caravan - sluggish acceleration after stop

Old June 10th 05, 08:42 AM
Simon

Default caravan - sluggish acceleration after stop

94 Caravan SE, auto. 18K.

Sometimes after a stop (either red light or stop sign), I step on gas, but
the car kinda refuses to go. It moves, but gain speed up intermittently, and
I can hear clunking noise from beneath. This just lasts for a few seconds,
and then gets to normal speed and go.

Strangely, it often happens at the first stop after the car was left parking
for a few hours. For example, on my way to work each morning, it always
happens at the first red light. Then, rest of the trip is mostly ok.

Any advice. Thanks.

Simon

Old June 10th 05, 09:45 PM
Bob Shuman

Is the Check/Service engine light illuminated? Which engine? Any engine
codes present? Only 18K miles on a 1194 van? This isn't making sense, so
I'll assume you meant 180K.

Although we need more info to even hazard a guess here, the "clunking" you
describe could possibly be engine backfiring through the exhaust with
unburned fuel. When were the plugs and ignition wires last replaced. If
not lately, then do it now and report results back afterward. Take care of
other routine engine maintenance items (air filter, fuel filter, PCV) at the
same time.

Good luck!

Bob

Old June 11th 05, 05:25 AM
Simon

You're right, it's 180K, sorry for the mistake.

Yes, the Check Engine light is on sometimes after driving for a long time,
but never happened together with this acceleration problem. It's the 3.3L
V6engine, I have no idea about the code thing. It's got good routine engine
services all the time, but as to plugs and ignition wires, I don't know as
the second owner for 5 years. The noise does not sound like from the engine,
it's mostly like some axles can't be turning smoothly. Could this be a
problem with transmission?

Thanks a lot.

Simon

Old June 11th 05, 02:45 PM
Bob Shuman

Turn the ignition key on-off-on-off-on and then leave on. (On is not start,
just run position) The check engine light will flash out a sequence of two
digit codes. Post the codes here. Check this group's archives for the
procedure if you do not understand as it has been posted hundreds of times
by Daniel Stern. The last time just a day or two ago.

I still think I'd replace the plugs and wires as a start. Those wires broke
down after time and shorted out causing unburned fuel to get into exhaust.
I'd still suspect that the bangs you hear are misfiring/backfiring since it
is on acceleration.

Post the codes or find the table using a simple Google search on "Chrysler
engine diagnostic codes".

Bob