CAI warranty voids

Old February 13th 05, 04:43 PM
Just A Guyİ

Default CAI warranty voids

I'm looking to install a cold air intake on my new 2004 V6, but I want to know the details regarding warranty voids first. Since I still have 3 yrs left on my warranty, I don't want to void it at this point over a smiple mod such as a CAI that will only add 5-6 hp anyway. Does anyone know if there is a certain brand of CAI that doesn't void the Ford factory warranty? I've been looking at those cheap $30 eBay CAIs, since they are probably the best bang for the buck, but obviously I am willing to pay much more for something that doesn't void my warranty.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Just A Guy

2004 3.9L V6
Old February 13th 05, 07:41 PM
Claud Spinks

Just A Guyİ wrote:
> I'm looking to install a cold air intake on my new 2004 V6, but I want
> to know the details regarding warranty voids first. Since I still have
> 3 yrs left on my warranty, I don't want to void it at this point over a
> smiple mod such as a CAI that will only add 5-6 hp anyway. Does anyone
> know if there is a certain brand of CAI that doesn't void the Ford
> factory warranty? I've been looking at those cheap $30 eBay CAIs, since
> they are probably the best bang for the buck, but obviously I am willing
> to pay much more for something that doesn't void my warranty.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Just A Guy
>
> 2004 3.9L V6

Installing a CAI will not void your factory warranty. Installing a CAI
probably will not net you 5-6 horsepower either (at least not by
itself.) If you want to put one on, use a bright shiny one. At least you
are "dressing" up the engine bay. Be very careful of using an oil type
filter (K & N) with your 3.8/3.9L engine. The MAF sensors are very
susceptible to causing engine knock if they get any oil on them at all.
Again, I am not saying you can't use one of these filters, just use them
exactly as the directions say. Then, if the engine knocks, you have a
good place to start looking for a problem.
Claud

Old February 13th 05, 09:37 PM
mustangjoe

from what i've heard and read CAI's are a wast of money from a
performance perspective.

Old February 13th 05, 10:02 PM
Just A Guyİ

You're probably right, but then again, there isn't much out there in mod
options for a V6 without getting into supercharging and the like. In your
opinion, what are my best performance options (for the buck, that is)? I
don't have the $$$ for major mods, so a few bolt-ons are what I'm really
after. I'm looking for a cheap GT take-off dual exhaust that should add a
few hps with the CAI, but what else is out there? Underdrive pulleys? Are
they worth it? Any factory warranty voids here? I know gears are a good
way to go too, but they can get pretty expensive right? Any thoughts and
advice are appreciated.

Thanks again,
Just A Guy

ps.com...

Old February 13th 05, 10:20 PM
Generic

"Just A Guyİ" > wrote in message
> You're probably right, but then again, there isn't much out there in mod
> options for a V6 without getting into supercharging and the like. In your
> opinion, what are my best performance options (for the buck, that is)? I
> don't have the $$$ for major mods, so a few bolt-ons are what I'm really
> after. I'm looking for a cheap GT take-off dual exhaust that should add a
> few hps with the CAI, but what else is out there? Underdrive pulleys?

Are
> they worth it? Any factory warranty voids here? I know gears are a good
> way to go too, but they can get pretty expensive right? Any thoughts and
> advice are appreciated.
>
> Thanks again,
> Just A Guy

The cheap bolt-ons that are effective become factory standard.
Superchargers, turbos and nitrous all work, but all cost money and have
potential issues. You'll be in the same performance ballpark unless you
spend real money. I'd put the cheap bolt-on wastage toward a set of good
tires or something.

-John

Old February 14th 05, 01:24 AM
Claud Spinks

Just A Guyİ wrote:
> You're probably right, but then again, there isn't much out there in mod
> options for a V6 without getting into supercharging and the like. In your
> opinion, what are my best performance options (for the buck, that is)? I
> don't have the $$$ for major mods, so a few bolt-ons are what I'm really
> after. I'm looking for a cheap GT take-off dual exhaust that should add a
> few hps with the CAI, but what else is out there? Underdrive pulleys? Are
> they worth it? Any factory warranty voids here? I know gears are a good
> way to go too, but they can get pretty expensive right? Any thoughts and
> advice are appreciated.
>
> Thanks again,
> Just A Guy
>
> "mustangjoe" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> from what i've heard and read CAI's are a wast of money from a
> performance perspective.
> Claud Spinks wrote:
>
>>Just A Guyİ wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking to install a cold air intake on my new 2004 V6, but I

> want
>
>>>to know the details regarding warranty voids first. Since I still

> have
>
>>>3 yrs left on my warranty, I don't want to void it at this point

> over a
>
>>>smiple mod such as a CAI that will only add 5-6 hp anyway. Does

> anyone
>
>>>know if there is a certain brand of CAI that doesn't void the Ford
>>>factory warranty? I've been looking at those cheap $30 eBay CAIs,

> since
>
>>>they are probably the best bang for the buck, but obviously I am

> willing
>
>>>to pay much more for something that doesn't void my warranty.
>>>
>>>Any suggestions?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Just A Guy
>>>
>>>2004 3.9L V6

