Jeep wrangler and pop-up camper

Old June 9th 05, 09:55 PM
Gene Pool

Default Jeep wrangler and pop-up camper

Anyone had experience with a Jeep wrangler pulling a pop-up camper? Jeep
is a 99 4 cyl with 5 speed trans. Can I do it? Jeep will be mostly on
interstate with midwestern hills and no mountains. TIA....feel free to
reply to group or e-mail addy.

Old June 9th 05, 10:57 PM
Mike Romain

I believe your 2.5 will have no issues. Just don't lug the engine, keep
it in one lower gear than you normally would and my owners manuals both
say not to use overdrive (5th gear) when towing.

I have seen sheets that say the new TJ with the 2.4 can't handle more
than 1000 lb. Too bad.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old June 10th 05, 02:25 PM
Peter D. Hipson

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 17:57:15 -0400, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>I believe your 2.5 will have no issues. Just don't lug the engine, keep
>it in one lower gear than you normally would and my owners manuals both
>say not to use overdrive (5th gear) when towing.
>
>I have seen sheets that say the new TJ with the 2.4 can't handle more
>than 1000 lb. Too bad.

The requirements for the TJ include trailer height (a popup is ideal
in that respect), and weight. I only remember the 4-cyl specs (that's
what I had) and it was (as mentioned) about 1000 lb. Many popup
trailers are under that weight, but some are well above too. I'd
recommend you see if you can determine the weight of the doggie. Where
you are intending to drive is important too! Hills will be tougher
(lack of serious power! <g>) I personally liked the 4 cyl engine, for
my uses it had sufficient power, and got reasonable economy too.

If you can't find the weight of the trailer, you can get it weighed.
Old June 11th 05, 07:37 AM
SnoMan

"Peter D. Hipson" wrote:
>On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 17:57:15 -0400, Mike Romain
>
>wrote:
>
>>I believe your 2.5 will have no issues. Just don’t lug the

>engine, keep
>>it in one lower gear than you normally would and my owners manuals

>both
>>say not to use overdrive (5th gear) when towing.
>>
>>I have seen sheets that say the new TJ with the 2.4 can’t

>handle more
>>than 1000 lb. Too bad.
>>

>The requirements for the TJ include trailer height (a popup is ideal
>in that respect), and weight. I only remember the 4-cyl specs
>(that’s
>what I had) and it was (as mentioned) about 1000 lb. Many popup
>trailers are under that weight, but some are well above too. I’d
>recommend you see if you can determine the weight of the doggie.

Where
>you are intending to drive is important too! Hills will be tougher
>(lack of serious power! <g>) I personally liked the 4 cyl
>engine, for
>my uses it had sufficient power, and got reasonable economy too.
>
>If you can’t find the weight of the trailer, you can get it
>weighed.

A Cherokee with a 2.5L 4cyl and a 5 speed is factory rated at 2000 lbs
(wrangler should be simular) and I towed a bit over 3000 lbs with it
once 25 miles without any real problems and 1500 lbs give or take
several times. If you are planning a long trip I would keep it under
1500lbs though. I should also add, if you are running oversized
rubber, these rating will have to be lowered a good bit (depending on
tire size)

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/4X4-Jeep-w...ict123845.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=603493
Old June 11th 05, 03:49 PM
Peter D. Hipson

On 11 Jun 2005 02:37:08 -0400, SnoMan >
wrote:

>A Cherokee with a 2.5L 4cyl and a 5 speed is factory rated at 2000 lbs
>(wrangler should be simular)

Big difference between the Wrangler and a Cherokee...
Old June 11th 05, 08:35 PM
SnoMan

"Peter D. Hipson" wrote:
>On 11 Jun 2005 02:37:08 -0400, SnoMan
>
>wrote:
>

>>A Cherokee with a 2.5L 4cyl and a 5 speed is factory rated at 2000

>lbs
>>(wrangler should be simular)

>Big difference between the Wrangler and a Cherokee...

Not much except a bit shorter wheel base and the Wrangler might weigh
a bit less too. Same engine and tranny.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/4X4-Jeep-w...ict123845.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=604298
Old June 13th 05, 01:41 PM
Peter D. Hipson

On 11 Jun 2005 15:35:34 -0400, SnoMan >
wrote:

>Not much except a bit shorter wheel base and the Wrangler might weigh
>a bit less too. Same engine and tranny.

The wheelbase is substantially shorter, The weight difference is also
more than little. And, weight and wheelbase are critical factors WRT
towing trailers. Regardless, what really counts is what the maker says
is reasonable and what is not.

Old June 13th 05, 07:36 PM
SnoMan

"Peter D. Hipson" wrote:
>On 11 Jun 2005 15:35:34 -0400, SnoMan
>
>wrote:
>

>>Not much except a bit shorter wheel base and the Wrangler might

>weigh
>>a bit less too. Same engine and tranny.

>The wheelbase is substantially shorter, The weight difference is also
>more than little. And, weight and wheelbase are critical factors WRT
>towing trailers. Regardless, what really counts is what the maker

says
>is reasonable and what is not.

Wheel base is a factor in stabilty for sure (it is not that much
different because we are not talking a CJ5 here) but being that they
rate vehical differnently for towing with a differnet engine we are
dealing with the engine factor here. Again I would limit it to less
than 1500 lbs if towing for any real distance and about 1000 lbs or
less if it has a lot of long hills with curvy roads and tow at 60 mph
or less because of shorter wheelbase. Trailer brake with trailer
weights over 1000 lbs wuld be a good idea to with that wrangler if it
is hilly

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/4X4-Jeep-w...ict123845.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=605443