: 98 Concorde)

> > overall -- 66 Charger

> > OK, I have to expand this to other makes:

> > Ford -- 68 Torino GT
> > Mercury -- 67 Cougar
> > Lincoln -- 2007-8 MK X

> > overall -- 67 Cougar

> > Buick -- 66 Riviera
> > Cadillac -- 68 ElDorado
> > Chevrolet -- 67 Impala
> > Oldsmobile -- 66 Toronado
> > Pontiac -- 66 Tempest/GTO

> > overall -- 66 Toronado

> Lloyd, I find myself in the unusual state of generally agreeing with you
> :-)
>
> I think the BEST looking Chrysler ever was the 57 and 58 300 C and 300D,
> personally. I'd also have to put in at least one of the 'Fuselage'
> years, and sentimentally the 65 300L.

Those are before my time, so I can only rely on pictures for the most
part.

> I agree that the '66-67 Dodge Charger (the fastback Charger for those
> who don't immediately visualize it) is the most singularly
> futuristically styled Mopar (no, make that 'full production vehicle')
> EVER- but its mostly the interior that grabs me. I don't hate the
> exterior like some people do, but overall I have to say the '68 Charger
> is my favorite Dodge from the outside. Its odd to me that they stepped
> up the exterior styling for all the b-bodies in '68, but REALLY
> dumbed-down the interiors of all the Dodges and Plymouths the same year-
> the first step toward the plastic and fake woodgrain of the 70s, I
> guess. But even by pre-68 standards, the Charger was in a class of one.
> Electroluminescent gauges and front/rear buckets with a full-length
> console. Wowee.
>
> For Plymouth, its gotta be the 71 Satellite/Roadrunner/GTX body.

That would be my 3rd choice for Plymouth.

> And I wouldn't put ANYTHING past '73 on the list at all.
>
> Ford- 62-66 T-birds are in a close tie.

Yeah, I considered those. They'd probably be my Ford runner-up. And
speak of futuristic interiors!

A mid-late 60s Continential 4-door convertible is pretty nice too.

>Basically still the Elwood Engel
> "banana nose" styling, but modified as the years progressed (especially
> since Engel moved to Chrysler in '63 and started guiding the design of
> some of the favorites on the Mopar list, like the 300L and your 67 Fury).
>
> GM- I don't really care, although I wouldn't throw an early 70s Firebird
> 455 SD out of the garage, nor a Buick GSX.

See, I think the Firebirds were overdone -- too many spoilers and
scoops (although I must admit, in 1970, the Firebird Trans Am was a
shocking vehicle in its styling and its audacity). But for the most
part, I think GM did a better job on the B bodies in the 60s-early 70s
than the F bodies.
Old August 6th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

The 1960 300, especially the convertible, is simply the most beautiful
car I've ever seen. It's drop-dead gorgeous (of course, all the
full-size 1960 Chryslers are really nice, but it works particularly
well with the 300 grille).

The '66-67 Charger styling was... quirky. It definitely grows on you
with time, but not many people would have a good first reaction to
it. Steve's right, the interior is pssibly the nicest ever made.

ugly chryslers? D&LBusch Dodge 3 March 23rd 08 06:38 AM
"Cars" movie: any Chryslers? mudpucket Chrysler 8 June 30th 06 09:29 PM
Where are the vintage chryslers? [email protected] Chrysler 4 March 24th 05 01:27 AM