1990 Audi 200 Odometer not working

Old August 21st 06, 04:11 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
jamie

Default 1990 Audi 200 Odometer not working

I purchased a 1990 Audi 200 (not quattro) that has been sitting for the
past 4 years. I got it running and everything seems to be in good
working order with the exception of the odometer. What problems would
cause this and how can I remedy the situation? Any suggestions would be
extremely helpful. Thanks!

Old August 21st 06, 11:57 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony[_1_]

There is a small gear in the back of the odometer that breaks when the trip
odometer is reset while the car is moving and usually when the last two digits
are '99' on the main odometer.

Some owners who post of Audiworld have reported varying success in pulling the
instrument cluster and disassembling to get to the part. They then use glue to
fix it. Others find a working IC in a used parts (junkyard) place for $20 to $40
and replace the whole thing. Others just live with the inconvenience because
finding a working IC is rare because almost all T44s have encountered this failure.

TonyJ
former four T44s '84 - '91
current 98.5 A4 1.8TQM

Old August 23rd 06, 10:40 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Christoph Bollig

Hi,

Seems to be a very common problem. There is a little gear wheel in
their, which is placed between a small stepper motor and the odo
wheels themselves. It feels quite rubbery, don't know whether that's
the age or whether it's like this from the beginning. If the
speedometer is working but the odometer not, that's a very likely
candidate.

I replaced it with one from the scrap yard, only to get the same
failure a year later. It's a bit of a pain to take it out, so I would
recommend getting a new one. It looses one or two of its teeth, I
don't know how one would be able to fix that with glue (and it would
very likely loose more teeth later anyway).

I don't agree with the statement that it happens when the trip
odometer is reset. First of all it dis-engages the mechanism, so it
shouldn't be a problem. Nevertheless, I am sure I didn't reset the
trip odometer while driving and the second failure was witth the trip
odometer at ~360km (can't remember where it was on the first failure).

Scott Brotherton from Continental Imports (
http://www.continentalimports.com ) used to sell the gear for US$ 20
plus shipping. If anyone knows a European source, I would appreciate
it (shipping from the US is just very expensive).

If you decide to take it apart, you will need to get the needle off.
The best way is to twist it carefully counterclockwise, then it will
come off (don't try the pulling straight off some recommend). I got
this trick from Rick Borth from Overseas Speedometer (
www.speedometer.com ). If you decide not to repair it yourself, it
might be worth to get a quote from him.

There is a web page somewhere with the wiring diagram of the
speedometer. It's actually quite simple. If you can't find the web
page, I might still have a copy of it on my pc. At some stage, I made
some sound files with square waves, corresponding to different speeds
(20, 40, 60, ... km/h), hooked the speedometer up to the pc sound
output and played the sound files. That way I was able to test the
speedometer and odometer and to callibrate it at the same time. I
might still have them somewhere, let me know if you need them.

Good luck,

Christoph

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:57:37 -0500, Tony >
wrote:

> There is a small gear in the back of the odometer that breaks when the trip
> odometer is reset while the car is moving and usually when the last two digits
> are '99' on the main odometer.
>
> Some owners who post of Audiworld have reported varying success in pulling the
> instrument cluster and disassembling to get to the part. They then use glue to
> fix it. Others find a working IC in a used parts (junkyard) place for $20 to $40
> and replace the whole thing. Others just live with the inconvenience because
> finding a working IC is rare because almost all T44s have encountered this failure.
>
> TonyJ
> former four T44s '84 - '91
> current 98.5 A4 1.8TQM
>
> jamie wrote:
> > I purchased a 1990 Audi 200 (not quattro) that has been sitting for the
> > past 4 years. I got it running and everything seems to be in good
> > working order with the exception of the odometer. What problems would
> > cause this and how can I remedy the situation? Any suggestions would be
> > extremely helpful. Thanks!

OEM Audi parts catalogs for sale Joe Audi 0 March 19th 06 07:58 PM
1990 Audi 200 redstripe Audi 1 March 14th 06 02:34 AM
Audi Parts Catalogs and CD-ROMs for Sale Joe Audi 0 March 4th 06 08:21 PM
1995-1997 Audi a6 metric odometer wanted Hoa Le Audi 4 June 7th 04 03:07 PM
1990 AUDI 80 PSH Audi 2 May 18th 04 03:33 PM