Alignment Problem 95 Integra

Old June 8th 05, 10:31 PM
Nick

Default Alignment Problem 95 Integra

Hello everyone,

I had my tires changed a little over a year ago because the
inner side of the tire was worn out. When I had the tires changed I
also had an alignment done.
About a month ago I had a bubble forming on my front passenger
side of my tire and had this replaced. Seeing that the tire was less
than a year old, I opted not to replace this one. I went this
afternoon to change my oil and noticed that the same problem that I
had last year with the inner side of the tire was happening on the
tire that I did not replace. Now obviously this is again an alignment
problem, but my question is what is the likelihood that the problem
would be in the same place?
Also the car had 14" rims which came with the car and my
cousin who had the car before me replaced with 15" Acura GS-R alloy
rims. I'm also assuming that this shouldn't be a problem either. I'm
just wondering looking back at the alignment paper it shows my car
Make and Mode. Are the specifications shown on these sheets a range
for all Integras or is there a specific one for the GS-R model which
should have be used on my LS model?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Here are the results from the alignment done last year if it helps:

Left Front
Actual Before Specified Range
Camber -0.7 -0.7 -1.2 .8
Caster 0.4 0.4 0.2 2.2
Toe -0.04 -0.09 -0.04 0.04

Right Front
Actual Before Specified Range
Camber -0.7 -0.7 -1.2 .8
Caster 0.2 0.2 0.2 2.2
Toe -0.02 -0.04 -0.04 0.04

Front
Actual Before Specified Range
CrossCamber 0.0 -0.0
CrossCaster 0.2 0.2
TotalToe -0.05 -0.13 -0.08 0.08
Set Back 0 1/16°

Left Rear
Actual Before Specified Range
Camber -0.5 -0.8 -2.0 0.0
Toe 0.05 -0.04 0.02 0.08

Right Rear
Actual Before Specified Range
Camber -0.7 -0.8 -2.0 0.0
Toe 0.05 -0.02 0.02 0.08

Rear
Actual Before Specified Range
TotalToe 0.10 -0.05 0.04 0.16
Thrust Angle -0 -0

Old June 9th 05, 01:54 AM
jim beam

Nick wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I had my tires changed a little over a year ago because the
> inner side of the tire was worn out. When I had the tires changed I
> also had an alignment done.
> About a month ago I had a bubble forming on my front passenger
> side of my tire and had this replaced. Seeing that the tire was less
> than a year old, I opted not to replace this one. I went this
> afternoon to change my oil and noticed that the same problem that I
> had last year with the inner side of the tire was happening on the
> tire that I did not replace. Now obviously this is again an alignment
> problem, but my question is what is the likelihood that the problem
> would be in the same place?
> Also the car had 14" rims which came with the car and my
> cousin who had the car before me replaced with 15" Acura GS-R alloy
> rims. I'm also assuming that this shouldn't be a problem either. I'm
> just wondering looking back at the alignment paper it shows my car
> Make and Mode. Are the specifications shown on these sheets a range
> for all Integras or is there a specific one for the GS-R model which
> should have be used on my LS model?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Nick
>
> Here are the results from the alignment done last year if it helps:
>
> Left Front
> Actual Before Specified Range
> Camber -0.7 -0.7 -1.2 .8
> Caster 0.4 0.4 0.2 2.2
> Toe -0.04 -0.09 -0.04 0.04
>

> Right Front
> Actual Before Specified Range
> Camber -0.7 -0.7 -1.2 .8
> Caster 0.2 0.2 0.2 2.2
> Toe -0.02 -0.04 -0.04 0.04
>
> Front
> Actual Before Specified Range
> CrossCamber 0.0 -0.0
> CrossCaster 0.2 0.2
> TotalToe -0.05 -0.13 -0.08 0.08
> Set Back 0 1/16°
>

> Left Rear
> Actual Before Specified Range
> Camber -0.5 -0.8 -2.0 0.0
> Toe 0.05 -0.04 0.02 0.08
>

> Right Rear
> Actual Before Specified Range
> Camber -0.7 -0.8 -2.0 0.0
> Toe 0.05 -0.02 0.02 0.08
>
> Rear
> Actual Before Specified Range
> TotalToe 0.10 -0.05 0.04 0.16
> Thrust Angle -0 -0

1. not all alignment shops are any good. sure, they print a fancy
looking data sheet, but it's useless if the tech didn't place the
sensors properly.

2. wheels often have slight bends in them. a good shop will rotate
wheels so the sensors detect deviation & allow for it, but you're at the
mercy of a competent tech.

3. you can't adjust the camber or castor on an integra unless you buy
special adjustable wishbones. if stuff is bent, it needs to be bent
back. again, need a competent shop for that. the "adjustable" stuff is
just toe. toe angles are typically quoted as a range. could an
unscrupulous shop adjust to one end of the range knowing that it
accelerates wear?

personally, i like to have mine set to close to zero at the front as it
makes cornering slightly better, but it tends to wear front tires on the
inside edge.

bottom line, take it to a reputable shop with new equipment and keep
taking it back if you're not satisfied. eventually, they'll do it right
just so they stop having you waste their time.

Old June 12th 05, 02:54 PM
Nick

Thanks for the info. This shop that I had the alignment done at was
just an alignment shop and thinking that that's all they do (and being
in business for over 30 years), they should know their stuff. Now I'm
questioning of if I should even call them to have them the same
situation happen again in a year.
Do you or anybody else suggest that I take it to a Firestone
which has a lifetime alignment warranty, or should I go and take it to
an Acura dealer?

Thanks,
Nick

Old June 13th 05, 04:29 AM
Dave L

I have the Firestone lifetime alignment warranty and have gotten my money's
worth, BUT - you need to be wary.

1. They wanted to sell me new front brake rotors, since my brakes were
squeaking sometimes. Those same rotors were replaced less than a year
prior, by OEM rotors. I replaced the front pads myself - problem solved.

2. Told me I needed new brake fluid. Just had it changed by another shop
about a month earlier.

3. Wanted to change the oil - only had about 1k miles since the last oil
change. Declined and I checked it later that day. Clean and clear (Mobil
1)

4. Recommended some belts be replaced. Took it to my local shop for a 2nd
opinion. Ok, they needed replacement. Had them do it cheaper than
Firestone (don't remember the exact costs involved).

5. Said I needed to change my transmission fluid (for automatics). I drive
a 5-speed manual - no transmission fluid to replace!

Few more things, but you get the idea.

You're probably wondering why I was still taking my car there. I tell them
no need to do their "courtesy" check.

I'm not saying they are all bad, but just be careful. Also some techs will
do a better alignment than others, at the same location.

Old June 13th 05, 05:01 AM
jim beam

Dave L wrote:
<snip>
> I'm not saying they are all bad, but just be careful. Also some techs will
> do a better alignment than others, at the same location.

no kidding! had my civic's alignment done last week. was told that i
had a problem - the rear was out and it couldn't be fixed. i checked
with the tech & got him to show me what the problem was. turns out,
he'd never done a honda before and didn't know where the compensator arm
adjusters were!!! and alignment shops want you to /pay/ for this kind
of "expertise"!!!