>>Installing a CAI will not void your factory warranty. Installing a

> CAI
>
>>probably will not net you 5-6 horsepower either (at least not by
>>itself.) If you want to put one on, use a bright shiny one. At least

> you
>
>>are "dressing" up the engine bay. Be very careful of using an oil

> type
>
>>filter (K & N) with your 3.8/3.9L engine. The MAF sensors are very
>>susceptible to causing engine knock if they get any oil on them at

> all.
>
>>Again, I am not saying you can't use one of these filters, just use

> them
>
>>exactly as the directions say. Then, if the engine knocks, you have a

>>good place to start looking for a problem.
>>Claud

Without a Supercharger or Nitrous, the V6 will still be a V6. That said,
they are alot better than the pre-99 V6's. Some people feel that the V6
is a better autocross platform because of weight and balance. You may
want to make a corner carver out of your V6. Do a google search for
Kenny Brown and see what he offers in the way of V6 suspension mods.
Also, do another search for V6 Mustang performance. There are at least 2
or 3 websites that cater to the V6'ers. However, without going all out
with a SC or nitrous, pouring money on V6 horsepower mods is not very
cost effective.
Claud

Old February 14th 05, 02:01 AM

A CAI will yield no power increase in a V6. I honestly don't think I got any power increase on my V8. I have no dyno sheets to prove either way, but I "felt" nothing. It is neat engine dress-up, but that's about all on a naturally aspirated motor. Build the suspension & braking on that V6... then worry about going fast.

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

Old February 14th 05, 03:12 AM
JohnW

My son has an '04 V6 that to me always seemed "lethargic". I drove it today
after he installed a dual cat back exhaust and MAC CAI kit. Frankly, it
sounded better, looked cooler, and subjectively, seemed a bit more peppy.
No rocketship, but no slouch either.

Just my two cents...

Old February 14th 05, 03:28 PM
Just A Guyİ

Yeah, basically what I'm looking for too. I don't want something to compete
with the V8s and the such, just something to intimidate those riced imports
and look cool while doing it. All I'm looking for is a little more "pep,"
good looks, and good sound. I know putting my money into something more
worthwhile may be better in the long run, but I don't plan on keeping this
car for very long, so I just want something to play with with the little $$$
I have. Dual exhaust and CAI seem to be in the near future. I'm just
trying to iron out the details of the warranty so I don't get into trouble
when it's time to take the car into the shop for its regular inspection and
check-up.

So, anymore warranty warnings I should know about before I reach for my
wallet?

Thanks,
Just A Guy

news

Old February 14th 05, 07:11 PM

In order for a warranty to be voided, they must *prove* that it was the
aftermarket part that caused the problem. Why put money into a car you're
not going to keep very long? Makes no sense to me... take your girlfriend
out on a nice date or 2 or 5. Or buy some new tools. Or get a new game. Or

-Mike

--

"Just A Guyİ" > wrote in message
> Yeah, basically what I'm looking for too. I don't want something to

compete
> with the V8s and the such, just something to intimidate those riced

imports
> and look cool while doing it. All I'm looking for is a little more "pep,"
> good looks, and good sound. I know putting my money into something more
> worthwhile may be better in the long run, but I don't plan on keeping this
> car for very long, so I just want something to play with with the little

$$$
> I have. Dual exhaust and CAI seem to be in the near future. I'm just
> trying to iron out the details of the warranty so I don't get into trouble
> when it's time to take the car into the shop for its regular inspection

and
> check-up.
>
> So, anymore warranty warnings I should know about before I reach for my
> wallet?
>
> Thanks,
> Just A Guy
>
> "JohnW" > wrote in message
> news
> > My son has an '04 V6 that to me always seemed "lethargic". I drove it
> > today after he installed a dual cat back exhaust and MAC CAI kit.
> > Frankly, it sounded better, looked cooler, and subjectively, seemed a

bit
> > more peppy. No rocketship, but no slouch either.
> >
> > Just my two cents...
> >
> > "mustangjoe" > wrote in message
> > ps.com...
> > from what i've heard and read CAI's are a wast of money from a
> > performance perspective.
> > Claud Spinks wrote:

> > want

> > have

> > over a

> > anyone

> > since

> > willing

> >> Installing a CAI will not void your factory warranty. Installing a

> > CAI
> >> probably will not net you 5-6 horsepower either (at least not by
> >> itself.) If you want to put one on, use a bright shiny one. At least

> > you
> >> are "dressing" up the engine bay. Be very careful of using an oil

> > type
> >> filter (K & N) with your 3.8/3.9L engine. The MAF sensors are very
> >> susceptible to causing engine knock if they get any oil on them at

> > all.
> >> Again, I am not saying you can't use one of these filters, just use

> > them
> >> exactly as the directions say. Then, if the engine knocks, you have a

> >> good place to start looking for a problem.
> >> Claud

98 Jetta water pump...cpo warranty Woodchuck VW water cooled 3 January 7th 05 01:33 AM
C5 problems (98 in particular) radar Corvette 12 January 3rd 05 10:04 PM
Body computer; Warranty Direct , Ideas? PhilipS Alfa Romeo 2 December 21st 04 10:03 PM
Warranty question DFS BMW 8 October 14th 04 03:57 PM
Warranty Direct or other warranty companies john smith General 4 March 6th 04 02:50 PM