Auto tranny reliability on non-BMWs?

Old February 19th 05, 04:53 PM
John Burns

Default Auto tranny reliability on non-BMWs?

Anyone care to comment on how reliable other makes of car's autoboxes
are after 100-150k miles? I know that many other makes share the same
boxes as BMWs but I'm curious to know how Japanese and other euro makes
compare.

There seems to be a perception that the five speed auto boxes are an
accident waiting to happen after 120-150k. Not helped by the whole
"lifetime fluid" thing. Is this a myth or near to the truth? What %age
are dying?

I had a dead ZF 4HP22 in my 635 many years ago at 150k, but that was
mainly due to lack of fluid changes by previous owners I suspect. I have
an old 525e with 182k on it's auto, I strongly suspect it's seen few
fluid changes too. But for the moment it's fine. The question is, are
the current automatics a liability?

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old February 19th 05, 06:34 PM
Erik

I also heard horror stories about the suto tranny and have read many posts
on the subject. I have a 1993 325i with an auto tranny and it is doing quite
well. It has 174k on it and runs well. My father, the previous owner changed
the fluid every 15 to20k miles. Then again, my friend who has a 92 325i also
with an auto tranny was more faithful in fluid changes and is on his third
one. I know worst case scenario, I pay $900 for a used one at bavauto.

Old February 19th 05, 09:54 PM
tech27

You didn't mention the mileage of the two cars, nor how they were driven.

My 1987 325is had 120K miles on it and the tranny was flawless before I
wrecked it (lost 2nd trying to extricate the car from deep mud during an
"emergency"). Had that fixed and it was flawless again till 2 years ago.

Old February 20th 05, 06:58 AM
Matt O'Toole

John Burns wrote:

> Anyone care to comment on how reliable other makes of car's autoboxes
> are after 100-150k miles? I know that many other makes share the same
> boxes as BMWs but I'm curious to know how Japanese and other euro
> makes compare.

IMO *all* automatic transmissions are time bombs. Some last half a million
miles or more, but there's no telling if/when they go boom. Some models are
probably better than others. Driving habits and maintenance may make a
difference too. But there's always an element of risk. This is one reason I
stick to the stick. Resale prices of high mileage cars suggest I'm not the only
one who thinks this way either -- manuals do fetch higher prices, and the
difference increases with mileage.

Matt O.

Old February 20th 05, 11:01 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Matt O'Toole > wrote:
> IMO *all* automatic transmissions are time bombs.

As is every part of a car. Nothing lasts forever.

> Some last half a million miles or more, but there's no telling if/when
> they go boom. Some models are probably better than others. Driving
> habits and maintenance may make a difference too. But there's always an
> element of risk.

As there is with a manual transmission - most will suffer weakening of the
synchromesh at the same sort of miles.

> This is one reason I stick to the stick. Resale
> prices of high mileage cars suggest I'm not the only one who thinks this
> way either -- manuals do fetch higher prices, and the difference
> increases with mileage.

This tends to be the opposite in the UK with 'luxury' cars - manuals are
rare and marked down. And even small autos will command a premium on the
secondhand market.

The thing is an auto has several clutches and these *will* wear out. Same
as any clutch. Whether regular oil changes help I've no real idea - it's
very difficult to get accurate comparisons, as someone who changes oil
more frequently than the service requirement might also be a more
sensitive driver.

My own personal experience of many different makes of auto says 150,000
miles is about it - if you must put a figure on it.
However, older purely hydraulic designs were certainly fixable by a decent
DIYer - and provided large savings as the majority of the cost of overhaul
is labour. Not sure about a modern 5 speed, though. :-)

--
*OK, so what's the speed of dark? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 20th 05, 03:13 PM
GT

"John Burns" :
> Anyone care to comment on how reliable other makes of car's autoboxes
> are after 100-150k miles? I know that many other makes share the same
> boxes as BMWs but I'm curious to know how Japanese and other euro makes
> compare.

A friend of mine had to replace twice his automatic gearbox on a 1999 or
2000 Audi A6 2.7 bi-turbo. And this happened before 100,000 kilometers!
Afterwards he sold the car and bought a new VW Touareg.

--
Best regards.
Giovanni Tarantino

Old February 21st 05, 12:57 PM

GT wrote:
> "John Burns" :
> > Anyone care to comment on how reliable other makes of car's

autoboxes
> > are after 100-150k miles? I know that many other makes share the

same
> > boxes as BMWs but I'm curious to know how Japanese and other euro

makes
> > compare.

Dunno who makes renault 'boxes but they must surely be the most
unreliable. The number being offered for sale with as spares or repair
with gearbox problems is quite astonishing.

Old February 21st 05, 07:34 PM
Alistair J Murray

John Burns wrote:

[...]

> There seems to be a perception that the five speed auto boxes are an
> accident waiting to happen after 120-150k. Not helped by the whole
> "lifetime fluid" thing. Is this a myth or near to the truth? What %age
> are dying?

My 190k '94 E38 740's tranny seems to be thriving on it's lifetime fill...

Trade Oil in €
Old February 21st 05, 09:16 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com>,
> wrote:
> Dunno who makes renault 'boxes but they must surely be the most
> unreliable.

They are one of the few makers that make their own - at least for some
models. And you're right. ;-)

> The number being offered for sale with as spares or repair
> with gearbox problems is quite astonishing.

Ford CVTs - perhaps all CVTs - aren't far behind. A pal searched the UK
for a secondhand one for a '97, and had no luck. The cost of a factory
exchange one was the value of the car - even although it was otherwise in
good nick.

--
*Letting a cat out of the bag is easier than putting it back in *

Old February 22nd 05, 01:15 AM
Dori A Schmetterling

My Merc W124 230E auto gearbox went well for 120 000 miles, when it (the
car) was sold. I knew the guy/s who had it -- didn't tell of any problems
thereafter.

DAS

---

Chevy 1 ton auto tranny problem Steve m... Technology 1 January 1st 05 01:12 AM
302 V8 upgrade on six w/ auto tranny 1969 Mustang Ford Mustang 3 November 17th 04 09:54 PM
Neon auto tranny fluid mike Chrysler 12 November 4th 04 03:55 PM
vanagon auto tranny problem Peter Reilly VW water cooled 1 October 1st 04 12:59 PM
2001 Dodge Caravan SE 41TE/41AE Tranny Reliability Michael J. Linden, N9BDF General 0 January 23rd 04 04:21 AM