Rear Window Replacement

Old July 18th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
CWLee

Default Rear Window Replacement

I made a stupid mistake today, and failed to close the back
upper window/door on my 2000 Explorer before I backed out of
the garage. It hit part of the garage door and shattered.
Ford quotes about $650, parts and labor, to replace it.

How does that compare to what any of you have spent to have
the same thing done (replace upper glass door/window)?

--
----------
CWLee

Old July 18th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Mikepier

CWLee wrote:
> I made a stupid mistake today, and failed to close the back
> upper window/door on my 2000 Explorer before I backed out of
> the garage. It hit part of the garage door and shattered.
> Ford quotes about $650, parts and labor, to replace it.
>
> How does that compare to what any of you have spent to have
> the same thing done (replace upper glass door/window)?
>
> --
> ----------
> CWLee
> "I appreciate those who walk out from the edges with
> torches or even in the dark with their hands out in front
> of them. We need those explorers and weirdos. I am
> so grateful when I find that I am not the first." - Sally
> Amsbury.

You could probably do better if you went to an auto glass shop.

Old July 19th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

If he can, he should post price, fit and finish and satisfaction....

Privacy glass and defroster can add a premium to the pricing.

ups.com...

Old July 23rd 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
dr bob

I made that same mistake about ten years ago. Glass at that time was
"only" about $400 from Ford. I found a local place that would sell it
to me for about $150, and I got to install it. Installation wasn't a
big deal, but...

The shattering glass managed to do some scarring on the paint on the
uper rear hatch section. I ended up doing the touch-up on that
myself.

The old glass bits found their way into places where I didn't even
know there were places. I spent an hour just vacuuming little glass
bits out of eveything behind the driver's seat. Lift a carpet edge,
there was glass. I remember vacuuming a lot more glass out than there
was swinging on the rear lid. Yaers later I would still find little
glass bits when cleaning the car. Amazing!

I had a window in a rear door broken by the hostile ex-BF of a girl I
met just once. This was the fixed window in a rear door. Glass place
quoted a big number because they thought insurance was going to pay,
and also because they said they needed to take the door apart to get
the broken glass out. Door didn't need to come apart, so that saved a
bit. We negotiated for cash, and that really brought the price down a
lot more. Morals: Don't boink a girl without checking her past, and
nogotiate for cash. Two different morals...

dr bob

rear window defroster don Chrysler 1 April 11th 06 12:14 AM
Z3 Rear Window Replacement A-Friend BMW 7 December 31st 05 06:04 AM
'94 Convertable needs rear window Jeff Strickland BMW 1 August 8th 05 02:58 PM